Topic: Portfolio of systems - multiple systems on the same currency?

Hi Guys,

I wonder how you are handling the following topic - lets say you have 2 systems running on EURUSD,

1)  15m short term system.
2)  1hour trend reversal system.

there will be a situation where your system 1 places a buy order,  and system 2 places a sell order.   My observation is that MT4 wont open up the second position  (sure you are hedged and any move, providing the position sizes are the same wont make any money).

So my question is - how do you handle this in MT4   - just have 1 system per pair per sub account?

Re: Portfolio of systems - multiple systems on the same currency?

DoCZero wrote:

Hi Guys,

I wonder how you are handling the following topic - lets say you have 2 systems running on EURUSD,

1)  15m short term system.
2)  1hour trend reversal system.

there will be a situation where your system 1 places a buy order,  and system 2 places a sell order.   My observation is that MT4 wont open up the second position  (sure you are hedged and any move, providing the position sizes are the same wont make any money).

So my question is - how do you handle this in MT4   - just have 1 system per pair per sub account?

You life in America? Fifo Rules?

In Germany, i can all open, what i will.

Hi Rantampla,

nah worked it out -  on this broker hedging is currently disabled on the Demo account. Previously i was not testing on demo account - and made the change this week. So just learning curve issues smile

4 (edited by hannahis 2017-09-06 15:38:06)

It's tough to be a US trader.

Option 1.

If I were to faced such restrictions, this is what I'll try to do.

Open 2 accounts.

One account only for buy and another account only for sell.  At the MT4 EA's input tab, I'll choose 1 direction (buy/sell only).

Then load my same batch of EA in both MT4 terminals.

Option 2.

I'll write to President Trump to request for the restrictions to be removed.  Just as he is also removing lots of other restrictions on company that dampened companys' growth and expansion.  smile

hannahis wrote:

Open 2 accounts.
One account only for buy and another account only for sell.  At the MT4 EA's input tab, I'll choose 1 direction (buy/sell only).
Then load my same batch of EA in both MT4 terminals

As a US client I've also run into this problem.  This is an interesting idea.  I've haven't tried this but I'm not sure it will work.  Yes, you can open multiple buys, but when one of your EAs signals a close, then your portfolio must close transactions in the order they were opened, otherwise MT4 will report an error and nothing gets closed.  And closing transactions in the order they were created will probably break your strategies.

No, as Steve says it will not work (if you are in U.S.). U.S. regulations make it impossible to run multiple EAs on one account. Another case of big government regulation and "government knows best."

U.S. traders are forced to open an account with an offshore broker. lmfx is the one I will be using.