Re: MT4 Tracker -- new tool for monitoring & pruning EA portfolio

Hi sleytus,
sometimes I would find it useful, if I could remove a certain magic number completely from the initial MT4 tracker table and by this better setting up the "Before Portfolio Chart" E.G. when I have one EA which performed extremely bad before I could remove it, it ruins the scaling of the chart. Or to get a new "Compare Point" after removing some strategies.
I tried it by removing the lines in the report, but then MT4-Tracker does not accept the file any more (it seems to have some internal crosscheck) Or is there another way how I can do that?

bru1 wrote:

...sometimes I would find it useful, if I could remove a certain magic number completely from the initial MT4 tracker table...

I know exactly what you mean.  Let me think about this.  It would be fairly easy to add a feature whereby you create a list of Magic Numbers to always ignore.  I think I would prefer doing it that way than create "Compare Points".

Something similar to what you suggest and which works now is to specify a "Custom Period" in the Account History -- e.g. the last two weeks.  I often use this as a way to ignore old Magic Numbers that I used to use but which have since been pruned.  When you specify the last two weeks as your "Custom Period" then this becomes your starting point (i.e. Before Portfolio chart).

Thank you for the fast answer. the second method I also use, but cannot be used for long periode comparison where only some "disturbers" need to be hidden/removed. Your idea with an ignore list sounds very good, I would like it.

129 (edited by qattack 2017-08-12 03:44:30)

sleytus wrote:

Regarding pips -- I understand and will consider it.  But as with everything in life, there are always trade-offs.  I'm not an experienced trader so my perspective may be off, but the problem with using pips is I would no longer be able to compare one strategy with another.  The purpose of the app is to help compare strategies to one another and exclude the poor performers.  Pips have different values depending on currency pair (e.g. EURUSD vs USDJPY, lot size).  So, for example, if you were comparing two strategies -- one that won 10 pips and another that won 50 pips -- you couldn't say which was the better performer.  But, if I had one strategy that won $10 and a second that won $50, it's pretty clear you'd chose the latter.  Also, I like using the Return/DD metric -- I find that better than the the Win Ratio -- and I need to use $ to calculate that.

A clear improvement for comparison is "R-Expectancy". With this metric, you can compare ANY two strategies, across any pairs, and with any lot sizing. R-Expectancy is basically your profit for every dollar you risk. So if you risk a total of $100 and your profit is $10, your R-Expectancy is 0.10. It is also 0.10 if you risk $2,500 and your profit is $250. It seems simple (and it is), but in this way, you can directly compare different trades of different lot sizes, regardless of pair.

Read the following at your own risk:

Getting a bit more complex, I would highly suggest implementing System Quality Number. To do this with MT4Tracker, it would be extremely helpful to also add a "margin of error" function using Bayesian probability. The reason for this is that SQN doesn't become 100% dependable until a system has made 40 trades. (Actually, there are some issues with it, but it would be the best reference point available.) Unfortunately, I would be of little use in the specifics of structuring the function. Perhaps somebody else is handy with advanced statistics.

How would a Bayesian function help? This is best illustrated by an example. For this example, I'm using profit instead of SQN; it is easier to conceptualize.

Let's say that your EA has made only five trades so far. The largest loss has been -$200, the largest gain +$150, and the average return -$30. Without more information, you may already be starting to write this strategy off. The Bayesian probability might tell something like the following: In the long run, you can expect with 68% certainy for your average return to be between -$150 and +$90. And with 95% certainy your average return will be between -$190 and +$130. (These numbers are purely made up, but the general idea is there!).

Now, let's say that your EA made more trades...20 total trades now. The largest loss has been -$280 and the largest win $300. Your average return has increased to -$10. Now, you may see the following: 68% certainty that long-term average return is between -$25 and +$5; and 95% certainty that it will be between -$35 and +$15. You can probably think about throwing this one out now.

