Re: Definition of insanity...looking for some guidance

We're on the same page...

1. Yes -- regardless of what we do, strategies will be over curve-fitted / biased.

2. Market change -- nothing we can do about it.

3. Strategy selection -- we have some control.
    a. Manually select only those strategies that trend upward at the right-hand side of their balance / equity curve.
    b. Instead of selecting the top 50, select the top 10 and increment lotsize accordingly.

4. Strategies are "tightly coupled" to the IS data -- so, try "uncoupling".  The result is less pretty stats, but pretty stats are seductively misleading.
    a. Use fewer indicators, which also results in more trades (and more accurate statistics).
    b. Shake things up by introducing a Walk-Forward rule that breaks the tight hold the input data has on the optimized settings.

Yeah -- good question.  I don't know how to quantify and I'm not even sure whether it's possible or worth pursuing.  Also, consider this -- it could be that it's not the strategy's fault for poor performance but, rather, the market.  One day 33% of the strats perform well and another day a different 33% perform well.  So, if a different 33% perform well at different times then how are you going to figure that out?  Much too complicated...

I think a solution is to accept there will be non-winning days and focus on a workflow that provides an edge and yields an overall positive return.  In other words, instead of getting deeper into details, take a step back and look at the bigger picture.

footon wrote:

... So, a simplest of questions - what do those 33-66% have that the remaining don't? How to quantify it?

I just noticed something with the charts...and I think it's important...

I used a start time of 01:00 each day, principally because on my testing, EAS starts at a "new" day (when you pick dates in the past) - it picks from 00:00 to 23:45 each period.  So, 300 bars back from 23:45 etc.

However, @sleytus has said numerous times that he pushes live around London open...and generates strategies just before then.

And what I noticed in the charts was that for a period of approx. 9 hours after my "launch at 01:00" they virtually all declined in performance, before picking up again.

I reran a couple of them, starting the trading at 09:00 and they performed much better.
I also tested a couple of dates, re-generating portfolios, with much effort to get the times to align, and they seemed to perform much better too. 

Anyway, just thought I'd share that.

Cool -- thank you...

Those are GMT times, right?  Where 09:00 is around London Open, right?

I've also occasionally seen that decline, but didn't know what to make of it.

Since I'm posting, here is another lesson I just now painfully learned.  I usually use broker data for live trading and Premium Data for testing (because it's quicker and I'm lazy).  And recently while testing I was seeing some crappy results that didn't make sense.  When I substituted broker data for Premium Data then the test results were much improved.  So, treat this as an FYI...   smile

timelleston wrote:

I just noticed something with the charts...and I think it's important...

I used a start time of 01:00 each day, principally because on my testing, EAS starts at a "new" day (when you pick dates in the past) - it picks from 00:00 to 23:45 each period.  So, 300 bars back from 23:45 etc.

However, @sleytus has said numerous times that he pushes live around London open...and generates strategies just before then.

And what I noticed in the charts was that for a period of approx. 9 hours after my "launch at 01:00" they virtually all declined in performance, before picking up again.

I reran a couple of them, starting the trading at 09:00 and they performed much better.
I also tested a couple of dates, re-generating portfolios, with much effort to get the times to align, and they seemed to perform much better too. 

Anyway, just thought I'd share that.

sleytus wrote:

Those are GMT times, right?  Where 09:00 is around London Open, right?

Confirmed.

106 (edited by sleytus 2022-10-11 04:30:37)

We refer to "market conditions", "market changes", etc. -- how about we attempt to flush this out a bit so we are more clear about the meaning and implications.  I don't think there is anything we can do about market conditions, but I do think with a better understanding it would lead to a better understanding of why a portfolio EA performs as it does.

What market conditions is NOT:
1. Price direction -- i.e. trends
2. ???

What market conditions IS:
1. ADR (Average Daily Range)
2. Bar height
3. Swing length / interval between swings
4. ???

I would intentionally leave out economic news and other rare events that might cause spikes -- not because they don't affect the market but, rather, because they are rare events.  I'm more interested in those properties that routinely affect market conditions.

I've done enough testing and trading to see both good and bad days.  Bad days are usually when the portfolio EA treads water, and good days when profit grows gradually.  I don't think these have anything to do with the portfolio EA's algebra.  On a "bad" day I think most all portfolio EAs would trade poorly and on a "good" I think most all would perform well.  And the reason is simple:  On a "bad" day there are no Pips to be had, and on a "good" day there are available Pips.

