Re: MT4 Sidekick - Demo Account Barometer

Thank you for you're answer,
I hope SideKick will work on EAStudio in a future Update !

sleytus wrote:

Sidekick monitors the WinRatio of your strategies in a Demo account.  Furthermore, it could keep track of the WinRatio of BUYS and SELLS.  However, if the current WinRatio of BUYS is higher than the WinRatio of SELLS would you really want Sidekick to block future SELLS?  And if it were to block future SELLS, then how would it ever know when the trend changes and its better to SELL than BUY?

Sorry -- I just don't get it.  When you ask "why not have Sidekick trigger off the long component then, and exclude the short component" I don't know what you mean.  How would Sidekick know what the long and short components are?  In Popov's charts the long and short "components" are simply the summation of the BUYS and SELLS as a function of time.

In the past 1.5 years I've done a lot of trading and looking at data.  I've given up trying to predict the future.  However, I do feel there is an edge to be had by toggling strategies ON/OFF based on how they are currently trading.  Strategies are very simple algebraic formulas -- they perform well when the current market data matches with the data they were trained with, and they trade poorly when the current market data differs from the data they were trained with.  Using a Demo account gives you a way to determine whether or not a strategy recognizes current market data without risking any money.  And Sidekick is used to pass that insight from a Demo account to a Real account.

Thanks Steve.

Freebird wrote:

Do you think it would be helpful if Sidekick toggled strategies ON/OFF by following the long and short components vs the strategy as one unit?

Samuel -- I was re-reading your post and then it occurred to me I may have misunderstood your question -- and, if so, I apologize.  I didn't understand what you meant by long and short "components".

As I wrote earlier I think a true edge resides in toggling strategies ON/OFF based on how they are currently trading (e.g. based on their performance in a Demo account).  MT4 Sidekick currently uses WinRatio and consecutive wins as policies.  But it would also be possible to create a policy based on the performance of LONG and SHORT trades.

As you pointed -- when you examine the price chart and analyze the WinRatio of your BUYS and SELLS then there are times when it makes sense to focus on just BUYS (or just SELLS).  Since strategies in the Demo account are always trading, then it is possible to keep separate WinRatios for BUYS and SELLS.  And if the WinRatio of BUYS exceeds the WinRatio of SELLS by a certain percent then Sidekick could temporarily pause SELLS (and vice versa).

I'll think about it some more...

sleytus wrote:

Samuel -- I was re-reading your post and then it occurred to me I may have misunderstood your question -- and, if so, I apologize.  I didn't understand what you meant by long and short "components".

As I wrote earlier I think a true edge resides in toggling strategies ON/OFF based on how they are currently trading (e.g. based on their performance in a Demo account).  MT4 Sidekick currently uses WinRatio and consecutive wins as policies.  But it would also be possible to create a policy based on the performance of LONG and SHORT trades.

As you pointed -- when you examine the price chart and analyze the WinRatio of your BUYS and SELLS then there are times when it makes sense to focus on just BUYS (or just SELLS).  Since strategies in the Demo account are always trading, then it is possible to keep separate WinRatios for BUYS and SELLS.  And if the WinRatio of BUYS exceeds the WinRatio of SELLS by a certain percent then Sidekick could temporarily pause SELLS (and vice versa).

I'll think about it some more...

Thanks for the follow-up.

You've got the essence of my thought now.

I think you are absolutely right: forget trying to predict the future and just let real time stats tell you  which strategy to trade and which side (long or short) of the strategy to trade. A strategy is only in the groove episodically.

How can we identify those episodes? Maybe it is when the side of a strategy has two consecutive wins, or when a side is above a minimum winratio, or maybe when it's above a minimum return/dd ratio - i don't know. But there has to be something.

I really think you're on to something with Sidekick.  Popov has done an excellent job with strategy creation, now we need a solution to strategy activation (or toggling as you say).

Samuel

Freebird wrote:

A strategy is only in the groove episodically.

I like that -- in fact, I may borrow it from time-to-time.  But I'll leave it to you to translate for the non-native English speakers...

106 (edited by ats118765 2018-08-13 05:32:40)

Hi Guys

Interesting discussion. I manage my demo accounts on FXBlue which through it's portfolio function keeps full statistics for each magic number and is unlimited in it's ability to handle a huge array of thousands of individual strategies across separate accounts.

