Re: EURUSD 1day Fractal, 6000pips profit, 100% reliable

Please, explain in details!

The basic principle, that all successful traders use, when they open the position, is to define goal price (take profit price ? TP) and stop loss price ? SL.
That can be done with fixed limit ? TP price and fixed stop ? SL price, what is already programmed  in FSB program. But better posibility is, when we don?t define fixed TP price but define TP price as indicator , for example: limit = upper Bollinger band. SL price could be fixed or  indicator, for example MA.
   Even better posibility would be, if we could define conditional limit ? TP price. For example: SL = -30, Conditional TP = 40. If TP is reached, we don?t exit the trade, but set new  position from reached TP: limit = 50, SL = trailing stop -20.
  I beleive that is difficult to programme , but it would be very useful for profesional strategy building.

I think I can do something like trailing stop + trailing limit.
Trailing stop -30pips, trailing limit 60 pips above the Tr. Stop. When the stop moves upward the limit moves also. When the first is reach - the other has to be cancelled.

Any new developments with this? These strategies are interesting and the 'newer' feautures very interesting too. Have they been implemented since this post?

See the unstable version.

"
The basic principle, that all successful traders use, when they open the position, is to define goal price (take profit price ? TP) and stop loss price ? SL.
That can be done with fixed limit ? TP price and fixed stop ? SL price, what is already programmed  in FSB program. But better posibility is, when we don?t define fixed TP price but define TP price as indicator , for example: limit = upper Bollinger band. SL price could be fixed or  indicator, for example MA.
   Even better posibility would be, if we could define conditional limit ? TP price. For example: SL = -30, Conditional TP = 40. If TP is reached, we don?t exit the trade, but set new  position from reached TP: limit = 50, SL = trailing stop -20.
  I beleive that is difficult to programme , but it would be very useful for profesional strategy building.

"

Can this strategy be implemented via an entirely different method. Can we use a neural network using various technical indicator and current and past price to learn how to successful set profitable goal most of the time.

If this can be implemented, live with FSB will be even much easier. We now have an alternative not to search through all the combination of technical indicators and their parameters and having to worry about overfitting.

32 (edited by ccjuce 2007-04-17 23:24:58)

the over-optimization is worse than the manual searching of parameters.
I think that we have to have the idea of the logic first and to implement it in FSB or MetaTrader to see the result. Not to start a technical analysis "shaker" in search of the best strategy. smile

For EURUSD H1, I manage to sqeeze out 15,358 pips

Forex Strategy Builder V 2.4.0.3-1 Unstable
Strategy name: Daily_30K_AllCurrency
Exported on: 4/18/2007 6:18:45 AM

Market: EURUSD 1 Day
Spread: 4 pips
Swap Number: 1 pip

Balance: 15358 pips
Minimum account: -396 pips
Maximum drawdown: 426 pips
Time in position: 57 %

other curriencies

Exported on: 4/18/2007 6:20:24 AM

Market: GBPUSD 1 Day

Balance: 31243 pips
Minimum account: -330 pips
Maximum drawdown: 856 pips
Time in position: 46 %

Exported on: 4/18/2007 6:21:20 AM

Market: USDCHF 1 Day

Balance: 34670 pips
Minimum account: -17 pips
Maximum drawdown: 589 pips
Time in position: 44 %

Exported on: 4/18/2007 6:21:43 AM

Market: USDJPY 1 Day

Balance: 15182 pips
Minimum account: -128 pips
Maximum drawdown: 857 pips
Time in position: 39 %

This is to show that FSB is a very good strategy builder for a novice like me, you just need to love experimenting.

I don't understand how your trailing limit would ever be triggered if it moved up with the trailing stop.
Also, why would you want to limit your profit. Why not just let your trailing stop be your only exit?
Please explain.

Thanks Popov,
dm9
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Popov wrote:

I think I can do something like trailing stop + trailing limit.
Trailing stop -30pips, trailing limit 60 pips above the Tr. Stop. When the stop moves upward the limit moves also. When the first is reach - the other has to be cancelled.

Cogito Ergo Sum

The Trailing Stop is a constant value during the bar. Its order is canceled at the end of the bar and a new close order with updated value is send at the beginning of the next bar.

The idea behind the "Trailing Limit" (not available in FSB) is to ensure that the position will be closed at a level reached during an unusual rapid movement of the market in our direction. This limit is also constant during the bar and can be corrected for the next bar in case of moving of the trailing stop.