Perhaps that wasn't the best illustration, but this measure can make you understand when a system that looks quite profitable (based on a small number of trades) actually still contains a large amount of possible Variance.

Doing the same for SQN would be a bit more complicated, but even more useful, as it's hard to understand how SQN might fluctuate with small samples.

That certainly wasn't my clearest post (but then none of them seem to be!), so if you're interested in discussion, please let me know.

ThanX!
John

When you have the Portfolios run few Weeks, and the check.....

i Delete EA´s with Proftfactor lower then 0.8..

What is the experience from other users? To early with this Profit Factor delete or to late?

smile

I'm not sure there is a right or wrong answer -- though I can tell you what I do...

I focus on the number of trades, rather than weeks.  So -- if an EA trades 10 or 20 times within the first week then you can tell right away whether it is a winner or loser.

Also, if an EA trades only 2 or 3 times but loses a lot of money, then I remove it immediately.  It is true that it may later turn out to be a "late bloomer" and be a winner, but since I have so many EAs then I don't feel the need to give it a chance to lose even more money.

All the EAs that I add to a live account have very good back testing statistics.  So, when an EA starts trading poorly then it seems to me that it sort of broke its promise -- that is, its trading behavior in my live account is different than how it traded during back testing.  About 50% of the EAs in my Portfolio Experts trade similar to back testing -- so I am happy to keep those.  And the 50% that behave differently then I try to remove as soon as possible.

ok, thanks for answer smile

Steve, I haven't used MT4Tracker much yet; I tested it a few times this last week. It's fantastic.

Am I correct when I say that you must not erase the "Account History" tab of MT4? Or is there a log to retrieve this information? If not, would it possible to add a feature that can combine "detailed statements"?

ThanX!
John

qattack wrote:

Am I correct when I say that you must not erase the "Account History" tab of MT4?

I'm not sure I understand.  I don't think you can "erase" the Account History.  There is a pop-up menu where you can specify to use "All History", "Last 3 months", "Custom period", etc -- but you can not delete the account history.  You can always bring everything back by specifying "All History".

MT4 Tracker is sensitive to the "Data Horizon" you've selected for the Account History.  In fact, even when using *.mql and writing indicators and expert advisors, the APIs one uses to access transaction information is sensitive to the "Data Horizon" that was specified in the Account History tab.

Most of the time I use "All History".  But there are times when I want to focus on the past two weeks -- so I'll use "Custom Period".

No need to combine statements -- simply use the "Custom Period" to specify the "Data Horizon" you are interested in and MT4 will then create a *.htm file with just those transactions.

Ah, OK, I really haven't used Account History to a great extent previously and was very careful not to erase the data it contains; in fact, I didn't even look to see if I could or not. smile So it's me who didn't understand. ThanX!

sleytus wrote:

I know exactly what you mean.  Let me think about this.  It would be fairly easy to add a feature whereby you create a list of Magic Numbers to always ignore.  chart).

Hi Sleytus. This future would be very useful and appreciated smile What chances are that it will come to existence? Thanks!

Irmantas wrote:

What chances are that it will come to existence?

The chances?  Approximately 100%...

This was an excellent suggestion by bru1.  And it has already been implemented and added to the software.  There are several more features that have been added and are currently in various states of implementation or testing, so I'm not yet ready to release a new version.  I can't say exactly when that will be, because I don't work on it every day.  But the "Ignore" feature will definitely be available in the next version.

Look forward to that feature Sleytus - I tend to compare the live results with the demo account results for correlation, and to be able to filter out those magic numbers that I've retired would be great; at the moment I have 4 screens open - live whole data series and demo whole data, and then the last 10 days or so for live and for demo so I don't have to sift through old magic numbers.

Thanks for developing this really useful tool - it makes it all so much easier!

Hello Sleytus,
i am confused.
I have the same Strategies with 1 week Backshow and alltime Backshow load in 2 MT4 Trackers.