So "market conditions" comes down to this:  Whether or not there are available Pips...  Some days Pips will be available and some days they won't.  And this is consistent with timelleston's Backward/Forward Excell charts...

QUES:  How does one know in advance whether Pips will be available in the near future?
ANS:    I have a friend in Chicago who will rent his time machine to anyone at a reasonable cost.  smile

https://snipboard.io/yIAUd1.jpg

107 (edited by GD 2022-10-11 03:26:16)

1>  CADJPY for some reason performs better than EURUSD and USDJPY.
After addition of min win/loss 1 and max equity drawdown 1, I had wins for 2 days.
I used London Open to create my EAs

2> I agreed that if there is trend then there are wins. I also saw it. This is what I saw even for 40,000 bars EAs.

I'm loving Express Generators ability to rapidly work through 2.8 million strategies in about 6 minutes, and ascend 100,000 strategies (my settings), into a collection of 10,000 strategies, which I can then upload into EAS, using some acceptance criteria, and then sort them, and add the top 50 of the best to a portfolio to export.

If EAS can generate 5,000 strategies in an hour, and keep 300, then being able to generate 100,000 > 10,000 > 300 > 50 surely = the creme de la creme of strategies for the next 24 hours.  In my book, thats an edge!

Running CADJPY 15m, on 900 bars now, in demo.

109 (edited by GD 2022-10-12 18:53:18)

Dear friends

1. If we fit to noise then we cannot have success in the future. This is correct.

If we fit to trend then it is fine. But we are not sure about the situation of market at present time even at last 300 bars.

So, we have to select how to treat noise to win and how to treat trend to win.

Popov many times said "do not overfit". It means that he recommends to do not take in account how market trends for a long time!!! Am I right?

In this approach we need a lot of data, which EA Studio offers.

2. In order to define trend and then find correct time to trend, good fitting maybe together with preset EA Studio indicators of higher time frames (larger periods) have to be used. This is not against of old traders who use this approach.

A first try of the above approach for 20,000 bars gave wins for CADJPY for all OOS and for ALL best 50 EAs.

There was a commercial EA in the past, which used overfitting and for long time - around 6 months - it won every day 7 pips per trade in EURUSD. I can verify it because I have it.

Now we have two approaches.

3. Relative to fuzzy approach, the problem is how we define each condition and WHY. I think EA Studio could include this approach of forecasting indicators the correct way.

4. There are more approaches for "forecasting indicators" for forex using different models. I recommend you to move step by step.

I would like to hear opinions. It is a HOT subject.

110 (edited by sleytus 2022-10-13 22:09:38)

I'm getting lost here...

1. GD has returned to 20000 historical bars -- which has nothing to do with the **current** market.

2. timelleston's goal is millions of strategies with better stats -- even though we know that better stats don't necessarily translate to better real-time performance.  Is there no limit to the number of strategies one needs in order to achieve an edge?  Is the edge more strategies and prettier statistics?

To clarify my point, it was the speed of going through potentially millions of strategies sorting out possible candidates.  Not that I'm ending up with millions of strategies.  Still only get/want 50. 

And at the end of the day, we're looking for portfolio performance in the aggregate, not the individual strategy performance, because we don't have "time" to change the strategy...we're only in market for a few hours.  I don't care what indicators the underlying strategy uses, it's the aggregate performance I'm looking for. 

My point was specific to Express Generator, not the theory of 200,000 bars vs 300 bars.

Exp.Gen gives me a greater pool, much faster, to pre-pick strategies from, before running them through EAS to get down to my 50. 

Similar in the way you manually check the right hand side of the curve to make sure its still going up...

sleytus wrote:

I'm getting lost here...

1. GD has returned to 20000 historical bars -- which has nothing to do with the **current** market.

2. timelleston's goal is millions of strategies with better stats -- even though we know that better stats don't necessarily translate to better real-time performance.  Is there no limit to the number of strategies one needs in order to achieve an edge?  Is the edge more strategies and prettier statistics?

Right -- I understand how you envision using Express Generator, though I may have exaggerated your perspective.

But even in your explanation above you again emphasize the goal being a "greater pool" of strategies to choose from, right?  And what criteria will you be using to select the top 50?  Might that be statistics?  And the prettier the statistics the more biased and over curve-fitted the settings.  And I'm referring to the aggregate statistics of the portfolio EA.

