Topic: Digits in the instrument editor

I need your help in understanding one thing. I created a strategy for gold with digits = 2. The strategy was very profitable. All other settings were zero just for the sake of experimentation (see image).
When I change digits to 3, the strategy loses all equity quite fast, and if I change digits to 10, it barely moves.
Can someone explain me why this happens? I mean, the prices should be the same regardless of the digits or no?
Thanks
Nuno

Post's attachments

XAUUSD.PNG 121.41 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Digits in the instrument editor

If you use indicators that have parameters in points (like Trailing Stop, SL, TP, indicators with shifts) , you have to correct them also.

Thanks, it was the SL. However I had to keep digits = 2 (instead of digits = 3 which would be what my broker uses) because the max. SL is 5000. I presume this will be ok and will not have a major influence.

Dear Popov

Just to be on the safe side, can you let me know if the number of digits used in FSB has to be the same as given by market info in FST? I presume this not distort the way positions are opened, but I'm not sure.

I'm asking because I had to use digits = 2 in FSB even though my broker uses digits = 3. This is for XAUUSD. However, because the SL/TP/BE are limited to 5000 points in FSB, I had to circumvent this limitation by choosing digits = 2.

Let me know if my question is not clear.

Cheers
N.

By changing the digits you change point value. You have to bear that in mind.
Example of SL of 10 points:
E/U, 4 digits = SL 10;
5 digits = SL 100

So you can use whatever you like if know what it changes and you adapt the startegy to it.

A final note - if you already hit the  limit in FSB, why bother circumventing it as you're gonna hit the same limit in FST? The point being you can't really circumvent not much in FST wink

footon wrote:

A final note - if you already hit the  limit in FSB, why bother circumventing it as you're gonna hit the same limit in FST? The point being you can't really circumvent not much in FST wink

Not sure if I followed that. Let's see because otherwise I will run into problems:
- in FSB I decided to keep 2 digits for the reason I gave. The strategy looks nice as it is;
- but my broker uses 3 digits. Does this mean that I have necessarily to adapt SL/TP? Or FST will still compute prices rightly using exactly the same strategy I developed with FSB?

I think this would depend on how things I programmed, but I have no clue about it.

On another note, would it be possible to increase the limit for 10000 points for example, or even more?

nquental wrote:
footon wrote:

Not sure if I followed that. Let's see because otherwise I will run into problems:
- in FSB I decided to keep 2 digits for the reason I gave. The strategy looks nice as it is;
- but my broker uses 3 digits. Does this mean that I have necessarily to adapt SL/TP? Or FST will still compute prices rightly using exactly the same strategy I developed with FSB?

No, it's the user who has to make things match. If your strat is developed on 2digs and you will trade it on 3digs, closing point must match the right point values for the strat to function correctly (as in backtest). This means you can't use the same TP/SL values, you have to multiply them. Hence my note that why circumvent in FSB if can't circumvent in FST, thus rendering your work non-usable.

Hope you got it now.

Yes, it's very simple and can be summarized as this: one should use broker's specifications and that's it. Useless to change parameters.

So the only option is to get rid of the 5000 limit. How can I do that?

Try this one.

Post's attachments

StopLimit2.cs 3.4 kb, 1 downloads since 2013-08-08 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

So the only option is to get rid of the 5000 limit. How can I do that?

Other users are asking me how to reduce 5000 limit of SL in order to make generating faster.

You can download FSB source code and you can change the limit for you.

https://github.com/PopovMP/Forex-Strate … perties.cs line 285.

// NumericUpDown Permanent S/L
            FancyNudPermaSL.Name = "nudPermaSL";
            FancyNudPermaSL.Parent = PnlProtection;
            FancyNudPermaSL.BeginInit();
            FancyNudPermaSL.Minimum = 5;
            FancyNudPermaSL.Maximum = 5000; // <- --------------------------
            FancyNudPermaSL.Increment = 1;
            FancyNudPermaSL.Value = Data.InstrProperties.IsFiveDigits ? 1000 : 100;
            FancyNudPermaSL.TextAlign = HorizontalAlignment.Center;
            FancyNudPermaSL.EndInit();

Thanks both.
You know, humans are never happy tongue

Sorry to bother you with this but actually I don't know how to change the source code smile
I'm not a programmer but I can usually deal with these things. Can you just explain me briefly or point me somewhere to learn?

Thanks again!

PS: my best friend in Brussels is also from Varna!