In First Alltime Backshow is the last 3 Trades all loss.
In Last week Backshow are the last 3 Trades loss then win then loss.

I have this Situation in many Strategies when i look over MT4 Tracker.

I dont understand this.

I load 2 Pictures where you can see it and then i load this 2 Accounthistorys

Please check it and help me, thank you smile

Pictures

Post's attachments

Sleytus1.png 616.86 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Picture 2

Post's attachments

Sleytus2.png 588.22 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Alltime History

Post's attachments

Statement_2009228.htm 1.5 mb, 7 downloads since 2017-09-15 

1 Week History

Post's attachments

Statement.htm 133.34 kb, 5 downloads since 2017-09-15 

Interesting -- I will take a closer look into this.  Thanks for including the downloads and images...

sleytus wrote:

Interesting -- I will take a closer look into this.  Thanks for including the downloads and images...

Thank you smile

I think everything is okay -- here's the explanation:

1 Week History:   Ticket #      Date                 P/L
                          12501212   2017.09.11      -4.83
                          12512390   2017.09.11      -4.86
                          12539396   2017.09.13       0.93
                          12565067   2017.09.15      -4.82

All History:
                          12539396   2017.09.13       2.85
                          12565067   <== No Ticket (since history hasn't been recently updated)

So -- you can see the first two tickets are identical.  Next, there is a problem with ticket # 12539396 -- the '1 Week' history shows a P/L of 0.93, whereas the 'All History' shows a P/L of 2.85.

Also, the 'All History' hasn't been updated for a few days, so it doesn't include ticket # 12565067.

So, it appears the two files correspond up through 2017.09.11 (or perhaps a day or two more).  All History is missing the most recent ticket # that is included in 1 Week history.  Also, there is something odd about ticket # 12539396 since it reports a different P/L for the two statements.  But that is not a problem with MT4 Tracker -- it is simply using the data that was downloaded in the *.html statement.

Hope this helps...

147 (edited by rantampla 2017-09-16 12:42:57)

sleytus wrote:

I think everything is okay -- here's the explanation:

1 Week History:   Ticket #      Date                 P/L
                          12539396   2017.09.13       0.93
                          12565067   2017.09.15      -4.82

All History:
                          12539396   2017.09.13       2.85
                          12565067   <== No Ticket (since history hasn't been recently updated)

So -- you can see the first two tickets are identical.  Next, there is a problem with ticket # 12539396 -- the '1 Week' history shows a P/L of 0.93, whereas the 'All History' shows a P/L of 2.85.

Also, the 'All History' hasn't been updated for a few days, so it doesn't include ticket # 12565067.

So, it appears the two files correspond up through 2017.09.11 (or perhaps a day or two more).  All History is missing the most recent ticket # that is included in 1 Week history.  Also, there is something odd about ticket # 12539396 since it reports a different P/L for the two statements.  But that is not a problem with MT4 Tracker -- it is simply using the data that was downloaded in the *.html statement.

Hope this helps...

Ok, thank you for helping.

Maybee i must wait 1 Day to check the History? But why i dont know.

Yes i have found it, i have wait one Day and now it is the same. Maybee the History dont ended when the Day not ended?

Thanks for helping smile

Hello again,

i have a second phenomen.

I have this Portfolio use with MT4 Tracker to deselect all bad Strategies.

Strategie 11, 15, 18, 28, 32 and 42 are excluded.

But in this week you can see the Magic Numbers 200010, 200015, 200018, 200028, 200032 and 200042 in Trade Statistiks.

This understand i not.

I give you here the Original .mq4 and the new .mq4

Can you this check please`?

Thank you smile

Original mq4

Post's attachments

EA Studio Portfolio Expert_EurUsd_H1.mq4 40.64 kb, 11 downloads since 2017-09-16 

New mq4 with excluded Strats

Post's attachments

EA Studio Portfolio Expert_EurUsd_H1-09.09.2017.mq4 42.48 kb, 11 downloads since 2017-09-16