51 (edited by GD 2017-06-29 07:38:32)

Re: MT4 Tracker -- new tool for monitoring & pruning EA portfolio

Hi sleytus

Thanks for your answers.
Could you check please the statement I uploaded in previous post Number 49? It has magic numbers.
It gives me error.

Finally what fields need to see your software to have in html statement to work?
I think this information should be added in your manual.

GD wrote:

Could you check please the statement I uploaded in previous post Number 49? It has magic numbers.
It gives me error.

As I mentioned in previous messages -- a Magic Number must be associated with *ALL* trades.  The purpose of the application is to manage a portfolio of strategies, where each strategy has a unique Magic Number.  If your trades do not include a Magic Number then you do not need MT4 Tracker -- since there would be nothing for it to manage.

You do not need to make any changes to the MT4 *.htm Report file.  MT4 Tracker can read the default *.htm Report file created by Metatrader 4.  In fact, even if you wanted to make changes to the fields you couldn't.  The reason why your *.htm Report file is failing is because many of the trades do not have a Magic Number.  It has nothing to do with missing fields.

If you want to see how MT4 Tracker works there is a sample *.htm Report in the 'DataFolder' under the installation directory.  The name of the sample Report file is 'example-DetailedStatement.htm'.

Sorry -- I don't know how else to explain it.

I  am having some good progress, maybe I should say great progress with this tool. My ego was sorta hammered as I had to prune most of my strategies. lol

Today the R says 1 as a value.....  Is that the ideal?

Sorry that I am so out to lunch re math concepts.

Please outline the acceptable range for R.... I am sure that there is no way to have a perfect score on an ongoing basis.

Thanks

daveM

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

Blaiserboy wrote:

Please outline the acceptable range for R

Here's a link I found helpful -- not too technical:
http://blog.minitab.com/blog/adventures … ess-of-fit

The way I'm using R is comparing the 'Before' and 'After' -- that is, I want the 'After' to be larger and closer to 1 than the 'Before'.  Also, visually, I'm looking to see how close a chart approximates a straight line.  So, a good portion of it is subjective.  In my limited experience, I'd say I'm looking for something > 0.85.

Another thing -- and I was thinking about starting another thread to learn more from you and other experienced traders -- is to question how important people think "linearity" is.  I mean, to me, linearity is important because it goes part way toward predicting the future -- better than a chart that exhibits a more complex pattern.  In other words, I would choose a linear portfolio over one that had a higher net profit but non-linear performance.  And I'm curious what others think and why.

Continuing with "linearity"...

I can't really articulate it, but it seems that linearity is related to "robustness".  And since everyone agrees that robustness is important, then it follows that linearity would also be important.  Hence, that's where the R-Squared value comes in.

It seems to me that win/loss would be more preferable than Net Income.... I relate that to sustainability.

I like your reasoning regarding linearity although I do not have the knowledge to really comment.

The slope seems to be important..... whether it be above a moving average or just a line as in FSBPro portfolio or as portaryed in the MT4 Tracker software.

In the past 13  or 14 hours, I am 545 pips positive closed..... and I have a goal that is much higher than that.. I feel that I have to use win/loss in the Tracker to weed out the poor performers to get to my goal.

I have not had much luck generating strategies with 75 percent win rate using EA Studio, however when I use the 75% win rate as a filter in Tracker I get fairly good results with the other metrics and the linearity seems pretty good.

My thinking is that we are going to have to accumulate a lot of experience to be able to select a 'best' metric or a best two metrics. At this point I can not point to anything to say what I feel to be best or super best.

We have to watch for the dips in the lines.... and what we have does a nice job of showing those.

In the past 13  or 14 hours, I am 545 pips positive closed

Nice, I was the opposite on live account, lol. A good learning process none the less.

I am still having difficulty loading the data into MT4 tracker.

What are the advantages to using MT4 tracker over such a service as FX Blue? (just curious)

"Robustness is a mustness" - jimmy

jimmydaytrades wrote:

I am still having difficulty loading the data into MT4 tracker

Could you attach your *.htm Report file -- I'd like to figure out what the problem is.

jimmydaytrades wrote:

What are the advantages to using MT4 tracker over such a service as FX Blue?

There are a few I can think of...
1. It can "prune" (i.e. remove) poor performing strategies from an EA Studio-generated Portfolio Expert.  That is, it can parse the *.mq4 file and remove the poor performers.  Try doing that by hand...
2. It can manage 100's of MagicNumbers -- try doing that with FX Blue...
3. It doesn't require an indicator or access to your account -- i.e. does not require your account credentials.
4. I have multiple accounts -- both demo and live -- and I haven't figured out how to manage them all with FX Blue or MyFxBook.
5. It allows you to perform "Before" and "After" tests -- that is, compare what your balance chart would have looked like if certain strategies had been removed.  That is, it gives you a tool to further refine your Portfolio that may have dozens or hundreds of strategies.

a fast Answer for that.

