Topic: Acceptance Criteria settings

So I was wondering what others use in terms of Acceptance Criteria Settings?  I have been having fun with 1m charts and having the following settings :

max 10% drawdown
min SQN 2.5
max days stagnation 5

What have others tried  for 1m chart?

Re: Acceptance Criteria settings

My approach when starting on a new strategy is to have no acceptance criteria and let the generator run for a few hours , then use the multi tester and see what results. Often mostly unsatisfactory results but maybe a couple ideas.

Then I let the generator run with one criteria... see what that gives...

The filters on the repository page allow you a lot of flexibility.

I like to observe win/loss, profit factor and SQN as I get closer to selecting something to really work on.

The items you have shown are great.... but I am concerned that you may miss some opportunities by having such tight requirements in the initial stages.

Keep in mind that you can choose to apply things more strictly as you progress with a strategy.

haha I don't think I answered your question.....

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

Blaiserboy wrote:

My approach when starting on a new strategy is to have no acceptance criteria and let the generator run for a few hours , then use the multi tester and see what results. Often mostly unsatisfactory results but maybe a couple ideas.

That's interesting about the multitester, I've really only been using it to see if a strategy is applicable to other pairs, how are you applying it (like other timeframes etc?)

I agree with Blaiserboy, you'll be passing up a lot of potential strategies if you keep things that tight.  I generally run them 15-25% dd and 25-50d stagnation for a first pass.  Most of the time you can pretty easily look at the equity curve after the fact and filter out things that are awful but sometimes there are outliers that can be amazing with a small tweak after generation (for instance if the sl/tp the generator came up with allowed a big drawdown but the rest of the strategy was good.)

The 1m tf is tricky, not sure if it's bad luck or not but I've been though a ton of 1m strategies that looked amazing on fsb, alright (but not as good) in demo and performed like crap live.  Still have a handful that have held up but it's easier to get a solid 5m than 1m by far (I'm sure there's probably people that say that 4h and 1d are even better but those take more patience to forward test. smile )

One other thing that might help, I always run at 40% oos during generation and optimization.  It makes it way more obvious which strategies are over optimized when you compare them in the repository collection.

you guys are GREAT!  Thank you so much for your replies

Multi tester and Multi charts are two different features in FSBPro, I am referring to Multi Tester on the Repository page.

Keep in mind that once you have used the Multi Tester and have your results, you can tweak those results by using the optimizer and playing around with different settings.

I have taken many substandard results and improved them immensely with the optimizer, I use one setting and then use another on that result....... you can literally change the strategy with the optimizer.Just because a result from Multi Tester doesn't make the grade..... does not mean you have to discard it..... you can try to enhance the results in the optimizer.

A proviso is..... if you are using a ton of indicators it may all be for nothing as curve fitting likes strategies with more than three. Even three is tough to get without curve fitting.

The reason that Popov did not make it available to have a gazillion indicators is that he knows that too many wreck the strategy long term. He did add the capability for many indicator slots because so many new traders were asking for that.

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....