We currently have in our hands an amazing tool that generates thousands more strategies than we ever imaginged before introduction of EA Studio.  And that's not an edge?  You mean to say that instead of thousands we need to generate pools of millions from which to pick the top 50?

I'm not claiming that quality strategies aren't important -- rather, there are deeper issues to consider.  Your own charts provide evidence that different market conditions result in different performance -- even when your work flow is the same.  That is pretty strong proof that strategy generation is not what holds us back.

timelleston wrote:

To clarify my point, it was the speed of going through potentially millions of strategies sorting out possible candidates.  Not that I'm ending up with millions of strategies.  Still only get/want 50. 

And at the end of the day, we're looking for portfolio performance in the aggregate, not the individual strategy performance, because we don't have "time" to change the strategy...we're only in market for a few hours.  I don't care what indicators the underlying strategy uses, it's the aggregate performance I'm looking for. 

My point was specific to Express Generator, not the theory of 200,000 bars vs 300 bars.

Exp.Gen gives me a greater pool, much faster, to pre-pick strategies from, before running them through EAS to get down to my 50. 

Similar in the way you manually check the right hand side of the curve to make sure its still going up...

sleytus wrote:

I'm getting lost here...

Yes it is statistics that enables us to select the top 50, but I'm trying to objectively avoid selectively overfitting.  For example, I'm not using Net Balance as the primary driver in the final sort.  SQN or Balance Line Stability are my two favourites at the last stage.  I've got fixed SL/TP on the generation.

We can't avoid some overfitting, so we have to embrace it....which is why we're only in-market for a few hours - hopefully those conditions last a little while longer.

sleytus wrote:

But even in your explanation above you again emphasize the goal being a "greater pool" of strategies to choose from, right?  And what criteria will you be using to select the top 50?  Might that be statistics?  And the prettier the statistics the more biased and over curve-fitted the settings.  And I'm referring to the aggregate statistics of the portfolio EA.

Absolutely, EAS is incredible.  An edge for sure.  But I also think it's a combination of speed through which the pool is generated, to size of the pool.  For instance, if you had a tool that only gave you 100 options to pick 10 and it tool 10 hours to get the 100, versus another tool that took an hour to do the same thing, to another tool that took moments... 

I'm not sure how these are generating strategies at the immense speed they are, but I suspect they're using random selection of indicators and parameters for each indicator and generating a result.  And then a little later, another set of parameters is generated.  If the results happen to be better, then the latter overwrites the former.  While we want to avoid optimisation, this is a form of it.  We can't avoid it.  But this is what gives us our set of reasonable strategies that, yes, fit the curve for the data set we've given it. 

If it can work through those calculations much much faster, thats a good thing.  I'm not saying I only want W/L ratios of 1, and Profit Factors of 2, etc, because thats very likely to fail in the real market, so looking/testing for realistic options that work, at speed, is an awesome opportunity for us.

sleytus wrote:

We currently have in our hands an amazing tool that generates thousands more strategies than we ever imaginged before introduction of EA Studio.  And that's not an edge?  You mean to say that instead of thousands we need to generate pools of millions from which to pick the top 50?

sleytus wrote:

I'm not claiming that quality strategies aren't important -- rather, there are deeper issues to consider.  Your own charts provide evidence that different market conditions result in different performance -- even when your work flow is the same.  That is pretty strong proof that strategy generation is not what holds us back.

100% agree with you on your last point here.

How's it going guys? Any update on these ideas from a month of testing?

I’ve read this whole thread and I am excited about this idea. Seems brilliant and that it should work in theory.

I am trying this method and I can’t say with confidence that I’m doing it right.

I’ve tried EURUSD and CADJPY. I do tend to agree that CADJPY works better with this method. I have completely quit testing on EURUSD

I’ve got my generator set up using my brokers data.

300 bars of data.

Lots .1
Always use TP and SL
TP and SL min 10
TP and SL max 100

Acceptance
Min r squared 70
Min profit 10
Min Win/loss ratio .6

I have ran it for 24 hours each day and yet to have a winning day on my demos. 3 test days done so far.
Am I doing things right and I should expect to see profits soon or am I wrong on my generation criteria here?

Any new thoughts on this topic or guidance?

Tomorrow I’m going to test out adding min count of trades 10 to the mix and see how that performs.

116 (edited by timelleston 2022-11-17 06:55:20)

Good point - haven't updated this thread in a while...so here goes.

