Topic: Several positions changes SL and TP

Hello forum members,
I am testing several FST on a Alpari UK demo MT4 platform.
The strategy positions look like this and allow several positions of 0,5 % of the account up to 5 lot of open positions. That means that several positions can be open at the same time.

http://s2.postimage.org/PvxVJ.jpg

I have discovered that when a new position opens it changes the SL and TP of the existing open positions.
See the list over open positions below. Positions of the same currency pair have different open time, but the same SL and TP.
http://s3.postimage.org/k3q1J.jpg

The strategy is set to have permanent Take Profit at 400 and permanent stop loss at 300. Therefore the S/L and T/P should be different as the entry price is different for each position.
I think that the last created position that FST creates changes the SL and TP of the existing positions in MT4.
Is FST suppose to do that?

Re: Several positions changes SL and TP

This is a good thing it the marked moves in the same direction as the position. When a new position then opens the S/L is changed for the previous positions as a trailing stop.
But when the marked moves in the opposite direction the S/L for the existing positions get larger then the permanent stop loss. In my case the I had losses up to over 500 pips which should not have been possible with a permanent S/L set to 300 pip.

What you noticed is exactly how it was designed.

For FST, only one "aggregate" position exists. It includes all open positions in MT4.

MT4 cannot add lots to already open position, so FST opens a new position every time he strategy wants to add more lots.

In my case the I had losses up to over 500 pips which should not have been possible with a permanent S/L set to 300 pip.

This is unwanted side effect.

Edit
You can use "Winner" mode for adding. In that case the strategy adds only to positions on a profit and the stop will trail in favorable direction.

Thanks for clarifying this.
Regarding the "Winner" mode, thats a very nice tip and exactly what I was looking for. Now it will be interesting to see how it perform on a forward testing.

omg and i though for months now that winner mode is a kind of  TP

i was so stupid

Hi guys,

i have nice strategy, itried it on demo and i took a risk to change demo to live account,

unfortunatelly i found strange behaviour when strategy was adding 0.01% of equity to the position as it should it also changed the TP of all opened positions, is this feature or bug? smile

togr wrote:

Hi guys,

i have nice strategy, itried it on demo and i took a risk to change demo to live account,

unfortunatelly i found strange behaviour when strategy was adding 0.01% of equity to the position as it should it also changed the TP of all opened positions, is this feature or bug? smile

Popov wrote:

What you noticed is exactly how it was designed.

For FST, only one "aggregate" position exists. It includes all open positions in MT4.

MT4 cannot add lots to already open position, so FST opens a new position every time he strategy wants to add more lots.

thank you for prompt reply,

what is still do not get is that when the strategy opens another position due to add logic,

it did change TP of already opened 'original' position,

so when the TP is set to 100 pips it is bewing modified to the level the position never reaches,

is there a way to prevent it?