Re: MT4 Tracker -- new tool for monitoring & pruning EA portfolio

Irmantas wrote:

... tracker counts PL without paid commission...

Thanks for helping rantampla figure out the discrepancy.  Yes -- MT4 Tracker does not take into account, commissions, taxes or swap.  I made that decision because I felt in the big picture it would be more valuable to focus strictly on how a strategy (or portfolio) performs independent of broker, account type, etc.  I mean, if a strategy is good then I want to know that it is good.  If that strategy were to lose money when placed in a live account due to commissions, taxes, swap -- then that's a different problem and I may need to change brokers or account types.  Another way to look at it -- suppose I have a couple of accounts with different brokers and I run the same Portfolio Expert in both accounts.  I would expect MT4 Tracker to report the same results -- since both accounts are running the same Portfolio Expert.  But if MT4 Tracker were to take into account commissions, taxes and swap then the results would be different -- and that would be very confusing, at least to me.  With the current implementation, if the results were different between brokers then I know it is probably due to commission, taxes, swap and I would probably migrate to the better broker.

Blaiserboy wrote:

...there is no magic number so this may not be worthwhile pursuing...

I took a quick look at one of the report files you sent and I see some transactions include a "mgc: NN".  Is that NN a magic number that MT5 includes or something you added?  I did some Googling and my impression is that MT5 does support Magic Numbers.

By the way, with regards to Metaquotes one day phasing out MT4...  With the critical mass of people using MT4 indicators, EAs and other tools, I think this would be a long ways off.  My guess is you'll be vacationing on your 200-foot yacht anchored in Honolulu Bay by the time MT4 goes away.

LOL @ 200 foot yacht, a person would need to own an oil company to power one.

MT5 'History' page does not have a column for Magic Number, it has a column for 'comments' that some people use for Magic Number. I should have sent a screen shot and thought of that before I asked you to consider MT5.

I am going to convert some MT5 ea's to MT4 and use a trade copiers for the others so that I can use MT4-Tracker for all.

I use MT5 a lot because it can optimize using more variables than MT4 and it has a far better data resource. (opinion)
Plus it can use the cloud for long optimizations which is an advantage. I have some complex ea's that need a long oprimization and MT4 is not suitable for those.

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

sleytus wrote:
Irmantas wrote:

... tracker counts PL without paid commission...

Thanks for helping rantampla figure out the discrepancy.  Yes -- MT4 Tracker does not take into account, commissions, taxes or swap.  I made that decision because I felt in the big picture it would be more valuable to focus strictly on how a strategy (or portfolio) performs independent of broker, account type, etc.  I mean, if a strategy is good then I want to know that it is good.  If that strategy were to lose money when placed in a live account due to commissions, taxes, swap -- then that's a different problem and I may need to change brokers or account types.  Another way to look at it -- suppose I have a couple of accounts with different brokers and I run the same Portfolio Expert in both accounts.  I would expect MT4 Tracker to report the same results -- since both accounts are running the same Portfolio Expert.  But if MT4 Tracker were to take into account commissions, taxes and swap then the results would be different -- and that would be very confusing, at least to me.  With the current implementation, if the results were different between brokers then I know it is probably due to commission, taxes, swap and I would probably migrate to the better broker.

Yes, i understand, you are right smile

As Option a Info in Window with the Swap, comission Pays?

smile

This thing looks like a real disaster, but there is some good info in here (in MT4 Tracker).

As bad as this thing looks...., there are several strategies that have a very high win percentage with a good number of trades.

I decided to not prune until I have 100 trades for the ones to be pruned. to make sure they are losers.

At first I cleaned out the losers too quickly and I think I may have discarded some that would have turned out to be worthwhile. yikes:

Post's attachments

DaveM-0156.jpg 33.12 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Blaiserboy wrote:

This thing looks like a real disaster, but there is some good info in here (in MT4 Tracker).

As bad as this thing looks...., there are several strategies that have a very high win percentage with a good number of trades.

I decided to not prune until I have 100 trades for the ones to be pruned. to make sure they are losers.

