forex software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

forex software

Skip to forum content

Forex Software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

(Page 1 of 2)

Forex Software → Help and Support → EX4 file is missing

Pages 1 2 Next

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

1 (edited by hannahis 2015-10-25 15:28:12)

Topic: EX4 file is missing

Hi Popov,

I don't know what I did to my MT4...now when I export my EA, the EX4 file is missing and I can only see my EA in the expert folder but when I tried to install it to the MT4 chart, it can't be done because the EX4 file is missing.

I tried to delete my MT4 and reinstall.  For some reason beyond my explanation, the old EA can be found but when I export new EA, it can't be executed because the EX4 file is missing. 

Please tell me what can I do to fix this problem...it happened to all my MT4 programmes that belongs to one broker, but other brokers are fine.  Unfortunately, the one affected is the broker I need to test with cos I've a live account with this broker.

Re: EX4 file is missing

ex4 files is the compiled version of a mq4 file.

You can compile in two ways:
- Right click on the Expert Advisors item and select refresh.
- Open the EA in the MT Strategy Editor and click compile.

3 (edited by hannahis 2015-10-26 05:20:22)

Hi Popov,

Is there any permanent way to fix this problem.  In the past, every new EA I export is automatically compiled in the MT4...but now I can't install it on my MT4 (I added the JFD MT4 add on features and so I think that's the one that caused the problem...I don't know how to uninstall this add on features.  Now all the newly installed JFD MT4 terminal and other brokers MT4 can't compile automatically.

What you mean by "automatically compiled"? Compilation takes place after MT is started or EA list refreshed. I doubt your add-ons hinder compilation.

5 (edited by hannahis 2015-10-26 12:17:03)

What I meant is that I need to click the "export" ea button in the FSB Pro and of cos after I refresh my MT4, the EAs are compiled.  Now I have to go to the data folder, click each and individual EA and open it in editor and then press compile one by one and then copy and paste it on my other MT4 expert folders...now that's really troublesome compared to the original or normal circumstances.

Now my EA exported to the MT4 but with missing EX4 files, which I now have to compile them on my own one by one.

So if it is not my add on that caused this "missing" compile process...I would be happy to know what could be the cause and have it fixed.

Pro doesn't export ex4 files, they are not missing in this sense. Have you tried removing and reinstalling MT? If you are confident that your add-on is the troublemaker, you might contact the add-on makers for support and help, it's quite probable we don't have people who have even a slightest hint what that add-on is about. And your last resort would be to turn to designated MT forum or Metaquotes to get support for these kind of MT issues.

Yes, I removed and reinstall all my MT, even from other brokers and all of them can't compile in the same manner in the past.  I've to compile the EA myself one by one.

8 (edited by GD 2015-10-27 04:07:20)

I prefer to use inside link icon to call MT4   "C:\Program Files (x86)\MetaTrader 4\terminal.exe" /portable
or MT5
Refresh works for me.

I just export the files and compile them individually.  That way I can look at whatever nasty little warnings may appear.

However, I do not have a lot of strategies running, so it does not take me long to do that.

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

Thanks for everyone who chipped in to help...

If I really can't figure out a solution, I think I have to do a computer reboot or whatever to clean up my system....and start all over again.  It's very frustrating, imagine from now onward every EA I make, I have to compile it and then copy and paste unto all my MT4.  I use about 4-7 MT4 to test my EA, so imagine the amount of work sad

On an average I churned out 20 - 50 EA on some other days, so this is very tedious for me.

I guess that more strategies involves some sort of management system.

I wonder if you should consider MT5, it may look after that difficulty for you. ie do the testing on MT5 and then real trading on MT4 if you prefer.

Ok Dave, I'll look into your suggestion.  Thanks

I use MT5 a lot...... but I have nowhere near the num,ber of strategies that you are working with so I can not really know the situation.

I think you have to only update your FSBPro when it is convenient for you to make changes to all of your strategies..

Someone may write a 'batch file' for you to  compile all of your strategies at once.... I am not sure if that would be a solution.

