Topic: how to start trade at specified time or time Frame in FSB?

hi  I am trying to test a system and compare it to a real trade, i am running to some issues with ability to control  when a trade starts. what i mean is that since the FSB has past data it is presently in a position, while in real time testing i am not in a position.  when a  new signal came in the FSB did nothing , since no new positions are allowed with the system,  The FST has responded to the signal however   i have no way of knowing if the behavior is correct.  shortening the data stream in the setup  eliminated the new signal (MA) .  is there a way to specify when or for what  period to start the trade in the FSB?

Thanks

Re: how to start trade at specified time or time Frame in FSB?

Use Data Horizon, that should do the trick. And changing the handling of additional signals can be handy as well (if you want to make sure signals are the same).

Just in case: http://forexsb.com/wiki/fsb/manual/data_horizon

footon wrote:

Use Data Horizon, that should do the trick. And changing the handling of additional signals can be handy as well (if you want to make sure signals are the same).

Just in case: http://forexsb.com/wiki/fsb/manual/data_horizon

Hi Footon
thanks for Your replay
as i stated earlier changing data horizon will not work in this case as the data becomes to short for the  MA values to form correctly (or at all) sad
messing with the signals directions will change the strategy so it will not reflect what i see in the live trade (ie. instead of a stop loss being activated, an opposite direction signal would take the trade out)
so, a switch in the FSB that would tell the program when to start trading, and maybe when to end it, should allow you to enter trade at any time and it would still  use previous data for the indicators. I guess this could be put on the Xmas wish list smile
is what i am writing clear regarding the dilemma i have?

I do get it, shame it didn't work out for you. That's a tough strat you have that it's a fuss to align the data to check the signals.

Hi Dr B, I try to understand, to be clear, you want:
- use a long data set (example, January 1 to today)
- set a date to start the system (example, ok to trade on Sept 10, 16:45, and later)
Is that correct? If correct, try "Date Filter" indicator, you can set year and month, and logic is
- "Do not open positions before",
- "Do not open positions after"
Let me know if you want date and time too, then it should be easy enough to add on.
thanks

Hi Dr B,
I expanded the indicator to allow for date and time. Find "Date and Time Filter" attached.
Let me know if that works, or if it has any bugs.
thanks

Post's attachments

Date and Time Filter.cs 8.06 kb, 7 downloads since 2011-11-04 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Krog You are just Awesome !!!
I really appreciate you spending time and doing this.
I tried to modify some indicators to suit my ideas, they worked marginally but they failed in their ability to close the positions with FST. Any tips on how to learn to write the indicators better?  since I spend all this time testing and designing strategies, I would love to contribute more to this forum.
btw I was able to go around my little problem by adding take profit at lower pip(s) however your indicator will let simulate a more precise conditions  I thank You again smile

Hi dr.B
I'm glad that worked for you. This is also a good issue to know about -- if only one trade is allowed open at a time, it is easy for FSB backtesting and FST real trading results to not match. It will happen if your FSB data and FST trading start at different times. Especially if the entries are frequent (eg, every 15 minutes), and the trade is held for long (eg, 4 hours). I never thought about it before, but now you have shown it, it makes sense, and the Date and Time Filter will help figure out if it's an indicator bug or time-sync issue.

For indicators, have you seen zuijaideai's tutorial: http://forexsb.com/forum/topic/1380/tut … -with-fsb/? It is good to start.
Best way to learn is try to do it, then if you get stuck, post a question in Developers Forum. Please post your code, and what you want it to do, or describe what is not working. I'll be happy to take a look and share what I know. I want more users to know how to code indicators -- they can make their own, fill requests, and more people contributing, the better.

HI Krog
the indicator you made I found extremely useful I thank you again, it's one of those that once you start using it, you wander how you lived without it  before lol smile   a minor bug to report in it:  when you set the day to 31 and then change the month to one that is only 30 day month you get an error message ...  very minor and does not crash anything
ps thanks for the direction to tutorial

dr.B wrote:

HI Krog
the indicator you made I found extremely useful I thank you again, it's one of those that once you start using it, you wander how you lived without it  before lol smile   a minor bug to report in it:  when you set the day to 31 and then change the month to one that is only 30 day month you get an error message ...  very minor and does not crash anything
ps thanks for the direction to tutorial

Heh heh -- I got lazy and just put a note on the tooltip smile
It should be for research and FSB-FST matching only, not real trading, so I figured I could take a short cut.

Hi dr.B,
I've added this thread:
http://forexsb.com/forum/topic/2775/cus … echniques/
for tips on coding custom indicator. That is the first topic I could think of, because tracing values is the most important step to help see what code is actually doing.
Let me know if you have requests for others, I'd be happy to add them.
thanks