At first I cleaned out the losers too quickly and I think I may have discarded some that would have turned out to be worthwhile. yikes:

@Blaiserboy

How long you give the Strategies Time before you delete the Bad Strategies?

1 Month, 3 Months? or longer?

I want to see 100 trades before I get rid of them....

Some of them I already know to be bad, some do not trade at all, some  have traded once in a couple weeks...

So. depending on the time frame I will start to get rid of them perhaps in late August....

That is really hard to say, I know that I got rid of a few that may have been good ones. That was a mistake, I tried to have a perfect portfolio for the first couple weeks.

I am not really suire how long I will keep them.. I have a couple that  are big losers, I may clean those out soon.

At one time I was using MT4 Tracker a couple times a day.. now I use it a couple times a week, I just sort the list and have a look.. and close the program.

We generally forward test for 6 months..., so I guess that is what I will try to do although I am undecided.

Sorry for the crappy answer. lol

Blaiserboy wrote:

I want to see 100 trades before I get rid of them....

Some of them I already know to be bad, some do not trade at all, some  have traded once in a couple weeks...

So. depending on the time frame I will start to get rid of them perhaps in late August....

That is really hard to say, I know that I got rid of a few that may have been good ones. That was a mistake, I tried to have a perfect portfolio for the first couple weeks.

I am not really suire how long I will keep them.. I have a couple that  are big losers, I may clean those out soon.

At one time I was using MT4 Tracker a couple times a day.. now I use it a couple times a week, I just sort the list and have a look.. and close the program.

We generally forward test for 6 months..., so I guess that is what I will try to do although I am undecided.

Sorry for the crappy answer. lol

Interesting Answer. its help me for new thoughts smile

thank you smile

Hi sleytus,
I have a little problem:
1. I have tried the first time to prune an EA in a Portfolio Expert Advisor but I get a message that nothing was pruned (see attached screenshot). Can you please check why this is. The corresponding report I will add in the next post.
2. I do not understand how to use the option "Exclude Non-trading strategies" What does this mean?

Post's attachments

p1.jpg 133.54 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

The file:

Post's attachments

01.07.-14.07.Statement-ksort-k-sley.htm 103.9 kb, 3 downloads since 2017-07-19 

And here the mq4-file

Post's attachments

EA Studio Portfolio Expert(1).mq4 27.41 kb, 7 downloads since 2017-07-19 

bru1 wrote:

...I have a little problem...

For pruning to work you need to enter the *Base* magic number.  In your case that would be 200 (and not 200008).  '200008' is the magic number of a single strategy.  MT4 Tracker needs to use the Base magic number in order to prune many strategies (not just one).

1. o.k. now I understand how it works.
2. I still do not understand how to use the option "Exclude Non-trading strategies" What does this mean?
thank you for your help

Strategies that have not traded are not counted in the column of losers.

Thank you Blaiserboy, I like how you always try to help and assist in any corner

Thank you so much for MT4 Tracker, up to now I have been using MT Report which has worked well, but is not suitable for the portfolio function of EA Studio.

I wonder if pips could be used as a metric rather than profit - if an EA is doing well on a live account I tend to increase the lot size.  Really i would like to be monitoring pips - I know that for a stable performance of an EA, when I increase the lot size the equity curve will increase at a greater rate - showing that the EA is performing better (which it isn't).

Whilst it is good to see profit factor as that is measuring losses too and will be representative of performance even if the lot size is increased, it is the equity curve of each EAs that I look at to see any degradation of performance - it would be more useful if that equity curve was not an equity curve but a pips curve.

Perhaps an option to display the graphs in pips might be useful as an addition to the also helpful equity curves?

Also a facility to see the dates of the trades both in the Inspect chart tab and also as a hover over function on the Strategy Statistics tab for the Strategy Magic number chart - it just saves going back to the report file to see when a trade was last placed with a particular strategy.

Once again thank you - what a difference your app makes!

trader1234 wrote:

Thank you so much for MT4 Tracker, up to now I have been using MT Report which has worked well, but is not suitable for the portfolio function of EA Studio.

