Topic: Signal shift + signal repeat

What is signal shift and signal repeat ?i noticed when changing those values it impacts the results on the graph during test

Re: Signal shift + signal repeat

Hmm, one shifts the signal and the other repeats the signal for user-defined number of bars? Sometimes it helps if you learn visually, so make a very simple plain vanilla strategy, so that you know how and when a trading signal is raised. Then remember one signal (or write down) with its direction and time, then adjust repeat and shift one by one, checking every time how the remembered trade performs, then you'll see how it gets repeated or shifted.

Hope this helps.

We have explanation, screenshots and examples in the User Guide: Indicator Advanced Properties

From what i understand if for example a user input signal shift 3, the trade will only be taken when the signal has been triggered 3 times correct?

muplayer2000 wrote:

From what i understand if for example a user input signal shift 3, the trade will only be taken when the signal has been triggered 3 times correct?

If you use Signal shift = 3, the signal will be triggered 3 bars later.

It is useful in scenarios like: Open a position 3 bars after RSI crosses level 30 upwards.

If you use Signal repeat = 3, the signal will be repeated 3 time. That means you'll have 4 signals- the original signals and 3 more signals because you "repeat" the original signal 3 times. Finally, you'll lend with 4 signals.

It may be used like: Open long if RSI was closed the level 30 upwards during the last 4 bars.

Cheers thank you.

footon wrote:

Hmm, one shifts the signal and the other repeats the signal for user-defined number of bars? Sometimes it helps if you learn visually, so make a very simple plain vanilla strategy, so that you know how and when a trading signal is raised. Then remember one signal (or write down) with its direction and time, then adjust repeat and shift one by one, checking every time how the remembered trade performs, then you'll see how it gets repeated or shifted.

Hope this helps.

Ok perfect

Thank you very much.

Popov wrote:
muplayer2000 wrote:

If you use Signal shift = 3, the signal will be triggered 3 bars later.

It is useful in scenarios like: Open a position 3 bars after RSI crosses level 30 upwards.

If you use Signal repeat = 3, the signal will be repeated 3 time. That means you'll have 4 signals- the original signals and 3 more signals because you "repeat" the original signal 3 times. Finally, you'll lend with 4 signals.

It may be used like: Open long if RSI was closed the level 30 upwards during the last 4 bars.

I am spending a lot of time with 'signal repeat' and 'signal shift'. I did not intentionally design a grid but wanted more entries.

I think these tools are safer than a grid.

In any event, I have one strategy that got 36 consecutive trades, this is definitely worthwhile tool combination.

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

Blaiserboy wrote:

I am spending a lot of time with 'signal repeat' and 'signal shift'. I did not intentionally design a grid but wanted more entries.

I think these tools are safer than a grid.

In any event, I have one strategy that got 36 consecutive trades, this is definitely worthwhile tool combination.

Have your tried the "additional entry" feature whereby you can choose to add entries at Winner etc?

I use that in almost all my strategies as a form of profit protection because with BE each additional new entry when reached the BE  bring my SL to "0" i.e. break even.  so that my 1st or oldest entry has some form of profit protection.  Ideally, I wish there is an automatic profit protection feature that protects my profit eg 50 pips for every 150 pips incremental change.

I use a trade manager for those now..... I am sure that Popov is working on some trailing stop stuff

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....