Topic: Another 2 months testing - this time 15 minute

http://screencast.com/t/qZs8X5UD

In November I started testing 15 minutes strategies and they are even worse than 1 min (because of ridiculously high SL allowed, so there were no SL mostly). As you can see there is 1 profitable strategy, maybe 2, if the orange will not go below zero.

Now it is time to test 5 minutes strategies and we will see in 2 months how they will go....Hopefully 5 minutes will allow for more reasonable SL.

Re: Another 2 months testing - this time 15 minute

I also forward testing my strategies in demo account. I have got many strategies to be profitable on Demo account: See the Profit Factor column.

http://s2.postimage.org/1364d8pr8/testingfx.jpg

I have experienced that good backtecting results will not quarantee successful forward testing results. Second important point is realated to the real trading. I have seen that  successful forward testing strategies will fail in real account. Success in demo account is not applicable in real account trading. This is what I don't understand.

I have started testing 1h and 4h strategies.

Maybe the forex is waste of time.

Archaryadas - what is the software you use in the screenshot?

krog wrote:

seems to be myfxbook.com

footon wrote:
krog wrote:

seems to be myfxbook.com

Yes

zenoni wrote:

I also forward testing my strategies in demo account. I have got many strategies to be profitable on Demo account: See the Profit Factor column.

I have experienced that good backtecting results will not quarantee successful forward testing results. Second important point is realated to the real trading. I have seen that  successful forward testing strategies will fail in real account. Success in demo account is not applicable in real account trading. This is what I don't understand.

Maybe automatic trading and forex don't go together...

acharyadas wrote:
zenoni wrote:

Maybe automatic trading and forex don't go together...

With 5 min I will try to use microlots instead of standard lots.

I'm using smallest 0.01 lot per position. In backtesting I also use 1 pip (10 in 5 digit broker) slippage to get more reliable results.

Hi  ZENONI i see that you are runing 31 diferent strategeis at one time. My question is do you use VPS surver or you are runnig the FST on you own computer. Becausе i use VPS the biggest plan is whit 3 GB RAM,  but there is not enught RAM to run 31 copies of FST? I use FSB on demo and i pay every month 115 USD for VPS hosting and it is too much for me. How did you dedicade this problem?
Best regards.

Currenty I am running 23 different demo strategies. The list is larger because I eliminate strategies that have more than 10 trades with profit factor lower than 0,5.

I'm using small energy efficient PC-s with 2 GB of RAM. http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=Xqg63iYgWDyHTInv This PC can run up to 12-13 instances of FST.

One PC is intended to run real strategies and second PC is for forward testing of new strategies. Currently I demo trade the strategies until I see at least 100 trades with profit factor 1,5. Then I tray to run it on real account.

zezo wrote:

Hi  ZENONI i see that you are runing 31 diferent strategeis at one time. My question is do you use VPS surver or you are runnig the FST on you own computer. Becausе i use VPS the biggest plan is whit 3 GB RAM,  but there is not enught RAM to run 31 copies of FST? I use FSB on demo and i pay every month 115 USD for VPS hosting and it is too much for me. How did you dedicade this problem?
Best regards.

I understand  i must start copies of FST on my own computer and to solve problems whit permanent internet connection  and electrical power. Every stop trading can bring me big losses when i trade real. roll
What do you mean "100 trades with profit factor 1,5." - How did you calculate profit factor?
For minimum 100 trades I calculate it: Wining trades/all trades > 60% when all trades are  whit SL = TP. Then i am sure that I don't  trade by chance.

To overcome internet connection problems I am using permanent stop loss for each strategy. This must be my final incuranse against every kind of craches. My internet connection is quite stable, minor connection instabilities will not harm the trading. i don't overleverage and I'm using only micro lots for my small account.

If you see the picture then you will notice the profit factor column. I believe that forward testing of the strategy is completed when there are at least 100 total trades and the profit factor is at least 1,5. There are many ways to investigate profit factor, but I use http://www.mt4i.com method.

e.g.

Strategu XX
Trades - 36
gross profit - 91,38
gross loss -26,62
net profit - 64,76
profit factor - 3.43

zezo wrote:

I understand  i must start copies of FST on my own computer and to solve problems whit permanent internet connection  and electrical power. Every stop trading can bring me big losses when i trade real. roll
What do you mean "100 trades with profit factor 1,5." - How did you calculate profit factor?
For minimum 100 trades I calculate it: Wining trades/all trades > 60% when all trades are  whit SL = TP. Then i am sure that I don't  trade by chance.