1 (edited by pradeepgolfer 2016-02-18 03:44:47)

Topic: Tale of two strategies-insights wanted

i developed two strategies 1.(66-a) and (2.)66-p95%. for convenience will label them 1 and 2 respectively.

1 is profitable showing a steady equity curve a max drawdown of 9% and on monte carlo a test score of 95%.

2 is showing a loss.

i put both on demo for a day 1 is howing only losses while 2 is showing a profit of 53 pips with a floating profit of 13 pips at the time of writing.

screen shots are attached

strategy2 is attached in the reply below: because i do not know how to attach a winzip file!

Post's attachments

strategy1.png 223.98 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Tale of two strategies-insights wanted

screenshot attached

Post's attachments

strategy2.png 231.09 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

well........

having been a trader for thirty years, what are your impressions?

What do you see as good aspects of each and not so good aspects of each?

What do you see as the next step.

How will you analyze them.

What benchmarks will you apply?

Considering your number of years as a trader you should be well versed as to what is required.

Perhaps you have to strategize a bit before you start...

Ask yourself what you are trying to create

What entries

What exits

How many opening logics

How many closing logics

Which indicators will get you the entries

Which indicators will get you the exits.

What performance do you require

Which ratios will you use for analysis

There is not much benefit to you or anyone else posting a couple pics without some well thought out idea as to what the purpose is.

You may not be aware...... because you have not studied the threads in the forum, that the most astute developers have rigid guidelines that they use for their strategies.

Perhaps you will develop your own guidelines so that you can post those with your strategies and ask then how to achieve your purpose.

There is not much sense working without a plan and a goal..... trading is a serious business, you will need to be much better organized.

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

you were asking about data download yesterday

I see that you have not downloaded additional

see this page

http://forexsb.com/forum/topic/5379/metatrader-to-fsb-data-export/

and be sure to read post 11  an excellent approach!

Blaiserboy wrote:

well........

having been a trader for thirty years, what are your impressions?

What do you see as good aspects of each and not so good aspects of each?

What do you see as the next step.

How will you analyze them.

What benchmarks will you apply?

Considering your number of years as a trader you should be well versed as to what is required.

Perhaps you have to strategize a bit before you start...

Ask yourself what you are trying to create

What entries

What exits

How many opening logics

How many closing logics

Which indicators will get you the entries

Which indicators will get you the exits.

What performance do you require

Which ratios will you use for analysis

There is not much benefit to you or anyone else posting a couple pics without some well thought out idea as to what the purpose is.

You may not be aware...... because you have not studied the threads in the forum, that the most astute developers have rigid guidelines that they use for their strategies.

Perhaps you will develop your own guidelines so that you can post those with your strategies and ask then how to achieve your purpose.

There is not much sense working without a plan and a goal..... trading is a serious business, you will need to be much better organized.

i think it shows that any bad strategy will give a profit for a day. i have added a few opening and closing logic conditions and that seems to make it better

i do have considerable knowledge and experience in market but i have no experience in translating that(!) into fsb language so that fsb can understand what i want. i am reading everything in wiki but that is only the beginning.

i wanted some insights from experienced fsb pros which was so kindly provided by you. thank you

Instead of moving from item to item. take one thing and persist until you get it right.

Yesterday you had questions about moving averages, posted the pics......... take one approach and work with it until you master it, no sense jumping around.

H has worked on her strategy for many weeks and months..... she laid it out on a chart as to what she thought would work and she then started to apply indicators..... that amount of work, unfortunately is what you will have to do.

She has a couple indicators that she has beaten up every way from Sunday to get what she wants.... hours upon hours upon hours......... one strategy!

She knows exactly what she wants from the thing.

Translating to fsb is simple........ open a chart in fsb and work back and forth with the indicators that you want until you get the trades to happen where you want them. Your knowledge of indicators will tell you what works....... just place them on the chart and build the strategy, adjust the parameters........ just as you would build a template in MT4.

And you will be able to see on the right hand side of the chart whether it is working.

Playing with the generator at this stage will be self defeating....., however once you have a strategy  constructed, then you can see what the generator might produce to improve your work.

Once you have something that you think you like....... then start to soup it up with MTF or multiple orders or whatever.

Thanks Dave, you seem to know the amount of beating I've given to my indicators and the amount of beatings (failures) I've made over the years.  Each time I "failed", I rest a bit and think where I've gone wrong.  Because I'm very sure that my trading theory works (that's why I never give up)...but just couldn't get the right "settings" and combinations...until finally.  No one would know how much discouragement I've to overcome in order to get the results I've now.

I always tell my kids...observe how people fail and you can tell whether they are winners or losers.  It is how we cope with failures that determine whether we are ready for success.

Losers complain about the Problems but Winners look for Solutions.

The reason why FSB keeps improving over the years because Popov is a winner (and perfectionist) at heart.  He dig in and work out the nuts and bolts and he never gives up (no matter how many complaints or discouragement he got)

thks for your suggestions

I understand what you are getting at:but i think using the generator may give ideas.

i am taking it step by step trying to learn about fsb first.

Popov says experiment.

Also i am in no hurry.My first priority is my health-i walk 8-15 km a day.

i have never used indicators in my life.so better i let fsb handle it,if it does not work then i will change my approach.

i do not have much time i am 60 years so my outlook is more a relaxed one.

Hi Pradeep,

I wish I'm at your state of life...taking things slowly. 

Where I'm, we are always hard press for time.  But I think it's a matter of state of mind to overcome life stresses.

My goodness, you walked so much...maybe you can start thinking about your trading strategies as you walk and ponder...or some other better things in life.