I am using the latest version of FSB and I copied the fractal strategies posted here:
http://forum.forexsb.com/viewtopic.php?pid=264#p264
http://forum.forexsb.com/viewtopic.php?pid=279#p279

They both produce a loss, why? Were there any changes in the software or data? Look sad

Forex Strategy Builder v2.5.3.2
Strategy name: Generated
Exported on: 11/4/2007 6:13:05 PM

Market: USDJPY 4 Hours

Intrabar scanning: Not accomplished
Interpolation method: Pessimistic scenario
Ambiguous bars: 7
Tested bars: 4378
Balance: -13778 pips
Minimum account: -13778 pips
Maximum drawdown: 13778 pips
Time in position: 14 %

A same direction signal - Does nothing
An opposite direction signal - Does nothing

[Opening point of the position]
Fractal
     Enter long at Fractal Up
     Is it visible  -  Yes

[Closing point of the position]
Moving Average
     Exit the market at the MA value
     Smoothing method  -  Simple
     Base price  -  Close
     Period  -  1
     Shift  -  0
     Use previous bar value  -  Yes

The quoted strategies have been tested by the version 2.4 of FSB. It was not reliable and the shown results are faulty. (We didn't know this at that time sad )

There are several significant changes:
Introducing of the Interpolating methods. (The earlier FSB acted similar to the current "Shortest price route" method.)
FSB recognizes the ambiguous bars.
Critical bugs are corrected, concerning "Use previous bar value" function.
When FSB loads forex rates it checks it. (The data files included in the earlier versions ware containing bad quality data. Especially for USDJPY and GBPUSD before 1998. The data bars were with equal open price and close price and this bended the result of several indicators.)

We can say that the current version is the most reliable published ever. (But you know that the bugs can be very tricky sad )
We make our best to ensure a safe and trustworthy back test.   

For the strategy mentioned above the reason of the difference are application of the pessimistic method of interpolation and the removal of the older faulty data.

Popov wrote:

Forex Strategy Builder V 2.4.0.1
Strategy name: New
Exported on: 4/14/2007 1:21:35 AM

Market: USDJPY 4 Hours

Balance: 2615 pips
Minimum account: -73 pips
Maximum drawdown: 281 pips
Time in position: 24 %

The same direction signal - does Nothing
The opposite direction signal - does Nothing

Fractal
     Open long at Fractal Up
     Is it visible  -  Yes

Moving Average
     The market exit is at the MA value
     Smoothing method  -  Simple
     Base price  -  Close
     Period  -  1
     Shift  -  0
     Use previous bar value  -  Yes

It looks very good.
You catch the main idea of FSB - fast and easy strategy building.

Popov,

As one scrolls thru the different days you'll see many with orders during the day, what do these mean in real life and how can this be employed as such? 

That's one of the check-box conditions I feel is direly needed for generator to arrive at useful solutions, check-box to suppress results having intrabar orders, check-box to weed out selected DD amounts, and check-box to suppress multiple lot accumulation.  Could it be possible we could promptly enjoy such soon, as they are of such minor detail work yet of such urgent high value, as in being able to hunt for any length of time and know these weird un-uisable results won't be OK, that's pretty important, no?

Then later you can add at your leisure the Validation feedback check-box, this way we only also arrive at only walk-forwardable solutions during every generator run.

jerry

Here is what I get with new data and only testing from 2006 to now.

Forex Strategy Builder v2.5.3.3
Strategy name: New
Exported on: 04/02/2008 02:05:12

Ambiguous bars: 0
Tested bars: 530
Balance: 514 pips
Minimum account: -33 pips
Maximum drawdown: 197 pips
Time in position: 13 %

Fractal
     Enter long at Fractal Up
     Is it visible  -  Yes

Bar Closing
     Exit the market at the end of the bar
     Base price  -  Close

re-post as important!!!!

(you have done check-box for DD, great!  Thanks!)
------------------------------
Popov,

As one scrolls thru the different days you'll see many with orders during the day, what do these mean in real life and how can this be employed as such? 

That's one of the check-box conditions I feel is direly needed for generator to arrive at useful solutions, check-box to suppress results having intrabar orders, check-box to weed out selected DD amounts, and check-box to suppress multiple lot accumulation.  Could it be possible we could promptly enjoy such soon, as they are of such minor detail work yet of such urgent high value, as in being able to hunt for any length of time and know these weird un-uisable results won't be OK, that's pretty important, no?

Then later you can add at your leisure the Validation feedback check-box, this way we only also arrive at only walk-forwardable solutions during every generator run.

jerry

Please...
How do I use this strategy in the platform MetaTrader4?
What are the indicators? And how to control their characteristics?

