1 (edited by fmFXbr 2017-05-09 19:17:15)

Topic: Initial Practices

Hello friends. I bought the "Mega Pack". I'm definitely starting to use the program now. I really believe in the power of a forum like this, where savvy and experienced users can help beginners in their first steps. I believe in the potential of the program and tested it for a few months, until I decided to buy it. With the little I studied, I learned the operational part almost 100%. My big problem is how to put the parts together. So it's a logic problem. For example, I have been able to create seemingly profitable strategies, with a very low drawdown (5%), but when I run the Monte Carlo or Multi Market analysis, the strategy proves to be very useless. So, I appeal to the most experienced users of this forum: please share with me your roadmap or "step by step instructions". Where to start, what parameters to consider, what is the best timeframe ... what do you do to create good strategies? I ask, please, that only those who really want to contribute to my development give opinions and write here. Anyway, I am here to make friends and, who knows, in the future contribute in some way. Thank you all!

Re: Initial Practices

Keep in mind that an automated approach is much different from the visuals of manual trading.

My suggestion is that you start with the daily timne frame until you get some good idea as to what the software will do.

Keep things simple, use only a couple indicators, I siggest 2 only at the start.

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

Blaiserboy wrote:

Keep in mind that an automated approach is much different from the visuals of manual trading.

My suggestion is that you start with the daily timne frame until you get some good idea as to what the software will do.

Keep things simple, use only a couple indicators, I siggest 2 only at the start.

Thank you very much. The problem with daily chart is stagnation. But I follow your advice.

My ideas may not be the best, just things I have used.
Regarding stagnation.... I got around that by using different strategies, different pairs. Build a portfolio.
My consideration was to limit risk so I used very small orders and could then have quite a few open at the same time.

There is the pairs, the cfd's etc to help get past the stagnation problem.

I suggest patience in getting things trading on a real account....... experiment with the software to explore all of the possibilities.

If you are frustrated with daily. drop it down to 240 minute.....

Keep asking questions as they arise..... it is important that you have success.

Blaiserboy wrote:

My ideas may not be the best, just things I have used.
Regarding stagnation.... I got around that by using different strategies, different pairs. Build a portfolio.
My consideration was to limit risk so I used very small orders and could then have quite a few open at the same time.

There is the pairs, the cfd's etc to help get past the stagnation problem.

I suggest patience in getting things trading on a real account....... experiment with the software to explore all of the possibilities.

If you are frustrated with daily. drop it down to 240 minute.....

Keep asking questions as they arise..... it is important that you have success.

Amazing! I will follow your advice. Thanks, my dear!

Hi there, Blaiserboy. I hope you can help me with a basic step-by-step process to create good strategies.

I believe that to start would be to understand the best configuration by parts (considering your best practice).

Let's start with the EDITOR tab:
https://s3.postimg.org/p2hy2zagf/FSB_1_-_Editor.png

I really have a lot of questions about which option to choose: Percent or Lot. What is your best experience with:
1. Entry Amount and Maximum Lots;
2. Additional Entry Signals;
3. Position Protection.

Regarding the GENERATOR tab, what is your best experience?

https://s7.postimg.org/jzpaj3ouv/FSB_1_-_Generator.png

1. Should I check the "Generate Additional Entry Signals" options?
2. Should I choose the options to use Stop Loss, Take Profit and Break Even? What's better: "Keep Original"? "Always Use"? "May Use"? "Do Not Use"?
3. How many Slots should I use for best odds on "Maximum Counts of Slots"?

Still in relation to the GENERATOR tab:

https://s9.postimg.org/44rocbxxn/FSB_1_-_Generator_2.png

1. What is the best option I should choose for "Search Best": Net Balance? System Quality number? Sharpe Ratio? Max Equity drawdown? Annualized profit? Average HPR? Geometric HPR? Profit Factor? Win/Loss ratio?

2. Which parameter do you use in "Additional Settings"?
a. Use default numeric values
b. Use Al history learning
c. Optimize strategy
d. Normalize Strategy

3. How many threads should I choose in "Number of Parallel Threads"?

9 (edited by fmFXbr 2017-05-25 15:47:25)

Regarding the INDICATORS, you use all or choose just a few. How do you configure:

1. "Opening Point of the Position"
2. "Opening Logic Condition"
3. "Opening Point of the Position"
4. "Closing Logic Condition"

https://s30.postimg.org/4pzl0k2p9/FSB_1_-_Indicators.png

Another thing that intrigues me is the settings of the General tab of Control Panel:

https://s10.postimg.org/j1cu8gdl1/FSB_1_-_Control_Panel.png

How should I configure this part?

Parallel threads..... just use two or three

In reply to your questions, there is excellent documentation available..... and you can research thiongs at your leisure.

For me to answer all of your questions would not do you much good as you would be unable to rectify any problems. How you interpret the software would be much different from myself.

You will be able to learn a lot from your own experience, far more than from me explaining the answers to all of your questions.

Trading is a business of decisions and methods of arriving at decisions.... you will have to make decisions based on your own research and your own results........ OR you will be unable to advance.