I've had reasonable results during the non-volatile times, but got stuffed around due to the huge volatility that happened recently in CJ - to the point where I changed my approach slightly, and so far it seems to be working better...  I only do this on CJ M15 though.

I was running 480 bars in the market for a max 96 bars (24 hours), then changed it to 192 bars in market.  But it was opening quite a few trades and with the volatility I had a few days of good profit, then a couple of fairly big losses.  I'm trading this on a live account so I went back to the testing.  I found a few things...

I re-tested from 480 bars out to 2880 bars (4 days to 30 days) which incorporated the volatile markets recently as well as the quieter times.  My forward testing also used the same approach to see how long to keep the EA opening positions in market.

1440 bars (15 days) of history seemed to work better in both volatile and trending markets (slightly more history), and 384 bars (4 days) seemed to be the best length of time to let it open trades for - 74% of the last 40 days have resulted in profits when setting max trades to zero at 384 bars, trading a max of 0.01 lots with 10 open positions.

I'm also matching my live results to the forward-testing results, and they're pretty close - some minor slippage occurs in live - so I'm comfortable that the testing is correct.

So on a daily basis, on my live account, I generate strategies at 07:00 GMT, for CJ M15 using 1440 bars of data.  I generate for 45 minutes, then push live and start it trading at 08:00 GMT every day.  I leave it to open positions for a max of 384 bars (programmatically).

One of the most important things I found was the time of generating and pushing live.  It has to be consistent. And 07:00 worked best (for me at least).  If I left it an hour later, the results were very different.

1440 bars of history also seems to handle the volatility better.  I generate on 0.1 lots, but trade purely 0.01 lots, with a fixed 150 SL (min/max) and a "may use" TP.  I'll adjust my SL slightly based on ATR over the last 1440 bars - currently it's sitting around 110/115, so I'm just outside of the true range.

With the advent of a few new great features in Express Generator, I'm now able to re-validate previously generated collections as part of "todays" collection.  I'll use the previous 5 days collections and check them using the same generating criteria:

;; Generator stop settings
max_working_minutes      = 45
max_ascended_strategies  = 50000
collection_capacity      = 50

;; Acceptance criteria
min_win_loss_ratio     = 1.0
max_drawdown_percent   = 1
min_count_of_trades    = 5
min_r_squared          = 1.0

The min R-SQ of 1 was a late arrival - I found a few strategies that had weird r-sq values (negative) so I was using that to filter them out.  I tried using R-SQ of 80 or 85 on generating, but didn't get great results.

I also ensure that I've got correlation turned on (0.98) for both balance line and similar strategies - that seems to have worked well.  One thing I saw was that I was getting quite a few strategies in-market which were opening trades the same way at the same bar, which introduced far more risk.  I believe it was because they were similar strategies.  So the correlation settings have made that much better.

I also use the Monte Carlo testing in EG - but only loosely:

enable_monte_carlo        = true
count_of_tests            = 20
valid_tests_percent       = 100
spread_max                = 40
slippage_max              =  5
mc_min_count_of_trades    =  5
mc_max_drawdown_percent   =  1
mc_min_r_squared          =  1
mc_min_win_loss_ratio     =  1

Only about 45% of strategies ascended are passing the MC test as well - which is good to know.

I was also letting the EA open up to 50 positions as my EA contains 50 strategies each time.  However, I dropped it to 30, and now I'm down to 10 due to risk management - it has the potential to have open more than 40 positions at the same time (due to running 4 EAs opening positions for 384 bars and then letting them close naturally) and so I want to limit risk overall, which is tricky to do when you think of aggregate potential for loss.  Although it is comforting that the past 40 days has seen much volatility and this approach has performed well overall.

Obviously this is still a work in progress, but it continues to show promising results, both on forward testing, and in market.  The biggest thing for me was to manage risk better with this approach, which I think I've done now, so I'm happily letting it run on my live account and observing the results.

Attached is my settings file for reference.  Obviously my settings will suit me, not everyone.

Post's attachments

cadjpy.ini 2.54 kb, 20 downloads since 2022-11-16 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Ah interesting! Out of curiosity do you have any of those charts so I can visually make sense of what you wrote? If not don’t worry about posting it. I think I have it from what you said.

A question or thought I have is, why limit the trades to 10 instead of just picking only the top 10 strategies? Maybe there’s a good reason I’m not thinking of, but it seems like the strategies are being randomly selected by whichever indicators are triggering trades first rather than taking every trade possible.

