forex software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

forex software

Skip to forum content

Forex Software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forex Software → Forex Strategy Builder Professional → Updating my strategy

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

Topic: Updating my strategy

Hi there Pop,

What do I do when i want to update a strategy that is already running? do I just load the my new version onto it wit the same connection ID on the same chart and the programs knows what to do?

The strategy I employ adds lot, will the lot be added be 'reset' ?

What if I increase/decrease the lot size of the strategy?

Please advice. Thx!

Satch

Re: Updating my strategy

The safest way is to disconnect the trading connection, go to Builder mode, make the changes, return to Trader mode and reconnect with the same Connection Id.

do I just load the my new version onto it wit the same connection ID on the same chart and the programs knows what to do?

Yes, it does.

The strategy I employ adds lot, will the lot be added be 'reset' ?

The strategy will fellow its logic.

What if I increase/decrease the lot size of the strategy?

The lot size comes from the broker. You cannot control it on trading mode.

When asking about increasing / decreasing the lot size of the strategy, satch55 is probably inquiring what will happen if he will change “Entry units for a new position” in “Entry Lots and Maximum Lots” parameter list and then he will activate this changed strategy on the account containing already opened positions (initiated with the old strategy, with different size “Entry units for a new position”).

If it is not what satch55 meant, I want to ask this question myself; because I have done such changes of Units recently on one of the strategies in my broker account and want to have confirmation that such changes are allowed and will not lead to unwanted behavior – i.e. for example need to close those position by hand.

Thanks Pop for the reply.

And thanks Herd, that's what I meant.

what will happen if he will change “Entry units for a new position” in “Entry Lots and Maximum Lots” parameter list and then he will activate this changed strategy on the account containing already opened positions (initiated with the old strategy, with different size “Entry units for a new position”).

Noting spectacular will happen. The strategy will continue waiting for a next signal.
When a new signal is risen, FSB Pro will open (add) amount as per the new settings.

FSB (and FST) takes the account status AS IS and apply the strategy rules to it (if it is possible). There are no problem to change strategy and / or positions out of the strategy.

Is it correct to say that FST uses the CONNECTION ID to identify the trades that goes with a certain strategy. That means, as long as I maintain the connection ID with the same chart, any strategy that I put in (with the unique CONNECTION ID) it will continue as the strategy see fit.

It is true.

Connection ID serves as an identifier to connect  a certain FSB or FST window with certain MT4 chart.

You can use one Connection ID with a certain strategy or you can close that strategy and to open another and to use the same Connection ID. FSB will connect to the respective chart and will continue trading from that point.

And a follow up question, not so important, with similar inquiry direction: Let us assume that I have a strategy with an amount of opened (active) positions. But I was not sitting on my hands and with help of FSB Pro developed yet better strategy, completely different from the old one. I want to disconnect the old strategy, but in “civilized” way – i.e. let it close positions as it should, following the rules of the old strategy, but not to open any new positions, so this old strategy can be put to rest. Is it possible to do this using some property of FSB Pro or FST?

If not, I think the solution could be to change “Max open lots for a positon” to 0 (which is not possible today; the system will only allow 0,01 as the lowest value) and then regenerate the old strategy with this parameter changed to 0. As FSB checks this value each time before opening a new position, setting it to 0 should be enough to stop FSB from opening new positons, but to continue to treat old positions in proper way until all will be closed.

Of course, you could also change the “Max open lots for a positon” in a strategy to the lowest value of 0,01, wait until only such position will be still opened and then close those positions by hand. But the first proposed solution is (maybe) more elegant.

You can temporarily add the NoNo indicator to prevent entries: http://forexsb.com/repository/repositor … -indicator

Here comes short description taken from NoNo Indicator:

This indicator doesn't rises signals.
It is useful when you want to prevent entry or exit signals.
The indicator is marked with: IsGeneratable = false;

If I understand this description correctly both entry and exit signals will be stopped. So my idea to allow strategy to close positions which are opened, but  stop strategy from opening new positions can not be implement with NoNo Indicator?

If you use NoNo as an Opening Logic Condition or Opening Point, it will prevent entries.
If you use it as a Closing Point, it will prevent exits.

Thank you for explaining this issue, Mr. Popov. Now I have one more tool in my Indicator toolbox.

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Forex Software → Forex Strategy Builder Professional → Updating my strategy