This is an old revision of the document!
The Generator is a unique tool that:
The Generator interface consists of several parts:
The Generator's toolbar contains a button for start and stop, the percentage shows how much of the current task is complete. In the toolbar you can also see the number of the calculated strategies and a button for editing the best one of the generated Experts.
Start / Stop button – Starts/Stops the generation process. When the Generator is running, it composes and calculates Experts. It stops automatically when the preset working time expires.
Progress - the progress value represents the percent of the time that passed from the start of the generator compared to the preset working time.
Calculated - the number of the calculated strategies for the current run.
Edit - the Edit button loads the current strategy in the Editor. There you can view and change the indicators.
Entry Lots – this number sets the trading amount in lots for opening a new position. Please consider the value well. It must correspond to your initial account and the lot size defined by your broker.
Stop Loss usage – the Generator takes this parameter into account when it sets the strategy Stop Loss. There are three options:
The Stop Loss can be either “Trailing”, “Fixed” or “Fixed or Trailing”.
Take Profit usage – it determines whether the Generator uses Take Profit. There also three options as above.
Working minutes – the working time of the Generator. You can start the Generator, let it work and it will stop after its preset time.
Out of Sample – OOS is a very important concept and it is almost always used by experienced traders. Using it makes the strategy much more reliable.
When you use the 'In sample' option, the Generator searches for the best strategy by comparing the net balances of the calculated strategies.
When you use 30% OOS, the Generator first calculates the position of the data bars, which corresponds to the 30% of the data series. Then it takes this bar balance for comparing.
The OOS is basically a simulation of real trading. So, if you have designed the strategy using the first 70% of the data and after that you trade the strategy for the remaining 30% of the data. This is also called 'future test in the past' or 'testing with unknown data'. The goal of OOS is to achieve a smooth upward line in the OOS Zone. If this is not the case, the strategy is not fit to be traded. On the other hand, even if the balance line is smoothly raising this in no way а guarantee the strategy will be profitable, but it will certainly have a much greater chance to make profits than an strategy with a fluctuating balance.
Backtest result – this table contains the statistical information from the backtest of the shown Expert.
Market info - this table shows information about the loaded data file. You can change the data series from the Editor tab.
Balance chart – it shows the Expert performance for the whole time of the backtest. The chart plots two main lines:
Indicator Chart – outlines the price bars and the indicators used in the Expert.