Topic: Wow strategy

One guy in Forexfactory posted this strategy and all I can say is WOW. Universally profitable. Genius!

http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt229/Haridas100/th_wow-amaze.png

Post's attachments

AmazeStrategies.zip 7.2 kb, 197 downloads since 2010-07-03 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Wow strategy

Pls upload your custom indicators as well. Its asking for Bar range bands.

Dear acharyadas
Really a good strategy but are these results reliable when not using previous bar value!!!!!

IndianForexTrader wrote:

Pls upload your custom indicators as well. Its asking for Bar range bands.

Here they are.

Post's attachments

Custom Indicators.zip 351.32 kb, 151 downloads since 2010-07-04 

ahmedalhoseny wrote:

Dear acharyadas
Really a good strategy but are these results reliable when not using previous bar value!!!!!

Only time will tell. We will see in this week on the contest.

Bar range bands is still missing

jakadinho wrote:

Bar range bands is still missing

Sorry about it here they are again.

Post's attachments

completeCustom Indicators.zip 353.14 kb, 190 downloads since 2010-07-04 

Amazing, really big thanks for this amazing strategy. So far I can´t see any flaw with it. Everything is using previous bar values and even the "Price Move" can be replaced with "Bar Opening" which makes it even more reliable in backtesting. And it looks great with "Bar Opening" as well!

Try it with EURUSD 15 Minutes instead of 5 Minutes and do a little optimization. It´s almost a straight line!

I´ve spent the last hours backtesting and I can get a almost linear equity curve with like 200000 Euro Net Profit in 4 months. That doesn´t look to be real and I guess the Bar Range Bands indicator is wrongly coded to use current bar close, even when Use Previous Bar is checked. Someone might want to take a look into the indicator.

Has anyone done live-testing yet?

10 (edited by NicholasK 2010-07-05 08:39:58)

Ya, I agree with you, geektrader.

Currently I'm testing using FST & MT4 demo account. At the same time I'm importing the data to FSB & check.
But as you said, I also cannot get the same result. Signal point is different from FSB & real time.
I feel that Bar Range Bands is not using the previous bar value.

I'm not sure how to use Bar Range Bands actually... sad

Dear all
i spent all night try to find what is wrong in that strategy but couldnot But i will share some findings

1- any strategy will work at any of currency pairs with profit !!!!!

2- the Price move =1 is so strange for me  and even if i changed to price move down =1 it gives more or less the same results BUT if i removed that 1 pip price move from strategy it turns to a huge losses

3- I test it for 1 hr and 4 Hr time frame with the same setting except changing the price move and i found and both time frames gives profits until the price move exceed 10 pips  for both time frames!!!!!!!!

4- The last Point : That indicator coded by whom???????

and for acharyadas may yoy provide us the link in forex factory that discuss that strategy

Attached here the same strategy without entry time  smile !!!!!!
Regards

Post's attachments

the Waw Strategy OPt for 1h and 4 Hr .xml 5.83 kb, 67 downloads since 2010-07-05 

using the bar bands indicator alone Gives More win trades smile So why complicate issues wit other indicators!!!

What is the Logic ( Rules ) of that idicator if any one know ??

http://s2.postimage.org/nIXXr.jpg

Post's attachments

Another Strategy with Bar Range indicators.xml 4.32 kb, 82 downloads since 2010-07-05 

Put this strategy for 2-3 weeks forward test to see the real results. According to my experiences, you may get perfect backtest results with perfect logic that will fail on real world trading.

I always use 1-1.5 pip slippage as a default parameter to avoid too unrealistic results.

14 (edited by NicholasK 2010-07-05 13:23:03)

My report again...
This strategy does NOT work.
I found that signal point on backtester (FSB) & signal maker (FST) are totally different.
If FST is functioning properly, then the strategy itself has problem.
I wish new version of FSB can detect & avoid this type of strategy.

See this post http://www.forexfactory.com/showthread. … amp;page=4, in post 50, the user "Spook" uses exactly this strategy and says it has been profitable the last week for him. I am really wondering though if he can back it up. Someone should post there.

I think the indicator is simply coded wrong to NOT use previous bar value even if the box is checked. You can try, use Entry Point "Bar Opening" then control the Use Previous Bar variable manually by disabling auto-control. Once you´ve done so, you can now manually enable and disable the "use previous bar"-box of the Bar Range Bands indicator and it makes no difference if you check it or if you don´t check it. But actually it should make a difference. I guess the author has implemented this wrong and it always uses the close of the current bar, which in live-trading is not known until the bar closes, but it is in backtesting. And hence the straight equity lines with dream-profits.

Also, if you use Entry Point "Bar Closing", you can´t get the Bar Range Bands to create any profitable strategy, because with this method it IS forced to use the closing of the previous bar and now it doesn´t work anymore then:(

Would have been to good to be true.

17 (edited by krog 2010-07-05 22:07:40)

I posted this indicator. Looking at the results, if you use as enter at Bar Opening with price basis = Close, I think it is safe to assume the indicator has a bug for getting a signal at the close of the bar then entering the position at the opening of the bar, which would be impossible and cause FSTrader and FSBuilder backtests not to match. Please remove this indicator from your Custom Indicators and strategies, and pass on the word it's broken and should not be used. I'll take down my post of it, and in future I will leave indicator coding to more knowledgeable posters.
I posted it, and it's difficult to think of and check all use cases. I agree with NicholasK, it would be great if FSB could detect this type of error, or have someone check posted indicators, or some kind of QA basic test package for custom indicators.