My demo incubation accounts of standard lot size are maintained in FXBlue and you can use the mirror function which sends trade signals to your live accounts. You just attach sender EA's to each strategy (chart) in your Demo account and the FX Blue Internet Trade Mirror copies trades from the Sender EA's to Receiver EA's on your live account charts.

Senders (in this case your demo accounts) can control which trades are broadcast and Receivers (in this case your live accounts) can control which trades are copied, and can change the lot sizing and risk settings. For example you can risk weight and compound your lot sizing in your live accounts while using standard lot sizing from your demo accounts generated by EA studio.

I like to download demo statistics from FXBlue on an ongoing basis (monthly) and manage which strats are turned off or on using correlation and return to drawdown statistics. It is not fully automated but once your spreadsheet models are up and running is an easy process to update and manage.

Anyway...just thought you might be interested in another tool that can be added to the arsenal of this great EA studio approach.

Cheers

Rich

Diversification and risk-weighted returns is what this game is about

ats118765 wrote:

Anyway...just thought you might be interested in another tool that can be added to the arsenal of this great EA studio approach.

Cheers

Rich

Thanks Rich for the info. I've only been in the FSB EAS space for a couple months so I'm still figuring out my whole work flow. I'll have to explore what you mentioned.

I'd appreciate anything else you had to share. It sounds like you have a system that hums.

Samuel

Freebird wrote:

Thanks Rich for the info. I've only been in the FSB EAS space for a couple months so I'm still figuring out my whole work flow. I'll have to explore what you mentioned.

I'd appreciate anything else you had to share. It sounds like you have a system that hums.

Samuel

Hi Freebird. I am a newcomer to EA studio as well but have spent a fair bit of time in my shady past in the portfolio management space. :-)

So I am also coming to grips with the EA studio workflow myself. I am certainly very impressed so far mate.

For me it is simply finding robust strats that seem to have a small edge. Once I have got my hands on them then risk-weighting, skew and correlation are the main areas I focus on to pump up the returns 'to infinity and beyond'.

EA studio certainly takes a load off in data mining suitable strats. Popov's process is fantastic in that regard.

At the moment I am focused on working with the outputs from EA studio to get the portfolios humming but I am looking forward to future additions that specifically address portfolio management and then we can all tan ourselves at the beach while our PC's do the hard yards in compilation.

Rich B

Diversification and risk-weighted returns is what this game is about

I have recently had some excellent results from SideKick, some days 90 percent win rate which to me is much better than at the start.

I am wondering if it would be ok to adjust the percentage from 80 to 85 or somehow make the program a little more picky, using policy 2 and keeping the 2 successful trades.

Initially I had many garbage strategies, and have gradually improved their quality and Sidekick has helped immensely, now I wish to get Sidekick to be more strict as I have quite a few strategies that have good  win loss numbers.

Is that possible.?

Thanks Steve!

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

Sorry for the delay in responding...

I am wondering if it would be ok to adjust the percentage from 80 to 85 or somehow make the program a little more picky, using policy 2 and keeping the 2 successful trades.

In the current version -- no.  There are only those two choices of Policy #1 or Policy #2.

In the near future I'll revisit MT4 Sidekick and one of the things I plan to change is to allow users to better tailor which strategies are temporarily ignored -- more like how MT4 Tracker works.

And I'm very glad to hear you are having success -- that's great news.  Thanks for letting me know.

111 (edited by Finmod123 2019-07-18 18:12:29)

Hi Sleytus!

I think that MT4 Sidekick is a really promising tool.
But it needs minor improvements to be more universal tool.
Now it works good for strategies with high number of average consecutive winners.
But, for example, if the strategy has on average 2 consecutive winners, the Sidekick will turn on this strategy to get losing trade on average (using 2 consecutive wins setting).

To be a universal equity trading tool for all strategies, it needs implementation of equity curve trading principles. For example, it should turn on the strategy if equity curve (for this strategy) is above moving average of this equity curve. And it should turn off this strategy if the equity curve (of this strategy) drops below moving average of this equity curve. The period of moving average should be an input parameter.
I can research other equity curve trading principles, but the one, mentioned above, is the most common among traders...

Hello, anyone knows if there is a similar tool? I want to purchase this one, but email not working.

Thanks in advance.