Topic: Can not check the box "Use previous bar value"

hello
I am new in using FSB Pro, and so far i find it amazing. I was very happy to see that its possible to use longer time frames to filter your entries and exits. But now i see that i can not check the box 'Use previous bar value", and it says next to it (automatically set). I am not sure what that means. I will be very happy if someone can tell me how can check it, so i can choose to use it or not

Thanks indeed
Petko

Re: Can not check the box "Use previous bar value"

Hello Petko,

The option "Use previous bar value" states when an indicator uses values from the previous bar for calculating the current bar signal.

For example, if an entry rule indicator uses "Bar Close" base price, it obviously cannot produce a correct signal until the end of the bar, however, if the strategy opens a position at, let's say Moving Average, it may happen at the middle of a bar. FSB will use the previous values of the entry rule indicator for filtering the entry at MA. The opposite, would be looking in the future and would produce highly overestimated backtest results.

The above example is relatively simple, but there are some very complex cases and it is very difficult to decide whether to check on or of the option.

We fixed that issue by adding a complex algorithm that makes these decisions instead of the users and checks on and off the option automatically.  We found out this behavior more safe for the traders.

Hello Mr Popov,

thank you very much for the quick response. As i understand i can not choose whether to use it or not and it is set as default. I understand also that the back testing result will be over estimated and it will give a lot of difficulties in using it in most of the indicators(Programming is far from my eyes) So i just try to understand how it works

Anyway i came to this question, when i wanted to use the Haiken Ashi as a filter on D1 and H1, to filter my trades in the lower time frames as M5 and M1, but i  realized that, if the EA is based on the Previous bar values it will look at yesterday's bar for the color of the Haiken Ashi. And if today's one is already for example white, it will still take the short position?

As i said i want to understand how FSB creates the EAs, and if it is so then i believe the most appropriate way is to use just 1 time frame, as you suggested me in one another post

Thank you
Petko

Here is an article for the Use previous bar value option.

Haiken Ashi bars uses the full bar range. It means that the bar must be completed in order to have a reliable signal.
The program correctly uses the previous bar value. In the other case it may give you a false signal.

Lets see an example.

Lets to be noontime. If the current bar is bullish and H.A. allow long entry, your strategy may open a long position. Let's at the end of the day some "bad" news force the market down and it finally close below the opening. Your long position would be at a loss. Let's several days after that trade we import the history in FSB Pro and perform a backtest. In the backtest we will see a bearish bar for that day and no long position. This is discrepancy between the backtest and the real signals our experts produce. Such strategy is so dangerous that you may lose your money and will not understand how. (It really happened to me 15 years ago, and took me 4 months to understand that the reason was indicators that repaint the signals).

As i said i want to understand how FSB creates the EAs, and if it is so then i believe the most appropriate way is to use just 1 time frame, as you suggested me in one another post

This was not the problem with the LTF indicators. They work just fine if you know what to watch. An LTF indicator may show discrepancy in an Expert Advisor if it uses Exponential smoothing, the main time frame indicators use Simple smoothing, and relatively short periods. In such case, the EA cannot determine how much bars exactly are needed for the LTF indicator sin order to produce stable signals (as you know the Exponential smoothing depends on the history length).

It is safe to use LTF indicators with Simple smoothing.
When you want to use LTF with Exponential smoothing, you have to watch how many bars the expert loads. If it loads a small number at startup (let's say 200 - 300) you may manually set the count in the expert code.

All these issues are perfectly detectable when you compare the indicator values in MT and in FSB chart.

i agree with the Haiken Ashi repainting, it took me also some losses to realize all about the repining indicators the last few years.

Now i understand how FSB works with these indicators and should rethink my strategies learned in the past, if i can not avoid using the previous bar value. i understand you have made it for safer reasons in the back testing(as far as i understand what you wrote me)

I hope later in the future that i can choose weather to use it or not, because i tested some strategies manually and i think they would be profitable if the EA uses the current bar value

anyway till that time will focus on developing the EAs using the simple methods in LTFs, or using just 1 time frame

thank you for the support

Regards
Petko

I hope later in the future that i can choose weather to use it or not, because i tested some strategies manually and i think they would be profitable if the EA uses the current bar value

Yes, you are completely right that there are probably millions of strategies that work without "Use previous bar value". However, the purpose of our software is to provide an 100% correct backtest. We intentionally ignore those strategies and work "only" with the boundless number of strategies that can be safely backtested.