Topic: Zero Tolerance to Spammers

Dear forum members,
We want to reduce the spam in our forums. We see that most of the posts in General Forex category are spam.

Spam is every post that:
- is not related to FSB / FST, Forex, or main subject of the topic where is posted,
- is not informative and do not add information to the topic,
- is a copy of post of other forums (use Google to search for duplication)
- contains links to pages not related to FSB/FST or Forex,

Please report or mark as Spam all posts you think are not appropriate for our forum.
Moderators can directly delete such posts.
Administrators can ban and delete the spam authors.
Further to that, the advertised keywords  can be added to the forum's black list.

We can also reorganize the forum's categories.
For example "Forex Brokers" forum can be directed at how FSB / FST works with different brokers.

What do you think about signals posted in "Market Analysis"? Do you read them? If not, we prefer to  remove that forum.

Please send us your recommendations.

Re: Zero Tolerance to Spammers

My thinking is that the forum is for sharing information as to FSB and FST, posts about the software and its application are the reason for the existence of the forum.

There is a cost to providing the forum, there is a software cost as well as a server cost.

I am thinking that people posting about their wonderful companies should be contributing financially if they want to use the forum for advertising. If they can not afford to contribute some money, it is apparent that their company is  not doing well enough.

Forex Signals can be dangerous for an investor, there is huge risk involved for people following signals, there is no benefit for FSB and FST users to following signals from unknown companies and the posts are a distraction.

Advertisers that are not promoting the FSB software to their clientele have many other places to advertise their services.

In summary, posts that are unrelated to FSB or FST are wasting time and space for everyone,  I would prefer to be reading many more questions and answers from users.

Hopefully many others will post their opinions.

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

Banning a user..............

I think it may be best to ban the ISP instead of the user.....

This morning, about 40 percent of the new posts were spam.

ISP ban definitely, should start from banglalionwimax. But a word of caution - it seems that one user did use a proxy server today - to prove his really from USA as he wrote. Some spammers think they are more trustworthy if they say they are from USA, or Chicago, or NY etc, actually they come mainly from 3 countries - Bangladesh, India, Pakistan. Don't get me wrong - I hold nothing against these countries (except the spammers originating from there). I reckon at least 50% of spammers are "regular" visitors - block their ISP, and we can catch a breath for a while, that is until they find a proxy...

There should be a commercial section - it will help to keep the main sections clean, take that possibility away from spammers, and they'll post their s..t under FSB/FST section.

Moderators, do you see "Spam" link in the lower right corner of a post field? Can you use it?

I think every forum user can report a post. Moderators can directly delete the post and eventually ban spammers.

I'm checking the forum several times daily so I can delete reported spams quickly.

What no FSB / FST forums to maintain?

Do we have to remove Market Analysis, Forex Trading and Forex Brokers forums?

Can we rename "Forex Brokers" to "Forex Brokers with Relation to FSB / FST" or something like this?

Post's attachments

3-31-2012 8-09-34 PM.png
3-31-2012 8-09-34 PM.png 7.01 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

If we delete the post........ can the administrator still ban the offender afterwards......?

Blaiserboy wrote:

If we delete the post........ can the administrator still ban the offender afterwards......?

Administrator can ban the authors if he knows who they are.

I usual first ban the author and after that delete him together with all his posts.

I agree with footon, if you remove the forums that attract the most spam, they will then post in other forums. How about a forum that is a "spam magnet" -- to attract most of the spam posts? For the server/storage costs, could it be set to a maximum size and automatically delete posts that go over the max size?

One idea I saw - one forum site added a script to block any user whose time from registration to first post was humanly impossible, eg 500 ms, as this indicated it was a spam bot. I wonder if the spammers are real people or bots?

krog wrote:

One idea I saw - one forum site added a script to block any user whose time from registration to first post was humanly impossible, eg 500 ms, as this indicated it was a spam bot. I wonder if the spammers are real people or bots?

It seems they are people mainly, but in blacklists some IPs which are active here too are marked as spam bots.

as most spammers do not return....... moderating the first, say, ten posts, will eliminate most of the problem

Check this new user - http://forexsb.com/forum/user/6051/about/

Surprise-surprise it says United States, actually it is Bangladesh, look at those titles and websites addresses, just a matter of time when it starts spamming. That user should be banned now before any spam "gets out".

EDIT: user by that IP has been marked in various blacklists as spammer, immediate action needed in my opinion.

people wanting to enhance their search engine ranking want to get their url in as many places as possible, that is why so many url's in spam posts..  There is actually software available for going to forums, complete profile and then later go back in and add URL....... ( I have that software)

There is not a lot of reasons to post url's in this forum. perhaps posts and personal details can be scanned for urls and deleted immediately.

I can see what footon means regarding that profile......

Perhaps delete any facility for url from profile and posts.

I marked as spam a new post today, new user... he posted spam even though there is a warning. I suggest spam isp's be blocked on first occurrence.

I do have to admit, that this forum is probably one of the cleanest forums I've come across - especially for a FOREX forum.  Good job to the staff!

When I try to post in the office (using chrome), I get this message:

Sorry, but we think you are bot. You can not post message on this forum.

But I can post fine on the same computer with firefox.  At home, I can't post with firefox, but can post with chrome.  What am I doing wrong?

themaxx wrote:

When I try to post in the office (using chrome), I get this message:

Sorry, but we think you are bot. You can not post message on this forum.

But I can post fine on the same computer with firefox.  At home, I can't post with firefox, but can post with chrome.  What am I doing wrong?

Do you get the same weird message on the home computer.?

Seems most confusing.!

I think the message  refers to blocked ISP's in most cases.....

I am wondering if there would be browser settings that can be adjusted, I am no expert.

Popov will see the message and have a reply, I am sure.

Blaiserboy wrote:

Do you get the same weird message on the home computer.?

Yes, same message about being a bot.  I also received the message when I tried to sign up using my work computer, and ended up having to sign up using my iPhone.

Post's attachments

iamnotabot.png 111.46 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

I recall getting the message myself quite a while ago......  can't recall what I did about it.

I am sure it will get resolved soon