forex software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

forex software

Skip to forum content

Forex Software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forex Software → Technical Matters → Computer Crashed, now EA Studio in Chrome forgets previous values

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

Topic: Computer Crashed, now EA Studio in Chrome forgets previous values

Computer Crashed, now EA Studio in Chrome forgets previous values

Has anybody had this problem and figured out the solution?

My computer was running many instances of EA Studio using the Google Chrome browser, when the computer suddenly re-started (and lost all of the work of each of those instances).

Trying to resolve the problem, I've uninstalled Chrome and deleted data, then (without a re-boot) re-installed Chrome, but the problem persists.  Since the crash, I go back to the EA Studio page, it will now log me in, but presents me with a fresh request to confirm agreement..., and other values are back to default values (I think).

I have not yet looked through the registry.  Maybe the problem is there?

(Using Firefox, EA Studio remembers previous values.)

Lacking the solution, I may resort to trying to use a Windows 10 restore point.

Thanks for any help, insight or clues.

Re: Computer Crashed, now EA Studio in Chrome forgets previous values

I think, that if you have several instances of the browser open  at the time it closes.... only one will be remembered when you restart unless you have a way to set the different instances to save.

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

Yes, I understand that, but none of them, nor any subsequent sessions remember the previous session values.

4 (edited by ViniQ 2019-06-25 20:49:36)

Hello Dunn,

All user settings and config are saved only at your machine (browser cache - local storage). Until this day we don't have an automatic backup of the collection or settings of the users project.

I highly recommend you every time you start a project go to: Tools>Settings>Settings Management and Export Settings;

It's the user duty to keep the track of the collections, settings and organize everything at your own folder structure.
Organization/Backup is the key to keep track of all the data generated by the software and avoid problems even when a crash occurs.

I'm sure it's this is an isolated case, if the problem persists even with another browser, contact us at info@forexsb.com or vinicius@forexsb.com to investigate further what may be the cause.

Wish you all the best!

Vinicius Pereira, Portuguese Support.
Improve your trading with my strategies & signals on MQL5. High success rate & many followers. Check them out & join my EAS telegram group for updates.

That's tough. I've experienced similar problem once, it affected ALL browsing. For me the culprit was anti-virus, nothing helped except format C: . Every browser failed to work properly.

Restore point is worth a try. How sure you are that the deletion of Chrome was a complete uninstall? Usually some setting files and what not are left behind and if those are corrupted, then re-install solves nothing.

Thank you, yes, I understand that the user settings are normally saved from the last closed session, as Mr. Popov has written, and as I have previously observed. 

The problem since my last computer crash, is that that doesn't happen now.  All values seem to be reset to EA Studio defaults every new Chrome browser session. (Using lawlietfox, user settings are retained from a previous session as intended, but it is far too slow for many instances.)

It's the browser's fault, not Studio's, yep.

I looked into it a bit. Did you delete the hidden folder? It stores the user data and most probably affects the new installation.

Mr. footon, thanks for sharing your experience.  Sorry to hear the extent of your problem and the solution you were forced into.

Regarding how thorough was my Chrome uninstall, I'm not 100% sure.  I did go looking for lingering files in the User and Programs directories, but there were no files, just a few empty directories. I was initially trying to fix it fast.

I guess my effort (before a restore attempt) will be a little more thorough and including manual Registry cleaning. the plan: Uninstall Chrome, search for and delete lingering files, search the Registry and delete perhaps all/most references to Chrome, reboot computer , then re-install Chrome, then see if the problem is gone. (Mean while I am running many instances using Lawlietfox, but it performs very poorly with many instances.)

If not, I guess I will try an earlier Windows restore point.

Delete the hidden folder?  No.  What hidden folder??!! :-)  Google, here I come...  Thanks.

I'll drop you these 2 links, pretty good info (I wish I had known this earlier wink )

https://www.repairwin.com/how-to-uninst … -computer/

https://forums.tomsguide.com/threads/ho … 00.394766/

If it's not much trouble, drop a line if you get it sorted.

Update: not fixed yet.

I did a more careful un-install. I searched the Registry, but did not see anything that looked like a problem, so did not delete anything. Re-installed Chrome. Problem remained.

I did a system restore from before the PC crash, successfully, but the problem remained.

Unless anyone has any ideas, or until I figure it out, I guess I will have to try other browsers, because it seems like too much of an inconvenience managing 20 browser instances.

ViniQ has expressed in a much better way what I was thinking.......... My remedy is to download collections as the hours pass, also the settings once in a while.

I have been caught more than once with this dilemma. FSBPro is similar when there is a power outage.