Thanks
Good-Luck!!

FX KING

Balance: 514 pips is not too bad.

My actual trading balance for an year is about 600-650 pips.

AHAF

This strategy is simple enough and it is easy to be tested.

The only indicator is Fractal.

We have an Up Fractal when there is a day with a High Price higher than the High Price of the next and the previous two days.

The same is for a Down Fractal - it is at the Low of a day preceded and followed by two days with higher Low.

The trading rules are:

If the nearer Up Fractal is higher than the today's Open Price you place an Entry Buy Stop Pending order with price the Up Fractal. This order is valid till the end of the day.

For the short position is the same. Entry Stop Sell order at the down Fractal.

If the market price reach one of the orders, you have to cancel the other. The exit is at the End of the bar.

IT s the first day i come to your forum and i m a french speaker excuse me for my por english. in fact, i m interesting in your fractal strategie but reading about it i can assume that i dont understand anything about it.please what do you call fractal ?how does it work? may you ulistrate it whith a clear picture?.Be very clear in your explaination.                                                                     regards

Maybe this explanation about using Fractals will help  >>>

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/trading/06/Fractals.asp

smile

Cogito Ergo Sum

There is a short description of the fractals in the Wiki help system http://forexsb.com/help/indicators/fractal

How do i select FRACTAL from indicators? Thanks

It is in the menu.

To Popov,

I am fascinated with this strategy due to its simplicity.  I find it refreshing that a strategy without any indicators or chart overlays can be as successful or more than with more complicated methods. 

I understand and have researched that this strategy is connected to the Elliot Wave Theory as that theory utilizes fractals to tell when new waves are beginning and old ones ending.  In addition, I also understand and have researched that this strategy incorporates Fibonacci ratios indirectly.  I say this due to the fact that the Elliot Wave Theory has it integrated in its wave counts.  So, I understand the background and the chaos theory it is connected to and that is all well and good but have you ever gone live with this concept to see if it works in real time and with real money?

In addition, I have back tested this strategy using the Ross Hook and got slightly better results.  I know that many Ross Hooks are fractals as well so that probably explains why it likewise works so well this this chart configuration as well. 

Finally, I has a question about leverage in F.S.B..  No matter what leverage is being used for the back test whether it is 10, 20, 100:1, the results always demonstrate the same percentage and amount gained at the end of the test.  In real life, if you make say 20% per year with a given strategy with no leverage then it would become 200% at 10:1 or ten times leverage.  Due to this, how should the results be read after a test is conducted on the back tester?

Thanks,

George

Very nice and simple strategy. Superior Win/Loss ratio and very consistant performance on the EURUSD.

A few comments.
1. Need to look at how this would work with stop/limit exits instead. This would help manage the investment risk on each trade.

2. I have a data set in a MySql database and I wrote a short php program to test this with very similar results to yours. 9500 pips from 1/1/2000 to 11/30/2009

3. I added an additional tweak. If the event of a positive trade, let it run for another day. Over 10 years this added about 20% to performance. up to 11,500 pips

4. A simple MM strategy was to have 10 micro lots for every $1000 equity. This strategy consistently doubled the equity annually.

I do have a concern about why this works so consistently well for EURUSD and also USDJPY yet performance is very patchy for almost all other pairs. any explanation for that?

Bravo

I have try this strategy but here is what i get. Where is the mistake?
Strategy name: EURYSD D1 OBOS MA Osc with BreakEven
Forex Strategy Builder v2.64.0.0
Exported on: 18/9/2011 5:58:30 πμ

Description:
(This description might be outdated!)

Automatically generated on 08/08/2011 08:47.

Spread in pips: 3,00
Swap Long in pips: 2,00
Swap Short in pips: -2,00
Commission per lot at opening and closing in pips: 0,00
Slippage in pips: 0

Maximum open lots: 20,00
Entry lots: 1,00
Adding lots: 1,00
Reducing lots: 1,00

Ambiguous bars: 16
Tested bars: 5700
Balance: -15204 pips (-142040,00 USD)
Minimum account: -15631 pips (-146310,00 USD)
Maximum drawdown: 15631 pips (156310,00 USD)
Time in position: 55 %

[Strategy Properties]
     Permanent Stop Loss - None
     Permanent Take Profit - None
     Break Even - None

[Opening Point of the Position]
     Fractal
     Enter long at an Up Fractal
     Visibility  -  The fractal is visible
     Vertical shift  -  0