forex software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

forex software

Skip to forum content

Forex Software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

(Page 1 of 2)

Forex Software → Help and Support → Can Commercial EAs be tested and optimized on FSB?

Pages 1 2 Next

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

Topic: Can Commercial EAs be tested and optimized on FSB?

Hi,
Just downloaded the software last night.  Sent some questions to Support last night but never got a response, so I will try here.

1)  Can commercial EAs be tested and optimized on FSB?

2)  Since there is a lot more to learn with this SW than I first thought, is it possible to uninstall the SW and re-install later after I have had a chance to work thru the User's Guide so I don't totally burn up my demo period trying to learn it?

Stephen

Re: Can Commercial EAs be tested and optimized on FSB?

Hello Stephen,

The users support is here in the forum, so you are in the right place.

It depends what you mean with "Commercial EAs":
- If you want to develop an EA for sale, you can do it.
- if you have purchased an EA from a third party developer, it is most probably written for MT and you are able to test it there. You can try testing it in FSB by settings its logical rules in the program.

2)  Since there is a lot more to learn with this SW than I first thought, is it possible to uninstall the SW and re-install later after I have had a chance to work thru the User's Guide so I don't totally burn up my demo period trying to learn it?

The trial period starts from the first installation. You can uninstall the software and install it back later, but it will not have an effect on the length of the trial period.

The most effective way of learning is to do it with working and experimenting. You need a working software for that. Don't wary for the trial period. Forex Strategy Builder Professional has a free mode with all basic functionality available. Another option is to use a monthly subscription plan to use the full power of the product for a minimal price.

Thanks for the quick response Popov.  Big disappointment about the 3rd party EAs I wanted to optimize.  I know I can optimize in Strategy Tester, but as everyone knows it is not the best SW to do it with.  With as powerful as your SW seems, I was hoping to be able to work with it, and make use of the multi-core multi-thread power my computer has to use.

Is it the same story with Custom Indicators. i.e. Indicators from third party developers?

Stephen

MetaTrader is fully optimized to provide the best possible tests for their expert adviser. I'm afraid no third party company may provide a better service for that. We understand that we cannot do anything more by using the MT technology, so we developed a completely different approach.

We have different mathematical model strategies and indicators in order to achieve better speed and reliability than MT.
Forex Strategy Builder is not a tester for testing MT expert advisors. FSB is a superior tool for developing trading strategies with a capability of exporting EAs for MT.

Thanks for the answers.  I think I would disagree about "MetaTrader is fully optimized to provide the best possible tests for their expert adviser. ".  Just look on some MT4 forums to see the large number of complaints about it.  However I appreciate your quick responses and candor.

Stephen

"the possible service for their technology" doesn't mean that their service is good.
I'm saying that this is probably the best for their wrong model of historical tests.

I understand your approach.  Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but it just seems trying to learn everything here I would need to learn is almost overwhelming.

Stephen

Take it easy,
I'm working on that project from 15 years and I'm still learning.

One example from this morning: If we have a long position with a SL and a new bar opens with a gap and:
Previous Close > SL and Current Open < SL
Does the position closes at SL or at bar Open!?

Currently FSB closes at Bar Open because it is the first available trading price. However the SL is set to the brokers server.  I asked myself if the brokers always closes at the first available price or someone will execute the order at the exact SL.

I'm trying to make the program safe for the traders, but at the same time I wont to stay as near as possible to the MT outputs. The reason is that MT is so hugely spread that if there is a difference, a newbie user will think that FSB is wrong.

Thanks again Popov.  Any suggestions on the best way to get started?

Stephen

Start with a very simple strategy. Let say - open a new strategy and change the entry point from Bar Opening to Fractal. Now you have a strategy. Examine the Indicator Chart, the Journal and the Bar explorer. Every number and symbol has a meaning. Try to understand how this simple strategy works.
Later add a Stop Loss. Pass all screens again and try to understand the orders and the outputs. latter make another small change and repeat.

Start from zero. Make one small step a time

Hi Scraig,

FSB is relative user friendly and easy to use.  Sometimes when we crowd our minds with too much information it is rather daunting and overwhelming.

Before you start, I would recommend to download the script to your MT4 broker so that you can start collecting the historical data from your own broker and use it for your EA statistical results.  http://forexsb.com/forum/topic/5379/met … ta-export/

I would recommend using JFD, an investment company guy recommended me this broker, very credible and professional. https://www.jfdbrokers.com/, if you are looking for a broker's historical data is rather similar to FSB Demo data and most of my EA developed by FSB, did well in JFD demo and live account.

So do break it down your learning curves into small little steps.  Start with making your own EA (if you already have a trading strategy/plan/theory to begin with).

If you don't have any, then here you can explore what you think makes a good EA based on what you already know and test out your theory.

