1 (edited by chief2000 2009-09-24 09:48:41)

Topic: Why there is 50 000 Bars limitation?

Hello,

Why there is a limit for 50 000 bars only?
I think, this is less than 1 year of history on 5 min timaframe.

Thank you!

Re: Why there is 50 000 Bars limitation?

Yes, I was wondering that too. I was testing a strategy on 5 min. chart and 50000 bars comes to 9 months or so. That is a small sample for testing purposes.

When you use large number of bars it may can slow down speed from the platform.

May it is possible to increase number of bars in settings.  smile

The max bars limit is set in the config.xml file.
If you want to experiment with larger data set, increase:

<MAX_BARS>50000</MAX_BARS>

After that you can adjust the current max bars limit from "Data Horizon" dialogue.

Two problems may arise:
- program slow down
- out of memory error (500000+ bars)

My tests show that FSB works fine with much much bigger amount of Bars, but with 4 GB of memory on PC. But I agree - if anybody has less, than he probably should not increase the number in the config file or limit it in Data Horizon.

Hello chief2000, please tell more about your experiences and experiments with 4 GB of RAM. How much bars can you incude without problems with 4 GB of RAM ? At what point does the problems start ? What about the performance ?

The memory limitations of several windows OS's.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library … S.85).aspx

chief2000 wrote:

My tests show that FSB works fine with much much bigger amount of Bars, but with 4 GB of memory on PC. But I agree - if anybody has less, than he probably should not increase the number in the config file or limit it in Data Horizon.

Two years of  history with 1 MIN Bars on 15-30 MIN timeframe worked fine. I put 7 000 000 Bras limitation in the config file, but in reality there ~1 100 000 Bars will be used (as I remember). I didn't optimize tens of indicators at once (and I  did not use so many indicators). Rarely it crashed on memory, but I had the same problem with 50 000 Bars limits too (maybe because of some other heavy processes).
The biggest problem with FSB is that I couldn't test there different exits strategies (and there is no Break Even), so meanwhile I returned to programing with MetaTrader (looks like Break Even will be added in the next release).

zenoni wrote:

Hello chief2000, please tell more about your experiences and experiments with 4 GB of RAM. How much bars can you incude without problems with 4 GB of RAM ? At what point does the problems start ? What about the performance ?

The memory limitations of several windows OS's.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library … S.85).aspx

BTW, with Metatrader we can optimize 10 years of  history using 1 MIN bars on any timeframe and it takes only 30-50 MB of memory during optimization. This is because it does not keep all bars in memory. There two independent parameters:
1. number of bars in history (999999999...)
2. number of bars in window (65000)
And tester allows to show all trades on the whole history.

Popov wrote:

The max bars limit is set in the config.xml file.
If you want to experiment with larger data set, increase:

<MAX_BARS>50000</MAX_BARS>

After that you can adjust the current max bars limit from "Data Horizon" dialogue.

Two problems may arise:
- program slow down
- out of memory error (500000+ bars)

This is awesome!! give you a big kiss