Maybe send to Popov an email asking if it is possible to use a batch file to compile several EA's at once, I have no idea.

14 (edited by hannahis 2015-10-27 04:48:55)

Dave, I'm totally new to MT5...

A few questions,

1. Can FSB Pro EA be used in MT5 too? I mean that with the same EA I used in MT4, I can directly use it in MT5 without making any "conversion" or whatever?
2. I can still use my same broker in MT5 too?

Already I'm so busy with developing my EA and testing them...I hardly venture more than my usual comfort zone sad

you would need to have a broker that offers MT5, you would have to check with your broker to see if they have MT5, not all offer it as it is not as popular.

FsbPro will export the same way to either MT4 or to MT5

Maybe finding a way to get a batch file is preferable to starting with MT5

I have to compile it and then copy and paste unto all my MT4

Do you see the correct paths to all of your MT terminals? If not use the first button to find them or set the paths manually?

http://s28.postimg.org/l1vbps9mx/screenshot_1248.jpg

17 (edited by hannahis 2015-10-27 13:22:12)

Popov,

The path is correct because the EA would appear under the Expert in the navigation panel but can't be installed in the MT4 chart and the error message appeared below

C:\Users\Hannah\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\03B3C1EE61876B5F5B8925D12C36AA1C\MQL4\Experts\9999.ex4' [2]

Also now the only way to have it compile is to turn off the MT4 and export the EA from FSB and then turn on the MT4 and the EA would be compile and ready to be installed without any addition work done.  But if I export EA while the MT4 is running, the EA will appear under the expert folder (after refreshed) but can't be loaded/installed unless I compile it manually and then refresh the MT4.

Ps: Popov, I've email to you an EA that has out of array message with more than 134,000 bar count.  Please check it out and help me identify the error.  Thanks

Ps: Popov, I've email to you an EA

What I saw before deleting the message was not an EA but a useless screenshot of the MT log. I cannot help you in that way.

I'm terribly sorry  cos I forgot to attach the EA.  But for some weird reasons, it can now work.

I think I badly need to reboot my computer to clean up my system,  kept giving me weird issues

What's the best way to clean up my computer system yet the least troublesome method without me having to lose too many data? 

I tried to uninstall the terminals and reinstall again but the problem persist.  i.e. can't compile EA

I'm using CCleaner and Revo Uninstaller to maintain the comp.

Thanks so much for all who taken your time to help me out.

I'm so grateful but at the same time feel bad taking up your time.

23 (edited by hannahis 2015-10-27 18:48:38)

Which file "controls" the function in compiling the EA in MT4 terminal so that I  can restore this function.

Now I need to switch off the MT4 and turning it on again after I've export my EA from FSB in order for the compiling process to be done correctly.  If my MT4 is running and I export EA from FSB, it cannot be install in the MT4 chart after pressing refresh on the expert (in the navigator panel).

So if I can know which file controls this compiling process, then maybe I can find solution for restoration?  The weird thing is that it affects all my brokers' MT4.

24 (edited by hannahis 2015-10-27 18:59:14)

Now even switching on and off, my EA doesn't even compile in the MT4 (with the missing EX4 file)...need to do it manually.

Popov, can this function be added to FSB Pro that when we export our EA, it also compiles automatically so that I don't have to rely on the MT4 to do it.

MT4 does not show the EA that you have added until it restarts, whether you compile it manually or not.

I know you do not like to stop MT4, however, I think you have to plan to stop it, redo your experts and then restart.

I also use CC Cleaner and revo, they are both free.

I use MalWareBytes for antivirus.

Myself, I reboot often and use CC Cleaner often, virus check every reboot. (because I go to many sites daily).

You can compile the new strategy by going to the 'Open Data Folder' and then going to the experts folder and double clicking on the EA....... however, that will not put the EA into your EA list until you restart the MT4.

I think you are going to have to accept that in order to access a new EA, you will have to restart MT4. At least that has been my luck so far.

Pages 1 2 Next

You must login or register to post a reply

Forex Software → Help and Support → EX4 file is missing