I do suggest (of cos it's personal preference) using 1 min time chart where you can include other time frames indicators by using the Long Time Frame (LTF) besides of the default time frame (which follows the time chart you have chosen, in this case it's 1 min).  The 1 min time chart allows you to use 1min, 5min, 15min, 30min, 1 hr, 4hrs and 1D indictors.  Whereas it is not possible for you to use 1hr time chart and then include Lower Time Frame into your opening conditions.  You can only include Higher/Longer Time Frame, LTF.

Please read this discussion thread if you want to know why I recommended using 1 min http://forexsb.com/forum/topic/5457/lon … t-changes/

You can use MyFxBook to track your EA results and study which EA performs well based on Entry/Exit accuracy, read here for more info http://forexsb.com/forum/topic/5805/fil … ame-chart/

If you want to have some profitable EA to start with, join FSB Pro's monthly subscription or full membership to access Free EA to down load under this link http://forexsb.com/forum/topic/5747/fre … -download/

With the membership, you can use the Generator to churn out profitable EA, read here for some tips on what settings to use to increase your results of getting profitable EA via Generator.  http://forexsb.com/forum/topic/5748/fre … bers-only/

I use a lot of opening and closing conditions, the default is 8, however you can increase it to 26.  http://forexsb.com/forum/topic/5621/ins … onditions/

Popov, can you kindly adjust the default to it's maximum 26 because it is very troublesome for those who want to change it to hunt for the thread/info/instruction and furthermore, most new comers wouldn't know that they can change it from 8 to 26.  Furthermore, it wouldn't make any difference to those who don't need 26, they can just use whatever number they need.  Whereas, those who needed more, don't have to hunt for the instruction on how to increase the default.  Thanks. (meanwhile, if you don't mind, I look the liberty and put the instruction on how to increase the default number of opening/closing conditions under sticky)

Thanks Popov.

Hannahis, thank you as well for the very detailed plan.

Stephen

13 (edited by scraig 2016-02-13 07:03:46)

Popov and Hannahis,
I am following the plan Hannahis laid out for me, as he suggested taking a step at a time.  I opened a demo account with JFD brokers.  I also read the thread on the the script, "Export Data to CSV".  I d/l the script, installed it on the JFD account.  I then went to History Center and clicked thru each TF d/l what default data was available for EURUSD.  Going back to the platform, I made sure EURUSD chart was highlighted, and double clicked on the Script and got text down the chart saying how many bars were exported.  I also checked the Files folder and confirmed I now had data files for EURUSD for M1-D1 TFs.  Did I do that right?  So now I need to do the same thing for all pairs I plan to work with?  Also, going forward, is this "export" something I will need to do weekly, to collect the new data?

Finally, Hannahis, you mentioned an issue with the files over writing and dropping the earliest days.  Has that been worked out or a work around been found?

I will continue to follow your plan and will probably join Premium with a monthly subscription here soon.

Where is a good starting point to learn the FxSB SW?

Stephen

Stephen, you know how your commercial EAs work? What indis are used and how are they used?

If you're more practically inclined, jump right in and start your learning process by experimenting. Vital to take note how to build a strat in FSB, firstly the opening point, which defines in which point a position can be opened. For example, Bar Opening means at bar open, Bar Closing means at bar closing, different indis can be used for this purpose as well, like MA, band indicators etc.
Then you have the opening slot condition. This defines what has to happen for the position to be opened at your defined opening point. For example, if you want a MA to rise, for this you select MA, set the logic to "rises" and you're sorted.

Closing slots follow the same principle, you select the closing point and then a closing condition, if necessary.

You only define the long logic while building your strategies, short will be mirrored long. If you have an opening condition set as "rises", then for short it will be automatically "falls".

Hope this helps!

Thanks Footon.  Is Ichimoku Cloud an available indicator?  I have been working with it the most right now.  If not I guess I could start working with some MA crosses or maybe something like PA hitting the outer Bollinger Band.

Stephen

Ichi is available. If standard one lacks in some logic areas, then turn to the custom Ichi M indi, it should cover most cases. You can find it in this post -> http://forexsb.com/forum/post/31971/#p31971
Put the downloaded .cs to Forex Strategy Builder Pro\User Files\Indicators
and .mqh to Forex Strategy Builder Pro\User Files\MT4 Files\MQL\Forexsb.com\Custom

If any "roadblocks" appear, let us know, we'll figure something out!

Thanks footon.

Stephen

i have made a new strategy but it is not trading.can you suggest why? see attachment for details

this is the only second day of my trial but i have already made a ea and loaded it on mt4 and it has made one winning trade.

i cannot believe how easy it it is : all you have to do is see the videos

i have been trading for 30 years but i have never seen anything like this.

i have also taken another software trial and after one week still struggling.

the support here in the forum is fantastic

scraig wrote:

Finally, Hannahis, you mentioned an issue with the files over writing and dropping the earliest days.  Has that been worked out or a work around been found?

I will continue to follow your plan and will probably join Premium with a monthly subscription here soon.

Where is a good starting point to learn the FxSB SW?

