Topic: why is this condition "NO"?

I have a strategy that I have been struggling to get to match what I believe should be the entries if traded manually.

I checked everything and found that the problem seems to be with the simple opening condition "The moving average rises" which I have assumed simply means is the moving average at the close of one bar higher than the moving average at the close of the previous bar.

Would someone please assist me in understanding why a rise in the moving average from one bar to the other is not being shown as Long entry "yes"'.

I removed all other conditions from the strategy to make sure I was not misinterpreting.

For example I have 4 one minute bars (an Index)  that have values as follows and decision on long entry
04:50 - 4833.69 (no)
04:51 - 4833.82 (no)
04:52 - 4834.03 (no)
04:53 - 4834.32 (yes)

The code for the condition is as follows and I am using a base price set at close:

[Opening Logic Condition]
Moving Average
     [ A ]   The Moving Average rises
     Smoothing method  -  Weighted
     Base price  -  Close
     Period  -  21
     Shift  -  0
     Use previous bar value  -  No

I must be doing something wrong but I do not currently understand, your help would be greatly appreciated
thanks
Dave

Re: why is this condition "NO"?

Hi Dave,

dave88 wrote:

For example I have 4 one minute bars (an Index)  that have values as follows and decision on long entry

Firstly lets make one thing clear - are you talking about bar values or moving average values for corresponding bars?

thanks for the help, I have listed the moving average values that correspond to the respective bars

these moving ave values are rising from one bar to the next yet the condition "moving average rises" is not being satisfied at bars 2 and 3

I have a question about those 4 bars, are they first, middle or last bars on chart?

One reason could be that the change in those values isn't enough for triggering the signal, so what if you increase the number of digits, and check those bars again.

You were correct as usual: THANK YOU!!

Because I was dealing with data relating to the Australian Share Price Index, I had set digits at 0 and the Moving Ave rises condition was not triggering until the MA increased a whole number, in this case 4833 to 4834

I have changed the number of digits to 2 and adjusted other market factors (spread,  stop losses etc) accordingly and the moving average rises condition NOW triggers for the bar values I posted in the manner you would logically expect.

(Also the bars I listed in my post were just a random selection of 4 bars in the middle of a data set where I could visually see that the Moving Ave was rising)

thanks again!!

Don't mention it, glad to help out!