It is very cool, fast and komfortable. The best, that i have see in many Years. Fxblue is good, but MT4 Tracker is the Best!

I started to use FxBlue and thought it was great....  but it is clunky compared to Tracker when managing a lot of strategies and EA's

Each application has benefits, however,m I am using only Tracker at this time as it is so fast to find the poor performers.

I use the win/loss filter and then check the linearity..... my approach may not be very sophisticated but it is giving me the results.

hi,
How does your MT4 Tracker draws portfolio balance chart? Because I can see big difference with mt4 statement. Seems that trades order is mixed.

https://image.prntscr.com/image/PXnRSLukSgGzKRT04s1G3A.png

Irmantas wrote:

...Seems that trades order is mixed.

http://nansupport.com/images/TrackerFX/compare-report-charts.png

I agree -- the difference in your report charts definitely look odd.  The above image compares one of my recent reports -- and the chart created by MT4 Tracker is similar (if not identical) to the one created by MetaTrader.

Could you send me your Report *.htm file along with a screen shot that shows the corresponding chart and statistics computed by MetaTrader.  I will take a look to see if I can figure out the problem.

Could you tell me what version of the program you are using -- under 'Help / About'.  Also, could you download the latest version of the program from here and give that a try:
http://nutsaboutnets-downloads.s3.amazonaws.com/MT4Tracker_Setup.exe

I continue to enhance the application and have been uploading new versions from time-to-time.  However, I don't recall there being a charting bug that would cause what you are seeing.

63 (edited by Irmantas 2017-07-04 12:11:05)

Just update version from your link. Same stuff. Also I get error while pressing on Linearity tab. Maybe I have something wrong in my PC.

https://image.prntscr.com/image/WQeTKJjQTtShcCfkGA-Q_A.png

Mt4 statement attached.

Post's attachments

DetailedStatement.htm 525.47 kb, 5 downloads since 2017-07-04 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Irmantas wrote:

Also I get error while pressing on Linearity tab

Thanks for sending your Report file.  You are not doing anything wrong -- the problem is at my end.

1. Regarding the chart, the reason why they look different is because the current version of MT4 assumes the most current closing times are at the top and the oldest are at the bottom.  That's the default for my installations and I didn't realize it would be different for others.  I will fix that.  For now, if you reverse the order by clicking on the 'Time' header for Closing prices before creating the report then I think MT4 Tracker will create a chart that looks the same as MetaTrader.

2. Regarding the crash -- this is because you haven't yet excluded any strategies.  For now you can press 'Continue' and it will continue to work.  Once you've selected one or more strategies to Exclude then that crash won't occur.  I will fix that also.

Irmantas -- thanks for your help in finding the bugs and letting me know.  I will fix the problems shortly and post another message to let you know when a new version is ready.

sleytus wrote:
Irmantas wrote:

Also I get error while pressing on Linearity tab

Thanks for sending your Report file.  You are not doing anything wrong -- the problem is at my end.

1. Regarding the chart, the reason why they look different is because the current version of MT4 assumes the most current closing times are at the top and the oldest are at the bottom.  That's the default for my installations and I didn't realize it would be different for others.  I will fix that.  For now, if you reverse the order by clicking on the 'Time' header for Closing prices before creating the report then I think MT4 Tracker will create a chart that looks the same as MetaTrader.

2. Regarding the crash -- this is because you haven't yet excluded any strategies.  For now you can press 'Continue' and it will continue to work.  Once you've selected one or more strategies to Exclude then that crash won't occur.  I will fix that also.

Irmantas -- thanks for your help in finding the bugs and letting me know.  I will fix the problems shortly and post another message to let you know when a new version is ready.

This Problem is only for Chart Picture? It is no Problem with Strategy show good or bad, when i click on single Magic?

Thank you! Problem solved smile

There is a new version of MT4 Tracker -- here is the link:
http://nutsaboutnets-downloads.s3.amazonaws.com/MT4Tracker_Setup.exe

Much thanks to Irmantas for discovering a *very* serious bug -- which is fixed in the latest version.  The bug was that I assumed all records are sorted according to Closing Time -- with the most recent time stamp at the top of the *.htm Report and the oldest at the bottom.  This is the way my accounts work and I did not realize the records in the *.htm could be sorted in a variety of different ways, depending on whether you clicked one of the headers at the top of Account History's table.  The consequence of the bug is that if your *.htm Report was not sorted like mine, then all the statistics and charts would be wrong.

Blaiserboy, rantampla -- I checked the sorting of the *.htm Report files you sent to me earlier and I regret to say MT4 Tracker mishandled them.  You can not trust the stats.