I appreciate the good word -- it means a lot.  And thanks really goes to Popov.  If it wasn't for his amazing software I'd be taking my dog for more walks instead of writing tools for Forex trading.

Regarding pips -- I understand and will consider it.  But as with everything in life, there are always trade-offs.  I'm not an experienced trader so my perspective may be off, but the problem with using pips is I would no longer be able to compare one strategy with another.  The purpose of the app is to help compare strategies to one another and exclude the poor performers.  Pips have different values depending on currency pair (e.g. EURUSD vs USDJPY, lot size).  So, for example, if you were comparing two strategies -- one that won 10 pips and another that won 50 pips -- you couldn't say which was the better performer.  But, if I had one strategy that won $10 and a second that won $50, it's pretty clear you'd chose the latter.  Also, I like using the Return/DD metric -- I find that better than the the Win Ratio -- and I need to use $ to calculate that.

Regarding timestamps for each trade -- yes, it could be added.  The main trade-off here is it would greatly increase the memory footprint of the app, and the benefit isn't clear to me.  When you have hundreds of EAs, each with dozens of trades, then there is a lot more data to store.  The chart generated by MT4's detailed report uses 'Trade #' along the x-axis -- and that used to frustrate me because I, like you, want to see time along the x-axis.  But for purposes of monitoring a portfolio and making decisions about poor-performers, I don't think it really matters.  I may be wrong -- but I doubt it would change the results.  And since it is simpler to use Trade #'s then I decided to follow in the spirit of MT4's way of doing things.

I appreciate your feedback and comments.  Don't be discouraged if I put a damper on these two.  Popov's software makes Forex much more interesting and opens up more opportunities for developing tools to take advantage of EA portfolios.  I intend to continue adding to MT4 Tracker as new features come to mind or are suggested.  I'm also working on an MT4 indicator to help manage portfolios.  As ideas come to you please feel comfortable to pass them along.

Hi Sleytus

Thanks for your reply.  I agree with all you say.  In the big scheme the cost of adding extra complexity won't bring much to the party.

Having used your app some more I am appreciating some of the features - just being able to sort the strats according to expectancy with one click, amongst other great features, is fantastic.  I have only just started to delve into the portfolio expert as I have tended to go for quality rather than quantity.  However forward testing is really the only final benchmark that matters before live trading, and the combination of Popov's expertise with Portfolio Expert and your app to quickly sort and prune those unsuccessful EAs makes the sorting quick and effective.  Although I will still be quite picky to delete those strats whose OOS equity curve has a different character to the in sample data, I shall not be as picky as before!  We all know that many backtestested strategies are curvefitted and show up as bad strategies when forward testing, but occasionally you get less than perfect backtested strategies that actually perform ok when forward tested. Your app makes this forward testing viable.

All the best

George

Hi Sleytus,
1. I think there is a little spelling fault in the header
2. I would wish to have the (before and after) balance somewhere written in numbers
See attached picture.
Thank you for this handy tool.

Post's attachments

m1.jpg 230.95 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

I did not add any strategies for a few days to the demo. it is up to 2100 trades now and I am thinking of doing  the pruning and opening a new demo. Then adding more strategies as I will be removing close to half of them.

I can certainly see the benefits of using the MT4 Tracker, it is a magnificent tool for my purpose.

If I use win loss of 75 to cull the bad guys, I reduce the number of strategies from 481 to 247, (almost half are bad guys) and I end up with win percent of 88.

I hesitate to do this because there is not enough trades in many cases... I have lots of strategies with 25 to 30 trades , I am wondering if I have to wait til I get many more before pruning...

I am thinking it may be preferable to the copies of the good ones and put them in another demo or a real account to see how they fare, and let them all keep trading, perhaps remove those with 100 percent losses..

I do not want to be continually generating more strategies.

What do others think?

Well, after some additional thinking, I am going to copy the best performers to a real account(small) and take a chance... lol

bru1 wrote:

I think there is a little spelling fault in the header

Good eyes -- thanks!!  That will be fixed in the next version.

