Topic: Multiple instances of MFT

Hi Miroslav,

are there any plans to have the possibility to run multiple instances of MFT talking with different copies of the EA? I find it a bit limiting at the moment in that I want to forward test a strategy, so my single FST is running for that, and I cannot test anything else in the meantime.

I saw a post by someone suggesting to run different virtual machines for each copy, but I think this is a bit too much, given that in the future one might want to run a portfolio of systems... which is the way to go anyway, because no single system can perform well all the time.

Thanks.

Re: Multiple instances of MFT

The connection between MT and FST works via a named pipe. If we start another instance of FST or MT they interfere each other. I don't know how to workaround this.

I'll experiment later with different named pipes for the different instances.  A possible solution is the expert to generate unique pipe name at start up. After that this name to be entered in FST. In that case each couple expert - FST will work with their own pipe.

Any suggestions and ideas are welcome.

3 (edited by Nick 2009-11-25 20:06:28)

Popov wrote:

The connection between MT and FST works via a named pipe. If we start another instance of FST or MT they interfere each other. I don't know how to workaround this.

I'll experiment later with different named pipes for the different instances.  A possible solution is the expert to generate unique pipe name at start up. After that this name to be entered in FST. In that case each couple expert - FST will work with their own pipe.

Any suggestions and ideas are welcome.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Give the name of the pipe as parameter to the expert, and the same name in FST on startup. Then FST will attempt the connection, if it fails it can show a message that the specified pipe was not found.

Alternatively it might be possible to scan the pc for existing pipes and their names on FST startup, and suggest to the user which pipe/expert wants to connect to. But I am not sure if this can be done because I never worked with pipes before. But I will look it up and post here.

Edit: did a quick search, it's possible to discover existing pipes. http://www.coastrd.com/fcgi-white-paper/enum-named-pipes

I tried the exe and found 2 pips MT4 to FST and opposite way. Seems quite easy. So user configures pipe name in EA as parameter, FST discovers pipes and suggests to the user which one to connect to.

Edit: did a quick search, it's possible to discover existing pipes. http://www.coastrd.com/fcgi-white-paper/enum-named-pipes

That can help. Thank you.

One idea:
To add an "Expert_ID = 0" parameter to the expert and "Allow multiple instances = false" in FST. If this parameters are not changed, the program will work like now.

If a user wants several instances, he/she has to change  "Expert_ID" to some unique value.
In FST "allowing multiple instances" will show a text field for entering the Expert_ID. A small "ID" button on the trading bar of FST will allow changing the ID.

Any comments?

I made some tests with two FST instances working with two MT terminals on EURUSD 1M.

http://s3.postimage.org/1sy63A.jpg

The work on trading of multiple strategies simultaneously is in progress. Currently we are testing how several copies of FST work with several MT charts. On each chart a copy of MT4-FST Expert is started. The synchronization between FST and the expert works by means of an ID number. This ID has to be set in the expert parameters list at starting. The same ID has to be set also in FST.

This picture shows how 4 copies of FST trade on four charts in one MT.

http://s3.postimage.org/1AUBGi.jpg

You can expect this release till December 10th.

I am using now FST on two PC because, though I am trading the same strategy, the values of the indicators are different for EU and GU. Please take into consideration also this. How to use two or multiple different strategies in the same instance of the FST? Thank you for your work gospodin Popov.