I just try to keep it simple and make physical notes of things that are important.

As the project evolves, there will likely be a way to handle these problems, for today we have to be saving our work periodically.

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

Thank you, but that is not my primary concern here, and yes I do understand about saving Collection snapshots in order to have strategies saved in my growing library that might disappear otherwise in several ways. :-) 

It it the new Chrome browser session not using the settings from the last closed browser session, as intended and programmed.

Hello Dunn,

I just checked my Chrome update: Version 75.0.3770.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)
and found EA Studio works fine.

It must be some local problem. Please open the console (The three dots at the right side of the nav bar -> More tools -> Developer tools and then Console). It must be no errors there.
If you see any errors, they must be from some browser extension. In that case, please open EA Studio from here: https://expert-advisor-studio.com/ in a  "Guest window" or "Incognito mode". It must be no extension there and no errors.

Do something in EA Studio and reload. It must save the settings in the Local storage:

https://image-holder.forexsb.com/store/ea-studio-local-storage-thumb.png

Please do that only for a test because the "Guest window" and the "incognito mode" save the settings only temporary during the current session.

15 (edited by Dunn 2019-06-26 04:02:29)

Hi Mr. Popov,

Thank you for helping.

Yes, it seems to be a local Chrome problem.  It didn't exist before my PC crash, but afterwards it did.  Other non-Chrome-based browsers work fine and retain the settings from the previous session on my PC.

The Chrome Developer Tools Console shows nothing. No error.

I loaded my saved settings from a file, close Chrome, re-opened Chrome, then viewed Developer Tools Application tab, and mine looks very different from yours. It only has a eaStudio-user entry key, with a value of a string including my e-mail, which makes sense with what I am experiencing: my auto-logon is the only thing that is retained. None of those other ~16 keys and values appear in the Dev App tab.  Might this be the problem, and if so, how might I fix it?  Thank you.

This is not urgent, but I would like to get Chrome working properly again in the not too distant future.  As an workaround, I am currently using 18 instances of Opera to generate strategies, and initially it seems to be performing similarly to Chrome. (Edge and Firefox were not close to being acceptable on Windows 10 using multiple Virtual Desktops.)

See if that may help:

Chrome treats cookies and local storage as the same thing, so these steps work for both.

1. Click on the menu button in the top-right corner of your Chrome window.
Select “Settings” from that menu.
2. Click “Advanced”.
3. Privacy and Security section -> Click on the “Content settings…” button under the.
4. Click on “Cookies”.
5. Toggle on the setting for “Allow sites to save and read cookie data (recommended)”.
6. Toggle off the setting for “Block third-party cookies”.

Be sure forexsb.com is not "blocked'.

Something comes to my mind. Is it possible for Chrome to have been not installed as for "all" users or with lower privileges?

Please try to run it "As Administrator".

18 (edited by Dunn 2019-06-26 11:36:52)

Regarding the Chrome install, I just install it normally, so whatever is normal is what it is...all users and normal privileges, I presume.  It worked before, but suddenly not after the crash/random re-start. 

My auto-login account has Administrator privileges.  As you requested, I also explicitly opened Chrome using "Run as Administrator", but without any different results--previous session settings are not retained other than my login.

Regarding your previous question: in the Chrome Settings, Advanced, Site Settings, Cookies settings are:

Allow site to save and read cookie data is ON
Keep local data only until you quit your browser is OFF
Block third-party website from saving and reading cookie data is OFF
Block is NO SITES ADDED.
Clear on exit is NO SITES ADDED
Allow is NO SITES ADDED

From information noted in a previous post note, it seems like the settings information is not being saved to Local Storage (blank during the session while logged in, other than login info), which would explain why the settings could not be there upon re-initialization.  Since all Chrome cookies and files were deleted during several previous un-installs, I am back to wondering if the problem is indeed somewhere in the Registry.  Perhaps I need to indeed delete any reference to Chrome there (even though the keys looked innocuous at a glance) to clear some sort of corrupted data...if that doesn't work, maybe some Registry cleaning utility??

If necessary, I could resort to wiping and re-installing Windows 10 to clear the problem (as Mr. footon had to), not the worst thing, as I only use this workstation for Forex work, so limited software installs (unlike my primary PC), but of course I would rather just fix the problem without having to do that.

Registry files related to google/chrome don't necessarily bear clear indication in their naming.

And user data deletion doesn't really make a difference?

Maybe try force allowing of sites.

For "Allow is NO SITES ADDED" add forexsb.com and expert-advisor-studio.com

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Forex Software → Technical Matters → Computer Crashed, now EA Studio in Chrome forgets previous values