Regarding BEFORE and AFTER balance -- they are displayed, but in the form of 'Gains' and 'Losses'.   I've attached an image.

Blaiserboy wrote:

If I use win loss of 75 to cull the bad guys, I reduce the number of strategies from 481 to 247

This is similar to what I'm seeing -- also using Win Percent of 75.  I also use Return / DD Ratio of 3, which is a bit more strict.  In the end the number of strategies is usually cut in half, roughly...

Blaiserboy wrote:

I have lots of strategies with 25 to 30 trades , I am wondering if I have to wait til I get many more before pruning...

A while back I bought into your advice to forego Demo accounts and instead use Live micro accounts -- and that is working well for me.  It's real money, but I now have more confidence that as I scale things up then there will be fewer surprises.  Also, since it is a Live account, then I don't want to wait for 25 or 30 or 100 trades to decide whether or not a strategy is a keeper.

The statistics provided by FSB Pro and EA Studio are very complete and provide a strong indication of how a strategy should perform.  Let's say the stats show a particular strategy to be a 80% winner.  But when you put it in a Demo or Live account it loses 3 out of the first 6 trades.  I'd say it is a loser and not worth pursuing because there is some sort of disconnect between the original stats and actual trading.  Certainly, over time, it might recover and perform up to its original expectations -- but since we have so many strategies to work with and because many of them *do* perform up to original expectations, then why spend time with the "late bloomers".

Everything is a trade-off -- for now, I'm erring on the side of pruning early (and possibly losing some late bloomers) in order to build-up portfolios of strategies that *do* perform according to EA Studio's original expectations.

And next week I may totally change my approach.  That's one of the beauties of Popov's software -- it opens up so many paths to explore and no one yet knows which is the best, or even if there is just one best.  I'm thinking as long as I stick with the program and use Popov's software the way he intended then I'm going to end up with profitable strategies -- and the only thing I really have control over is the degree of profitability.

Post's attachments

mt4tracker-before-after-balance.png 512.52 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

I think the micro account is a good idea....

Today I pruned aggressively and then opened a new demo.. In there is 185 strategies.

I think I will use that account as an 'incubator' and then place the successful candidates in a small real account next week or the week after, as soon as they have, say. 5 good trades.

I can see now that I should have used a larger position size when generating these, I am not sure what the damage will be when I try to change that.

Just wondering, if:

1. I prune a portfolio, do the magic numbers still refer to the original strategies, or are they given new numbers.  I assume they keep their identities otherwise it would be hard to keep track of which are still performing well or badly?

2. If there is only one decent strategy in a porfolio, and I wish to extract it and save it separately (for instance I might want to save it in a collection with a few other good ones of the same currency pair and timeframe, and then make a portfolio out of them), is there a way to do it?  I always save a collection before exporting the portfolio, so I have the strategies, but can I always assume the top strategy is Base + 000 and the next one down is Base +101 etc?   Is there not a chance they might be reordered if the sort criteria has changed?  Presumably the strategies won't recalculate when they are uploaded back into EA studio from a collection?  Any recalculation would possible re-order the strategies.

trader1234 wrote:

Just wondering, if:

1. Yes -- the magic numbers remain the same.  When MT4 Tracker "prunes" a portfolio *.mql file it substitutes an excluded strategy with a "dummy" strategy that never trades.

2. To do what you suggest is possible -- but it would require editing a *.mql file.  It is not really programming, but just careful cut / paste.  The strategies are ordered beginning with index '0' and go up to '99'.  So, MagicNumber 1005 is the 6th strategy in the list of 100 strategies.  Use a text editor to open the *.mql and it may become clearer.

If you resort a collection and then re-export it then, yes, of course, the order would be different in the newly exported *.mqh file.  I suppose you could later manually re-edit the new *.mqh file so the order of the strategies is the same as before.  Wouldn't be difficult, just tedious...

Thank you so much for explaining all this to me.   It all makes sense now. 

All the best, G