Take your own path and route in your FSB experimentation.  We are all geared up differently.  Footon and Dave are very technical and mathematical...I'm not so naturally I relied less on the "machine" and work on my own path...developing hundreds of EA and test it out in demo, instead of using the Monte Carlo, multi markets etc to tell me straight away...maybe I'm in denial, need to face these facts myself in demo trading or maybe I'm a hopeful, who despite the poor statistic, still believe in my trading strategy.  Either way, I'm happy with my learning journey (through the ups and downs)....so enjoy yours too.

10 (edited by pradeepgolfer 2016-02-18 10:42:59)

hannahis wrote:

Hi Pradeep,

I wish I'm at your state of life...taking things slowly. 

Where I'm, we are always hard press for time.  But I think it's a matter of state of mind to overcome life stresses.

My goodness, you walked so much...maybe you can start thinking about your trading strategies as you walk and ponder...or some other better things in life.

Take your own path and route in your FSB experimentation.  We are all geared up differently.  Footon and Dave are very technical and mathematical...I'm not so naturally I relied less on the "machine" and work on my own path...developing hundreds of EA and test it out in demo, instead of using the Monte Carlo, multi markets etc to tell me straight away...maybe I'm in denial, need to face these facts myself in demo trading or maybe I'm a hopeful, who despite the poor statistic, still believe in my trading strategy.  Either way, I'm happy with my learning journey (through the ups and downs)....so enjoy yours too.

yes but that does not stop us 'holding hands' and encouraging each other. it is not yet 48 hours since i started using fsb and it has been really fascinating.
i think you should use monte carlo it takes no more than a second

i love walking and that is why i played golf for 25 years. i stopped after marriage

Hi Pradeep,

I've different perspective on the use of optimizer and monte, etc. and hence, I don't use these features at all in my EA development.  In the past, I neither use Generator (because I already have my own trading theory and hence, don't need FSB to help me find one).  However, my recent experiment has changed my perspective and who knows...one day I would change the way I think about Optimizer and Monte Carlo, Multi market etc.  Never say never.

As for now, this is my current perspective....sometimes I feel that "one size fits them all", doesn't apply to EA development.  So in the pursuit to fit all markets, we might ended up fitting none or did it at the expense of compromising the EA's profitability/entry/exit accuracy, etc. (That's just my layman's view, so no eggs throwing please, ha, ha, ha).

However, I do think that a sound trading strategy does apply to all markets but need to tweak the settings here and there for each different market to accommodate with different price elasticity and volatility.  Thus, I would very much appreciated if I could have my "mini optimizer" that I mentioned else where in the forum, because if I have that tool, I believe all I need to do, is to take my EA and then "optimized" it for different markets (yet applying the same rules, conditions but tweak and changing only the base, signal and smoothing period, so that it would be "customized" to the each currencies unique trend and volatility.  In this manner, the "mini optimizer" would help make my EA robust and thus fits multimarkets.  This is my personal perspective and approach, if I've given a choice.

Sometime back, Popov mentioned that he thought of having an optimizer working all the time while the EA is trading...wow, that will be my dream come true.  I would then wish to have this "mini optimizer" running all the time and hence, it would self adjust for each and different market and yet my trading theory remain the same with all the same open/closing conditions.

I wonder if there should be a thread for your personal revelations and discussions and epiphanies so that the main forum is for FSBPro

Blaiserboy wrote:

I wonder if there should be a thread for your personal revelations and discussions and epiphanies so that the main forum is for FSBPro

i am new and so just recording my experiences. i am like Alice in wonderland. you have been there and done that.

also Popov has gone on record saying that the forum is the place for support and since i got the software 2 days back i need support.you are under no obligation to reply to my posts but Popov has clearly said that the forum is the place to post for support.

be kind to idiots or ignore.i have been instructed to post in the forum for help/support. please understand

Pradeep,

I think Dave (Blaiserboy) may be referring to me.  He is actually a very supportive person if have enough time to get to know him.  So I'm not "offended" by him nor he meant any offence to anyone.  Maybe he is stressed out and maybe he need to learn from you, take long walks to wind down and let out the steam smile

I'm just like you, not a tech person and hence, also did a fair share of asking a lot of "silly" questions...but it's ok, we all learn from one another.  You should read my old post, I asked almost exactly the same kind of questions as you did..where to find this file, how to overwrite this and that...I was in the same boat as you.

Do feel free to comment and ask questions...we are here to help one another bridge our learning gaps.  I believe once, you get a hand of the software, you would soon be contributing to us all your experience.

Meanwhile...keep learning and asking.

Best Regards
Hannah

hannahis wrote:

Pradeep,

I think Dave (Blaiserboy) may be referring to me.  He is actually a very supportive person if have enough time to get to know him.  So I'm not "offended" by him nor he meant any offence to anyone.  Maybe he is stressed out and maybe he need to learn from you, take long walks to wind down and let out the steam smile

I'm just like you, not a tech person and hence, also did a fair share of asking a lot of "silly" questions...but it's ok, we all learn from one another.  You should read my old post, I asked almost exactly the same kind of questions as you did..where to find this file, how to overwrite this and that...I was in the same boat as you.

Do feel free to comment and ask questions...we are here to help one another bridge our learning gaps.  I believe once, you get a hand of the software, you would soon be contributing to us all your experience.

Meanwhile...keep learning and asking.

Best Regards
Hannah

you have understood me perfectly:i walk to get the tension out.and i start for a walk at usually at 11.30am local time and right now temperatures, at that time, are above 33 degrees centigrade.

i am always positive in my life, never negative, and my only intention is to live life to the fullest

I used to take night walks, it's cooling and quiet...a good time to reflect my day and thoughts.

Now my nights are spent in front of my computers, working out my EA smile