forex software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

forex software

Skip to forum content

Forex Software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forex Software → Forex Strategy Builder Professional → FSBPro: Is there a way to extend the 100 strategies limit?

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

Topic: FSBPro: Is there a way to extend the 100 strategies limit?

As mentioned here several times: If I create strategies with OOS the "ranking" is done by the none OOS results. Which would be fine if there wasn't the 100 strategies limit. Without the limit I could copy the resulting collection and sort it by 'all data'.
I know that EA Studio can do this but for several reasons an online tool is no option for me. Any ideas?

Thanks

Re: FSBPro: Is there a way to extend the 100 strategies limit?

Are you referring to 'Collections"?

There is not really a limit..... all of the strategies are in the file, it only shows the top 100 for your sort.. change the sort and you get a different group showing...

Hope that helps.

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

Thanks for your reply but I'm afraid you're wrong. I checked the .coll file and there are 100 strategies only, no matter how many have been collected....

Since you guys brought this up, I also have an observation to report.

It seems the collection really is limited to 100 strategies.  Furthermore, strategies only make it into the collection if their Net Balance is one of the 100 best Net Balances.  However, a strategy with a high Net Balance may not have the best overall statistics.  So, though I may be generating strategies with better overall statistics, if their Net Balance isn't among the 100 highest Net Balances then it won't make it into the collection.  At least, that's what it looks like to me.  I might be wrong, but it would be the first time (though my wife would probably disagree).

The sorting seems to apply only to the 100 strategies that have already made the grade and currently exist in the collection.

One workaround is to keep creating new Collections -- but this is less than ideal if you want to run the generator for several hours.  When you let the generator run for a few hours you'll notice that, over time, fewer and fewer strategies get added to your collection.  This is because after the first 100 slots have been filled, then it becomes harder and harder for a strategy to be promoted since it has to have one of the best 100 Net Balances.

I'm wondering -- could another option be added to the program that allows the user to choose which metric is used to allow a new strategy to be added once the first 100 slots have been filled?  For example, I would like to use System Quality Number or Sharpe Ratio ratio instead of Net Balance.  This is a little different than using the Acceptance Criteria.  Even when using the Acceptance Criteria, the collection maxes-out when it reaches 100 strategies with the highest Net Balance.

Use the Acceptance Criteria to filter out the strategies with lower stats. That will make the Generator pushing only strategies you want. You can adjust the criteria in a way that the Generator to produce 10-20 strategies per day. Then the 100 strategies limit will not bother you.

I'd be doing exactly that but there is no way to set criteria for OOS. EA Studio has the 'validate all data" check box, FSB does not.

With regards to your suggestion to use Acceptance Criteria -- thanks, Popov.  I think my problem was I was not making best use of that.

On one hand, I like the idea of letting the Generator run unrestricted and then later sift through a collection to pick the ones I like best.  But then I'm missing-out on the benefits of using the Acceptance Criteria feature.  I think now I understand a little better that I need to compromise between "unrestricted" and Acceptance Criteria to focus more on strategies with better statistics and less on Net Balance.

I kinda solved this problem by using "save as" for a collection once it nears the 100 mark. On this way I receive say c1 to c10 with almost 1000 strategies. Those I then feed into the multi tester one by one and extract the ones with the best result including the OOS part.
However, this is cumbersome and requires me to sit in front of the screen for potentially a very long time. But the results are better and I achieve the same as with ea studio but w/o the dreaded optimization that I can't switch off there.

One way to get around all the data manipulation is to use ZAPIER to make some little routines and that way you can automate the whole process.

You can open four or five instances of FSBPro and move things back and forth and automate many processes.

Or, you can hire a virtual assistant to do the heavy lifting. Have a look at the Fiverr site to recruit someone.

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Forex Software → Forex Strategy Builder Professional → FSBPro: Is there a way to extend the 100 strategies limit?