Why allow potentially worse strategies to trigger when you could have better strategies trigger? Maybe that’s to curve fit? But isn’t that what we’re going for on this whole concept to curve fit strategies for the current market phase and hope the current market phase continues for a short period of time. This is possible only with this, a short amount of data because the generator is forced to only see a small portion of data.

I also intend to test this with FTMO trials.

Passing the FTMO challenge is the goal I’m trying to accomplish with Popov’s awesome software.

Maybe we can all get there and post out certificates one day smile

timelleston wrote:

I leave it to open positions for a max of 384 bars (programmatically).

Is there a setting in the EA to not open trades after x bars or did you add custom code to do that?

aaronpriest wrote:

Is there a setting in the EA to not open trades after x bars or did you add custom code to do that?

No, I add the code to each EA once it's downloaded.  Happy to share the code if you'd like it.  It's certainly not as elegant as Mr Popov's though wink

timelleston wrote:
aaronpriest wrote:

No, I add the code to each EA once it's downloaded.  Happy to share the code if you'd like it.  It's certainly not as elegant as Mr Popov's though wink

Sure, I'd love to see it if you don't mind. I was looking to see if there was a 3rd party EA to handle a feature like that, makes more sense to do it within the EA itself.

I also used to edit the EA to use a risk % per trade to ensure that none ever went over 1% risk for example for some prop firm rules, but that doesn't appear to work with recent updates. I haven't used EAS in over a year, and I'm eager to try out the new Express Generator. It's been fun reading up on the progress y'all have been making since I last visited the forums.

121 (edited by timelleston 2022-11-17 06:56:18)

Matthew Roberts wrote:

Out of curiosity do you have any of those charts so I can visually make sense of what you wrote?

No problem - attached is an excel spreadsheet with the daily forward tests back to Sept 19th.

Each column is the date the EA was launched on - all at 08:00 GMT (generated with data from 07:00 GMT).  Each one has exactly the same settings in the .ini file.

Each row represents the number of bars that the EA would be allowed to open new trades (basically it programmatically sets the "Max Open Trades" to 0, N-bars after the go-live time.  In my EA I also set the time the EA goes live.  That way I can ensure it doesn't open trades prior to launch (for testing) and also stops new positions N bars after launch time.

I've done the testing in groups of 4 bars, so as it's 15M chart, it's based on 4x15 minutes, or 1 hour.  The custom codes counts the number of bars since launch and if it's less than 384 it will allow the trade to occur, otherwise it won't.

So for example, on the 19th Sept (first column D), if the EA was set to Max Open Positions = 0 after 4 bars (1 hour) the profit would have been AUD $5.70.  After 8 bars AUD$7.32, etc.  After 384 bars, or 96 hours, it would have a profit of $54.78 once it closes all of its open trades - which it does gracefully over the next few days. 

So, it's important to understand that you don't just close all trades at 384 bars - you tell the EA it cannot open any new positions at that point in time.  You have to leave the EA running until it's closed all the open positions on its own.

Theres a few charts dotted around the spreadsheet, but the main ones I use are the three immediately to the right of the main data table:
- Total Profit / Loss by number of bars post launch
- % of Days in Profit over last 40 days
- Running P/L by Day by Number of Bars post launch

I'm basically trading the yellow line (384 bars) in live. 

A question or thought I have is, why limit the trades to 10 instead of just picking only the top 10 strategies? Maybe there’s a good reason I’m not thinking of, but it seems like the strategies are being randomly selected by whichever indicators are triggering trades first rather than taking every trade possible.

You could limit it to just the top 10 strategies, but, in my opinion, those will be too narrow / limiting to the period.  I prefer to have a few more "in the bag" so to speak that the EA can choose from for each bar.  I'm limiting it to the first 10 positions it opens.  If it closes a position, then it can open another one using any of the 50.  It might choose strategy number 46 for this bar, but if I'd only got 10 strategies in the EA, obviously #46 wouldn't be there.  Personal choice I guess, but when we're trying to capture/fit the curve for a short period of time, those 50 strategies worked well during the generation time, so their conditions might be met again during live-time.  Does that make sense?  Somewhere in my brain it does smile

Edited: updated the spreadsheet with data for this week so far, and found a calc error in the % daily wins - fixed (still around 75%)

Post's attachments

Testing Bars 15m EG 1440-10.xlsx 168.63 kb, 15 downloads since 2022-11-17 

122 (edited by timelleston 2022-11-17 05:59:31)

Sure, I'd love to see it if you don't mind. I was looking to see if there was a 3rd party EA to handle a feature like that, makes more sense to do it within the EA itself.