The best (perhaps only) way to verify the *.htm Report is correctly read and processed is to compare MT4 Tracker's "BEFORE" chart with the chart MetaTrader creates with its detailed report.

I sincerely apologize for wasting your time (hopefully no $$).  I've found the tool most helpful in identifying poor performers in my portfolio of EAs and when these are excluded then the results can be quite dramatic.  And I just wanted to share the tool so others could reap even greater rewards using Popov's amazing software.

I still have faith in the tool and wouldn't discourage anyone from giving it a try -- but it is still a work in progress and keep in mind the only testing I've been able to do is using my own reports (and a handful that others have shared).  So, don't bet the family fortune on the results.

Irmantas -- again, thank you for finding this serious problem and letting me know.

I think the software is great!
I made a mistake in restarting the demo account. so I lost a lot of good trades.....
Now I am keeping the demo account but the bad trades that have been pruned are still there...... maybe that is a good thing as I struggle to get the numbers to improve.
I am starting to see that some of my strategies are excellent but it will take quite a while to get enough trades to be able to judge the viability of many.
I am really pleased with the software.  Thank you.

Hi sleytus,
I just saw this new feature MT4 Tracker and first of all I thank you for your free Software and support for us.
This is exactly doing immediately what I up to now did in an timeconsuming way by using excel. But I still have some problems:
1. I also get the parsing error: The computedPL (173046) does not equal the ClosedPL(0). I have added an example and ask to check it.
2. I also have an mixed accout where EA's and manual trades (without magic number) are running. Is it true that MT4 Tracker only works if ALL trades have a magic number, or can it just ignore those without magic numbers?
3. Since long time I am frustrated with the MT4-Report format because it puts the magic number and the comment in a new row and formats columns together so that I always need to make tricks before I can use it in excel. I am looking for a script for a "one line report". Could this also be used for MT$-Tracker or does it need to be the "original mt4 report"?
Thank you again for your efforts

Post's attachments

testStatement_29.06-01.07.htm 72.81 kb, 12 downloads since 2017-07-07 

70 (edited by Popov 2017-07-10 08:15:06)

bru1 wrote:

Answers to your questions...

1. I've fixed the parsing error -- here is a link to the updated installation program:

MT4Tracker_Setup.exe

The parsing problem was caused by the way the *.htm Report expresses numerical values greater than 999 -- for example, "1899" is reported as "1 899" -- that is, with a space character between the 1 and 8.  This is what broke the parsing, but is now fixed.

2. Previously MT4 Tracker only worked with *.htm Report files where every ticket was associated with a Magic Number -- and this was by design.  But, now I think there is no harm in making it more general -- so, this latest version supports accounts where there is a mix of tickets with / without Magic Numbers.  If a ticket does not have an associated Magic Number, then it is assigned Magic Number '0'.

3. Parsing is very dependent on the format of the input file -- so, yes, it really must be the original MT4 *.htm Report file.

Thanks for uploading you *.htm Report file -- it helped to find and fix the parsing problem.

Once again -- MT4 Tracker is still a work in progress.  It has been tested using *.htm Report files from my accounts and a few others that have been shared in this forum.  As the program matures and as I use it with my accounts then I gain more confidence in the results.  However, be very observant and make sure the results it reports are consistent with your expectations.  If you have any questions don't hesitate to post them here and I will try to answer them.  Also, if your *.htm Report is not properly read / analyzed please upload it so I can better figure out where the problem might be.

Hi sleytus,
thank you for the fast help.
It works and also takes mixed accounts.
I still have problems with using MT4-Report in excel (point3) but this has nothing to do with your Software and I will put it into another thread.

One more Question/Suggestion:
Additional to the magic number I use for the EA's free choosen "speaking" names in "Custom order Comment" (e.g.: eu_5m_od1s_6) which are shown in the report in the "comment"-column. I would find it helpful if the MT4-Tracker would show this names, e.g in a seperate column additional to the magic numbers

bru1 wrote:

It works and also takes mixed accounts.

I'm glad it is working -- thanks for letting me know.

bru1 wrote:

it helpful if the MT4-Tracker would show this names, e.g in a seperate column

Thanks for the suggestion -- I will consider it.  However, there is a problem.  That column could take up a lot of space and it might make the chart on the right too small on some displays.

Hi, working with MT4-Tracker I get a bit confused with the scales. I dont mind the $-sign (my account is in Euro) but the numbers are shown with factor 100. See statement and screenshot attached.

Post's attachments

23.5.-24-5-Statement.htm 21.91 kb, 11 downloads since 2017-07-11 

Screenshots:

Post's attachments

1.jpg 31.59 kb, file has never been downloaded.