Topic: Very simple strategy

Hello

I have a number of EA building software packages, but really love what FSB brings to the table. Particularly with the MT4 Bridge which seems like a great way to manage a porfolio of EAs.  The problem I have at the moment, is whilst I am generating some pretty nice looking strategies just by playing around and using the generator, I am struggling to make simple strategies based on not much more than price. I have built some of these strategies in other packages, but want to run all of my EAs through the FSB-MT4 Bridge so I can easily monitor their live performance.

As an example, how can I build a simple momentum strategy that goes long when price closes above the high from 100 bars/days ago, and short if price closes below the price from 100 bars/days ago?

Many thanks

JRod

Re: Very simple strategy

Top Bottom Price indi, Donchian Channel indi... There are more indis for this.

I think what I am trying to understand more generally is how to create strategies that are based on price rather than indicators.  In other software packages you can generally create logic such as Close[1] > Close[100] or Close[1] crosses above Close[100], but I can't find where to do simple things such as this with FSB.

Understandable. It's easily done if you know which indi does what. In your second example you can use Moving Average Crossover indi.

Thanks Footon.  In your MA example, you would use a 1 period moving average crossing above a 1 period moving average with 100 period offset?

No problems. Yes, both with period of 1, one MA with a shift of 100.

how to create strategies that are based on price rather than indicators

Hello JRod,
All indicators are based on the historical prices. It means that we always trade "based on price". However, we cannot use a price directly in the program. We need some logical rule. For example - to open a position at "Bar Opening". The rule is simple - we open at the Open price of the bar, but in order to make a strategy we have this rule wrapped in an indicator called "Bar Opening".

Some indicators use the market prices directly, other uses some transformations, but we always use the prices. Except of the cases where we use Time or Volume smile.

When we want a particular trading rule, for example  Close[1] > Close[100] , we use an indicator that provides this rule. In that case we can use Momentum with the logical rule "Momentum is higher than Level" and Level = 0
Momentum (100) = Close[t] - Close[t-100].

http://s31.postimg.org/or0168ajb/screenshot_1541.jpg

All strategies you create with FSB are "price action". All info in this website is about that.