Dear krog,
People are not blaming you. I'm sorry if some of my expression would be offensive.  Now I don't think it is your indicator problem, because I found another "wow strategy" without using Bar Range Bands & Price Move. So please help us especially those who don't have ability of coding like me.  smile
I think there is something wrong in FSB system itself.

I wish people here can check it together.
Here is an example.

<GBP/JPY 5min>
Strategy Properties
   Same direction signal - Add
   Opposite direction signal - Nothing
   Permanent Stop Loss - None
   Permanent Take Profit - None

Opening Point of the Position
   Previous High Low
   Enter long at the previous high
   Base price - High and Low
   Vertical shift - 0

Closing Point of the Position
   Bar Closing
   Exit the market at the end of the bar
   Base price - Close

Closing Logic Condition
   On Balance Volume (HTF v4)
   The On Balance Volume falls
   Higher Time Frame Reference - 1 Hour
   Use previous bar value - No

And the result is same like the strategy mentioned above.
Number of bars 5627 then account balance is 31956.00USD with very beautiful curve on equity chart.

If you change the opening point to Price Move (1), then account balance is 34201.
                                                        Ross Hook, then 18015.
                                                        Heikin Ashi HA high, then 30623... and so on...

I believe this type of strategy does NOT work on real trading unfortunately.
I wish FSB admin can find out why this can occur in backtester & cannot occur in real trading.  smile

19 (edited by krog 2010-07-07 03:44:31)

Hi NicholasK,
No offense taken, you are absolutely correct. Actually, I was expecting a bunch of angry posts, and usually upfront humility helps mitigate that  big_smile . Good to know FSB community is more interested in  solving the problem. I agree with your recommendation for some way (FSB or community process) to catch this type of bug because it is a problem that anyone can post an indicator, but other users have no way to know how much it's been tested. Geektrader is right, I implented "previous bar" incorrectly, so it's based on the close which is not known until the end. For now, it's not a bug in FSB, rather it's up to the coder to implement this correctly.

I can illustrate the Bar Range Bands bug, this is a general bug that could happen with any newly posted indicator. Thanks to footon for helping me figure it out on another indicator I posted. If your strategy demonstrates some "too good to be true" results, this is one of the things to look for. Best to look for an entry on a long bar, it will be more visible.

http://s3.postimage.org/6JU6J.jpg

When your strategy is set to Bar Opening, FSB will enter at the opening of the bar. If the indicator's Base Price is set to Close (or high or low), the bar's close triggers the signal. The screenshot shows this -- the close of the bar triggers the signal, then FSB goes back in time to enter at the opening of the bar. Since I've got the exit as at Bar Closing, you can see it would almost always be a winning trade. Further, since FST cannot go back in time like FSB, you will see a mismatch between the trades.

What should happen is the signal at the close of bar 13:15 should cause FSB to enter at the open of 13:20, not the open of 13:15 (the same bar as the closing signal). That is what "Use previous" tick box will check for, which Bar Range Bands unfortunately does not implement correctly.

I'll take a look at the next wow strategy you've got for GBP/JPY. You mention changing the entry conditions, what about changing the exit condition? I'll take a look, see if I can offer some ideas to test and verify.

20 (edited by krog 2010-07-08 16:52:43)

From the original post (http://forexsb.com/forum/topic/1372/new … et/page/2/):

zuijaideai wrote:

Attached are the most important indicators for HTF indicators set:

- HTF Bar Opening Indicators
- HTF Bar Closing Indicators

These two indicators must be used in pairs with others HTF indicators, because it will filter out the entry/exit signal in the opening and closing of HTF bars. Otherwise the wrong entry or exit signal might be generated if not using this indicator.

The sample strategy posted uses HTF for exit signal, but does not use the HTF Bar Closing Indicator. However, I was not able to combine HTF Bar Closing with HTF Moving Average; it only allows one or the other.

Further post:

zuijaideai wrote:

The major issue that we have now on FSB: There is limitation on the exit panel to use the Bar Closing indicator only. Bar Closing (HTF v4) is not recognized yet as essential indicator in FSB. So I do hope Popov can remove this limitation.

I suppose it's possible the HTF indicators are not yet ready for closing signals, but that's only a guess.

The issue I guess you see now is the repainting issue. As new bars on your lower time frame appear, the HTF indicator draws to that value. Then the next one comes, and the HTF indicator repaints itself to include the new lower time frame data bar. But FSB only sees the HTF indicator value at the end of the higher time frame interval. So, there is a high probability FST is working with several different HTF indicator values over that period, where FSB sees and works with only the ending HTF indicator value.

If you are using FST, do you see the HTF line (ex.,  on a 5 minute chart, use Moving Average HTF at 1 hour, with Period=1) go up and down with each new bar? If so, this might support my theory.

Hopefully zuijaideai is available to offer some guidance, he might be more familiar with these indicators.

Yes. It's quite important for us to find out bugs & problems together & improve FSB & FST  smile

I wonder it"ll be nice if FSB can be connected to MT4 & take in the real time data. Then we can check the strategy more conveniently.
Or, FST has kind of "signal maker mode" just to make the signal & doesn't order automatically, so that we don't have to do demo trading.
Then we can check our strategy can work on the real trading or not.