No worries - attached is a modified EA for Nov 2nd test in the spreadsheet.

My custom code is in two parts
Part 1 is from line 28 to 110 (inclusive)
Part 2 is from 380-400 (modified existing code - just compare the two trading functions OpenPosition and ClosePosition and you'll see the differences.

Originally I was using an account "safety" setting whereby it would close all open positions if the EA lost more than a specific amount of money (set as a parameter).  But I found it didn't work well so that's a bit of legacy code in there.

I basically use a spread check during the OpenPosition function.  Initially it checks the spread to see if it should open trades or not.  During that check I also calculate the number of bars since the launch date/time, and if thats less than my parameter (EALivesFor) then I say the spread is ok and max_open_positions remains at whatever was set, otherwise I set max_open_positions to zero and the spread is not ok, (piggybacking that function), and so the open new trade doesn't happen.

I admit I really need to clean that code up - apologies...but it works.

If you run this in MT5 strategy tester, the settings would be:

Entry lots: 0.01
Base Magic Number: 100
Max Open Positions: 10
Max Account balance loss: 1000
Don't Open Trade if Spread High: true
Max spread allowed: 40
Gracefully close after N bars: true
Time EA is set live: 2022.11.02 10:00:00
Number of bars EA opens: 384
(or if testing this using opt)
Number of bars EA opens: start: 4, step 4, stop 480
Post's attachments

Portfolio Expert CADJPYa M15 2 Nov.mq5 186.32 kb, 7 downloads since 2022-11-17 

timelleston wrote:

I basically use a spread check during the OpenPosition function.  Initially it checks the spread to see if it should open trades or not.  During that check I also calculate the number of bars since the launch date/time, and if thats less than my parameter (EALivesFor) then I say the spread is ok and max_open_positions remains at whatever was set, otherwise I set max_open_positions to zero and the spread is not ok, (piggybacking that function), and so the open new trade doesn't happen.

Pretty neat trick!

Thanks for sharing the spreadsheet!

It appears that your chart Total Profit / Loss by Number of Bars post launch could have passed an FTMO challenge very easily. That's promising! There was less than 250 draw down for 1400 profit. You could even increase the risk a little bit says .12 - .15 lots or so that you could hit the profit target in less than 30 days.

I'm in the USA so it's very difficult for me to put it on at 7 GMT as that's 2 AM for me.
Any suggestions for automating this process to happen while I sleep?

There's the Windows Events, which will run express-generator automatically.
I'm hung up on all the extra steps that would have to be done.
1. Export the EA in EA Studio
2. Add the additional source code correctly
3. Put the EA into data folder in MT4 / MT5.
4. Put the EA onto the chart.

Those are all things that would have to be automated for this to be realistic for me to even try.

Update adding the minimum count trades to 10 made my results far worse actually.

125 (edited by timelleston 2022-11-18 00:18:39)

Matthew Roberts wrote:

I'm hung up on all the extra steps that would have to be done.
1. Export the EA in EA Studio
2. Add the additional source code correctly
3. Put the EA into data folder in MT4 / MT5.
4. Put the EA onto the chart.

1. Loading the collection into EAS and exporting the portfolio, at the moment, is the thing that requires manual intervention.  There's no way around that at the moment...other than an alarm clock?
2. I've scripted this using a "watched" directory, so when the .mq5 file is downloaded from EAS it automatically adds the extra bits, changes the file name for me (adds dates etc).
3. Again scripted this (as part of #2) by compiling it to .ex5 and then it's SFTP'd to my VPS into the correct folder.
4. I believe this can be done (although haven't tried it yet).  I think it's done using an MT5 config file somehow.  But I'm not sure how it all works.

Update adding the minimum count trades to 10 made my results far worse actually.

Yes 10 certainly reduces the profitability (and of course risk),  For FTMO you'd have less limitations on margin, given it's a 100:1 account and so you'd have more options to play around with lot size, max number of open trades etc for sure, to find the right balance.

I think we're all waiting anxiously to see whether Mr Popov is going to allow/create converting the collection to a Portfolio automatically (within Exp.Gen)... fingers crossed smile

update: it might be possible to load EAs via templates...just found this link on Quora: https://qr.ae/pvQLQL