Topic: Advice and tips for a newbie to ForexSB

Hi Guys n Gals,

First of all - i've spent a few days with ForexSB pro and finding it an amazing piece of software. I'm coming from background where I've been trading for over 10 years and my primary tool for system building has been forex tester 2 & 3.   I have recent started looking to evolve my testing process and trialed ForexSB.  I was floored by the speed of this software and think its incredible. 

As you guys experienced with the software - i'd love to know what tips you have for both using the software and building a successful system. 

Any advice you think could help anyone is very welcome!  (no limitations!)

Appreciate your help in advance!

Re: Advice and tips for a newbie to ForexSB

Take notes. Try different things, like using no stop loss, or using huge lot sizes. Try using more opening logic slots then try with less, take notes and see what you can come up with. It makes things easier but you still got to work at it...

"Robustness is a mustness" - jimmy

I bought FSBPro around October last year. I think it's a powerful and useful tool, but like all things in FX it does not lead you to the holy grail (because that doesn't exist wink)

My own humble and simple advice based on the last 8 months of use, is to use the software to help and refine your natural style of trading.

There's a lot of functionality there, but I try to keep it as simple as possible, as I am a simple guy big_smile

All the best!

... use the software to help and refine your natural style of trading.

Excellent comment!

You are completely right that not the software is important, BUT YOU. These programs help you to test different scenarios and ideas and with the the time you will find the best way to use them.

Today a FSB Pro user told me that he was created a strategy for a broker a year ago. They are using the strategy unchanged for managing 1.5 mil $ PAM account at the moment. The interesting part is that he was working for them as a market analyzer at that time and they asked him to make an expert. He has searched for tools for creating experts and found FSB Pro. The mention strategy was the first he was created and it still working on profit smile .

Great information so far - thanks guys - keep it coming.

How about validation of a trading system? Currently i've been getting a equity curve I like, looking at 30% OOS, then throwing the system into montycarlo analysis to see the spread and distribution of outcomes.

What do you do?

Use Multi Markets...... it is sorta ruthless but cuts down on curve fitting

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

Hi Blaiserboy - Great comment, yet I struggle a little with the concept. I have a belief that different markets have different profiles in terms of how they range and how they trend. Can you share your thoughts on that topic?  and also it would be of great interest to understand what your setup for multi markets is?

Appreciate the help in advance!

I do not consider different profiles and trends....... I allow the generator to do that. Multi Markets I use same time frame and one lower for a few currencies.

I do not think you can expect the generator to see a trend...... what it does is take a huge number of math calculations and comes up with a result whether the market is ranging or trending, it selects one pattern and executes that wherever possible. We determine as to whether we will trade with that pattern based on the statistics.

This is all math, nothing to do with trends.

My advice. use a lot of data and expect to have to use a lot of different strategies so that you can weed out the poor performers quickly.

My advice. use a lot of data and expect to have to use a lot of different strategies so that you can weed out the poor performers quickly

In developing a large number of different strategies be sure to keep your records in order and easy to find. Its easy to forget and misplace the original strategy.

"Robustness is a mustness" - jimmy

I think you have to see the strategies as producing trades for one specific setup, and that setup may occur frequently or infrequently.
In order to get many setups to trade, one needs a lot of strategies.
More strategies are needed if the acceptance criteria is strict.

So...... in order to get all of the good setups, a person may need something like 30 or even 50 ea's for one currency pair timeframe.

And. as Jimmydaytrades mentions...... they have to be documented well.

It takes a lot of time to generate excellent strategies to get every trade in a time frame..... but that time is well spent when trading the real account.