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Sorry for the late reply.  I've not resolved the issue with the data over write issue as I couldn't pinpoint where is the problem.

As for where is the starting point to learn FSB, well I personally feel nothing beats hands on experience.  Play around with different trading style/strategies and observe how your trades open and close, how accuracy the opening from the lowest peak and how accuracy it close at the highest peak etc (don't just look at the profit and loss, you learn nothing).

By observing how it open and close, you would then understand where you need to work on your EA to improve it.

Is it an issue of poor opening/closing?.  Is it an issue to too low SL? Is it an issue with "insensitive" parameters that resulted to slow opening/closing?, Is it an issue with too many multiple opening/closing and hence need the suitable indicators to remove "false" signal or avoid side way trending, etc

After all these years of observing the characteristics of the market behaviours, it is easier for me to understand what kind of settings I can use for each unique type of EA development, i.e. scalper EA, day trading EA, swing trade EA, etc. hence, these knowledge served as an advantage when I use FSB Generator or creating my own EA.

Do be patient with yourself, some short cuts are nice to have to speed up our learning curves but some short cuts, short change us of our learning experience and leave us shallow in our trading knowledge.  I wish you all the best in your new endeavor and do join in our discussion to make this forum a lively one whereby we can support one another.  When I was new, I (wasn't shy to) ask many "stupid" questions but Popov, Footon and Dave were very patient to help me in my learning process.  So I'm confident, you can always count on them to assist you whenever you are in doubt or in need of any clarification.  It isn't foolish to ask questions but foolish not to learn.

Best Regards
Hannah (she/her) smile

There are thousands of posts in the forum, a wealth of information.

You can go to the index and read each thread...... learn from answers to questions that others have had.

I read old posts often because some very experienced traders have asked some excellent questions.

The video series is worth watching several times.... you will gradually assimilate the concepts.

There is no short cut available...... you are going to have to dig into each facet of the program and experiment until you  learn how to use it.

I have been using this software for several years and I still struggle with certain tools.

daveM

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

i just started free trial yesterday.....i just went step by step:suggest you read the articles/videos in wiki......I have been been studying for 30 years now;i have not found anyone who has explained more thoroughly,with great detail and with more patience than Popov.

in 24 hours Popov has answered 7 of my questions-this is amazing.

we are always in a hurry..... i have been hurrying for 30 years! now i wonder why!

Organization will be the key to your success.

Flitting from one thing to the other will be counterproductive.

You will have to list your priorities and  carefully approach those in some semblance of order.

My technique is to start with the exit for a trade...... determine exactly the condition or conditions for exit and then fill in the blanks for entry.

Other people focus on entry.

Those are decisions that have to be considered.

Auto trading is not chart trading, there is a huge difference.

FSBPro is a math program, it does not look at charts, it only does calculations, and it is very precise, far more precise than any charting program.

There is a tendency to want to use xyz indicator as it appears on a chart in MT4... does not work...... because MT4 does not draw the chart accurately, best to rely on the math process. There is huge frustration as people try to translate their vision of a pattern from a charting program to FSBPro.

Regard the indicators in FSBPro as math formulas..... forget about their appearance on a chart in MT4, use only the charts in FSBpro as they are precise . Actually, disregard MT4 as it is a bogus representation designed to steal your money, it is a vehicle for FSBPro to enter trades ONLY.

The indicators in the program and in the repository should be enough to fill most needs, there is not great need to have the latest pie in the sky MT4 indicators, the current inventory is quite satisfactory for most needs.

What is most important is that you learn how to use OOS and the testing tools provided as they will estimate the value of the strategies that you create. Once you master that, you can create the simplest strategies and be quite profitable.

Our tendency is to jump all over the place.. doesn't work.

What does work is the detailed approach that H has demonstrated, she has analyzed a couple indicators and built a profitable business......  spent hundreds or thousands of hours exploiting her approach.

And now has the reward.

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

the best way to learn how to use fsb is to follow the 'wiki' links and see all the videos.

i am seeing my third videos in the strategy structure:closing point.

all the videos are beautifully made,explained in depth,by Popov: i am just loving seeing him explain how the software works with all the different options.

24 (edited by pradeepgolfer 2016-02-26 16:07:05)

scraig wrote:

Hi,
Just downloaded the software last night.  Sent some questions to Support last night but never got a response, so I will try here.

Stephen

i wonder if this will work: go to source file and down load it into FSB stratergy folder

no there is a missing step

pradeepgolfer wrote:
scraig wrote:

Hi,

Stephen

i wonder if this will work: go to source file and down load it into FSB stratergy folder

no there is a missing step

?

It was already answered mq4 is not supported, you can export a strat to mq4 but you cannot put an EA into FSB for backtest. If you know the logic and rules, it's generally possible to build it in FSB.

Pages 1 2 Next

You must login or register to post a reply

Forex Software → Help and Support → Can Commercial EAs be tested and optimized on FSB?