forex software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

forex software

Skip to forum content

Forex Software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

(Page 1 of 2)

Forex Software → Technical Indicators → Gann HiLo indicator

Pages 1 2 Next

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

Topic: Gann HiLo indicator

Dear keog ,footon and all

The requested indicator is used as a stop indicator , the idea of it the previous N bars lows"to stop a buy position" and N bars highs to stop a sell position

The indicator concept"for buy" : calculate the mean of last N bars lows and extrapolation in advance for the next day, or bar

So we have in advance a fixed line before the day start

Note :" extrapolation not mean shift

Re: Gann HiLo indicator

It's still a shift, isn't it? If my understanding is faulty, please provide explanation in detail, screenshots won't do bad either smile

Let me take an example, if you will - a moving average of highs, say period 10, with shift 1, applies to long positions. Tell me why it is wrong.

Thanks.

footon wrote:

Let me take an example, if you will - a moving average of highs, say period 10, with shift 1, applies to long positions. Tell me why it is wrong.

Thanks.

i cannot upload files because forum problems , and cannot upload pictures because here they blocked the website because of adult content it have " if you like i can send what you want to your mail "

Example " we are now Monday
Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday, lows from last week are 3 , 9 , 12
this means trend is up so the line will drawn from lows only  and " to calculate the HiLo(3) for Monday it will be (3+9+12) /3 =8 so the monday we just started has a stoploss line at 8
if we will calculate HiLo(2) we will need last two days only (9+12)/2=10.5  so monday will have a line at 10.5 level ... and so on 

It is like calculating pivot point concept

If you can, do send your material to my email, it seems this forum won't regain functionality before 2012.

Thanks!

Ahmed, CHECK YOUR EMAIL after reading this!  big_smile

I coded the Kalenzo version of Gann hi-lo, our pop and youthful forum is still wondering why has it shot itself in the foot, and therefore won't let anything to be uploaded, so I'll shoot the CS version to your email.

Be advised though that it is a very rough version, I'm sure you'll have some suggestions or maybe even a bug report etc. Please post your comments about the indi here!

Thanks!

thaaaanx i will start the test  and send feed back

NB : do you know any other website to upload my pictures!!!!

why we need the previous bar option " the current bar value of the indicator already fixed value and not be changed under any condition " 

Could we use the current bar value is the default option in the indicator

NB: if i change that option from strategy tool bar it will change for all indicators

Regards

You're welcome!

For attaching screenshots, use the Add image to post feature (lies above message writing box), it is much better than attached image. You can go directly to postimage.org too.

http://postimage.org/ is blocked here because its adult content sad

ahmedalhoseny wrote:

http://postimage.org/ is blocked here because its adult content sad

It's settable when downloading, you put a tick or a dot under "family safe" or something like that and it's ok.

let me try:

http://s8.postimage.org/dvbpfj45d/1_0.jpg

Works fine, man!

ahmedalhoseny wrote:

why we need the previous bar option " the current bar value of the indicator already fixed value and not be changed under any condition " 

NB: if i change that option from strategy tool bar it will change for all indicators

Regards

Yeah, I looked into it before, previous value has to be used because of this part:

if(Close[i]>...MODE_SMA,PRICE_HIGH,i+1)

i=current bar, therefore current bar has to be closed in order to know its close. If you untick PBV, results rocket into stratosphere, because it knows the close at the beginning of a bar.

I'll substitute the Close with Open, will report how that goes!

Thanks!

footon wrote:
ahmedalhoseny wrote:

Regards

Yeah, I looked into it before, previous value has to be used because of this part:

if(Close[i]>...MODE_SMA,PRICE_HIGH,i+1)

i=current bar, therefore current bar has to be closed in order to know its close. If you untick PBV, results rocket into stratosphere, because it knows the close at the beginning of a bar.

I'll substitute the Close with Open, will report how that goes!

Thanks!

but when we use the shift option " lets say shift 1 " so the new current bar price  already has the equal indicator value before it start so once the current bar price start the shifted indicator value start with the open and will continue fixed until the end of bar so logic says we can use that fixed indicator value safe

Yep, I just checked it as a close, PBV should not be used. Price comes to it, that's the point of it! Thanks for the report, I'll recode it, I think I will throw that PBV out, hard coded PBV is my preferred method! big_smile

Alright, I looked it through again. I adjusted it to compare the lines with previous close, now it closes position once price touches the line. But if you compare the versions, you'll see the line has shifted by one bar. Closing, on the other hand, happens 0.5-1 bar earlier. I'll send v2 to your email!

The requested indicator is used as a stop indicator , the idea of it the previous N bars lows"to stop a buy position" and N bars highs to stop a sell position

I modified a Bands indicator, and that does EXACTLY what you wanted, just set it at "Close long at Lowe Band" and that's what it will do. I'll send Hi-lo Bands to your email too!

Final notes: PBV is still there, leave it as it is, I recoded it to be properly used. V2 is still a rough version (beta), I'm waiting suggestions if any, if you are happy with the version I can make it look nice big_smile (I'll substitute the phrase "moving average" with "Gann line").
Bands indi is final in my opinion, but if you have good ideas, let me know!

Thanks!

Hello and thanx for effort

I get confused about these indicators but from test i find the hi-lo Ver2 is working   
tell me about your results

Regards

What results exactly?

results for 1- stability of indicator
                 2- any profit results using the indicator

Stability seems fine, but I didn't do any live tests! System results - haven't looked into it yet, I had few ideas which I'm working on, I'm not so interested in closing as in opening, it might become a usable filter, but that needs to be seen.

I'm actually waiting for Krog's swing line indi to appear, but this forum will be incapacitated for a longer period than I expected, so I guess if you want something done, you should do it yourself -> meaning I'll probably try to build my own Gann swing indi.

NB : do you know any other website to upload my pictures!!!!

http://fotohost.kz

21 (edited by ahmedalhoseny 2012-04-26 21:21:51)

Hello all
attached here gann hi-lo activator indicators sent to me by footon it was months ago if any one interested

regards

Hello footon
Regarding To Gann Activator i found a problem when attache it two times  in a strategy it appear only once on the chart  is it a bug in the indicator !!!!

Regards

Post's attachments

Bug.png
Bug.png 27.34 kb, 1 downloads since 2013-03-26 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Are the periods the same?

Hello
No they are different periods

As you see the small chart in background shows the two lines but when expand the chart ''in the front''  only one line and the other disappear

NB :  i made the same test using Moving average indicator and opened two different MAs and they appear on both charts small and expanded one !!!!

Regards

Good catch, Ahmed!

At the moment I've got no idea... But it seems it doesn't affect the backtest, so results are ok. When I find a bit more time, I'll look into the matter more thoroughly. It might be the base source I used, which causes the mix up. If I find something, I'll report back!

Pages 1 2 Next

You must login or register to post a reply

Forex Software → Technical Indicators → Gann HiLo indicator