What is important is that you study each aspect and experiment and record your results both failures and successes.

Keep a detailed journal. Make a lot of notes...... you will find the notebook to be a great resource.

If I was to reply to all of your questions, I would be cheating you of the opportunity to understand the software and that would be to your detriment. eventually you will have to learn for yourself.

Last but not least: ACCEPTANCE CRITERIA.

https://s9.postimg.org/5zdbpjiqj/FSB_1_-_Acceptance_Criteria.png

How do you set this up for best results?

Blaiserboy wrote:

Parallel threads..... just use two or three

In reply to your questions, there is excellent documentation available..... and you can research thiongs at your leisure.

For me to answer all of your questions would not do you much good as you would be unable to rectify any problems. How you interpret the software would be much different from myself.

You will be able to learn a lot from your own experience, far more than from me explaining the answers to all of your questions.

Trading is a business of decisions and methods of arriving at decisions.... you will have to make decisions based on your own research and your own results........ OR you will be unable to advance.

What is important is that you study each aspect and experiment and record your results both failures and successes.

Keep a detailed journal. Make a lot of notes...... you will find the notebook to be a great resource.

If I was to reply to all of your questions, I would be cheating you of the opportunity to understand the software and that would be to your detriment. eventually you will have to learn for yourself.

Dude, I just need to start well to have the motivation to continue studying. So far I have not been successful using the program, and with that, I fear losing motivation. I have a very busy life with work, my family and my manual trades. Even so, I'm reserving quality time to study the program. Algo Trading is a new thing for me. I really recognize that I need help or even a little push just to get on the heels. Please help me! THANKS!

Hello.

I can say, look the Videos from Popov.

I have very bad Englisch but show all Videos.

After this i have make the self what in Videos show.

After this i have played with settings.

After this i have every Day a new Idea and Begin from first.

The EA´s i test on Demo, when good after small time i test on Real.

On Real i have all Accounts connected with www.fxblue.com

With that you can all check, and see that Bots are good or Bad.

Bad Bots i delete and good Bots i let run...

I read the Forum and on some Time a have a new Idea and test it.

I have now run, much Bots from FSB Pro and much from EAStudio.

EAStudio with Portfolio Expert i have different Results. Best for me at this Time are in EurChf.

I hope it help you, that you see, you must play with Software and then you learn.

smile

rantampla wrote:

Hello.

I can say, look the Videos from Popov.

I have very bad Englisch but show all Videos.

After this i have make the self what in Videos show.

After this i have played with settings.

After this i have every Day a new Idea and Begin from first.

The EA´s i test on Demo, when good after small time i test on Real.

On Real i have all Accounts connected with www.fxblue.com

With that you can all check, and see that Bots are good or Bad.

Bad Bots i delete and good Bots i let run...

I read the Forum and on some Time a have a new Idea and test it.

I have now run, much Bots from FSB Pro and much from EAStudio.

EAStudio with Portfolio Expert i have different Results. Best for me at this Time are in EurChf.

I hope it help you, that you see, you must play with Software and then you learn.

smile

Thanks, rantampla. I will try to do my best! See ya!

Hey, I know all about learning how to use this software, and how frustrating it can be..... I have spent years trying to  develop strategies.

I am goping to suggest that this weekend you take some time and study the meaning of the criteria on the Multi Charts page...... use a search engine and learn what those terms mean. Learn also the meanings of the terms used in the strategy summary...... because those are going to be your criteria for accepting or rejecting a strategy.

I siggest that you insert something into 'opening logic' and put the 'chain' on it and let the generator do its thing for a few hours and then examine the results.

One of the forum members likes to use the Ross Hook. try using that....

Do not complex things. FSBPro has many, many options..... You do not have to use all of them at once..... Personally I do not use many because I like simple strategies.

Oncve you have some results.... start looking at the indicator charts for your results...., attempt to modify the results by using the editor and making changes.

This will be a very good education for you to learn to use the tools.

Gradually you will gain expertise.....

Once you have some results and then have unresolved questions..... start to post the strategies in here and ask. There will be a lot of help available once you post a strategy with questions.

You can see in recent posts..... the ones that have strategies and pics attached with specific questions get a lot of helpful replies....

Hi friend, thanks for the reply.

I experimented with every one of the indicators in every slot, when I started...

Gradually I became aware as to which indicators would work together.

I tried to use the 'Control Panel'......... and decided to leave them off. and then use the sorts in the Collections to find the ones I wanted to keep.

In the 'Generator ' screen at the top is 'Settings'.... that gives you a choice as to ordering your results.

The 'optimizer'  in the 'Collections' area has settings also....  The setting that you choose to optimize an individual strategy will be the one that is used in 'Multi Tester'..... so you will have to be sure of the setting that you want to use.

I suggest that at first you not use the higher time frame setting, it is not necessary.

I also suggest that you use simple orders at first.....  Perhaps develop a simple strategy that you like..... and then work with that one strategy to add the complexities....

Complexing a strategy may hide curve fitting......

When testing a strategy.... use the 'Market' screen and break the period into 5 or 6 parts and examine the journal for each part to ensure there is not a lot of losses grouped together which are unseen when looking at the complete strategy.

Because we use long periods to generate strategies, we can miss the bad periods and end up with substantial drawdowns.

We can be struck with 'Analysis Paralysis' because there are so many statistics available. Personally, I look at System Quality Number, Win/Loss, Profit Factor and Max Equity Drawdown to give me an idea as to suitability of a strategy. Others will have their own criteria....

Others in this forum have a much better knowledge of statistics and math than myself, hopefully  they will provide their input to your queries.

Amazing. Thank you very much!

Exiting the trade.....  the most important part.

To me... stop loss is a must.

Optinoally Break Even..

and....... Closing Logic.... you might want to have a couple in that area..

To get away from curve fitting.. perhaps lock the slots after using the optimizer....

This is where the instant backtest feature of FSBPro starts to shine..... you can make some changes and instantly see the results.  Adjusting the oscillators is simple and takes no time.

You mau want a Stop Loss and a couple more exits in closing logic.....  something that you have to test.

I forgot to mention...... when I am starting to generate a strategy.... I like to see 500 in the collection.. so I can sort it in many ways before narrowing down the choices.

I do not know the specifics... the generator is set up to gather information somehow and improve on it.....  so the longer it runs, the better the output.

Keep in mind please..... these are my personal ideas and they may be crap...... you have to make determinations for yourself.  And other members of the forum may have far better ideas...  I hope they would add their opinions also.

Thanks for you help, my friend. I will try to do my best.

22 (edited by jimmydaytrades 2017-05-27 04:03:41)

I mate, jump on the youtube channel and watch the vids posted by Popov. There is a series he runs about putting together a portfolio of strategies with an impressive result at the end. I found the vids to be a big help. I was struggling to get it running at first as well, but now I can pump and dump dozens of strategies per day...

I like to approach a strategy with an end goal in mind. I will ask some questions, then run over them.

Such as... What pairs to trade? What is my initial account balance? How much do I wanna risk? Should I trade only the US open? Do I wanna an active EA? Should I try a single market or multiple? etc etc etc....

Its a good idea to take notes as well. Like if you had a starting balance of 1k and you want a MAX DD% less than 1% what can you tweak in the strategy creator to develop your EA. Take notes of what worked and what didn't.

The image is an example of a quick strategy I put together, ready for a demo account (according to my criteria) it took all of several minutes to create...
https://s2.postimg.org/wcmfmti9h/quick_strategy.png

The software is amazing you just gotta experiment and play around with it, read over the wiki and watch the vids on youtube. Trading is not easy, but this software surely makes it feel that way.

"Robustness is a mustness" - jimmy

I really have a lot of questions about which option to choose: Percent or Lot. What is your best experience with:
1. Entry Amount and Maximum Lots;
Personal preference and depends on initial account balance.
2. Additional Entry Signals;
Do you want to add to existing positions.
3. Position Protection.
Do you want to use a hard SL and TP with the strategy.

1. Should I check the "Generate Additional Entry Signals" options?
Do you want to generate additional signals? So if your in a winner do you wanna add to it or leave it alone?
2. Should I choose the options to use Stop Loss, Take Profit and Break Even? What's better: "Keep Original"? "Always Use"?
"May Use"? "Do Not Use"?
Depends on your preference.

3. How many Slots should I use for best odds on "Maximum Counts of Slots"?
Again you need to play with it. Blaiserboy advocates a minimum amount, I have seen another fellow that runs 8. Again it depends on your approach.

1. What is the best option I should choose for "Search Best": Net Balance? System Quality number? Sharpe Ratio? Max Equity drawdown? Annualized profit? Average HPR? Geometric HPR? Profit Factor? Win/Loss ratio?
What do you want to achieve from the strategy? Learn what each statistic means then you can filter out what you want.

2. Which parameter do you use in "Additional Settings"?
Again this is an area that is highly personalized not only by the strategy but by your own risk tolerance and what you hope to achieve. experiment and see what you come up with.

a. Use default numeric values
b. Use Al history learning
c. Optimize strategy
d. Normalize Strategy
That is covered in the YT vids. Cant remember exactly.

3. How many threads should I choose in "Number of Parallel Threads"?
What ever your CPU can handle.

Another thing that intrigues me is the settings of the General tab of Control Panel:
Play around with it.

Step one watch YT vids (yes I said it 100x)
Step two EXPERIMENT.
Step three come back here and post about how awesome you are at making strategies.

"Robustness is a mustness" - jimmy

My friend, thank you very much for all your help.

Friends, please answer me if I can or can not run three strategies creation processes using the same instrument and same timeframe.

For example:
1. Strategy 1 = Random creation process;
2. Strategy 2 = Creation of strategies based specifically on RSI;
3. Strategy 3 = Optimization of a strategy that I found interesting.

https://s22.postimg.org/dfiddfygt/Screenshot_2017-07-12_11.12.26.png