forex software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

forex software

Skip to forum content

Forex Software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forex Software → Help and Support → How to backtest an EA made in MetaEditor in FSB?

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

Topic: How to backtest an EA made in MetaEditor in FSB?

Hi there

Non-programmer here..

- Does a (presumably complex) EA created in MetaEditor have to be completely recoded to be used in FSB?
(if it's even possible)
E.g. separate custom indicator files if needed; and different code for the FSB Strategy file (to support the FSB system and user interface).

- Is it possible to recreate all functionality available in a MetaEditor MQL4 Source File (and possible external files) in FSB, or are there a lot of limitations based on they way FSB works.

Much appreciated.

Re: How to backtest an EA made in MetaEditor in FSB?

Does a (presumably complex) EA created in MetaEditor have to be completely recoded to be used in FSB?

If you have the EA's indicators available in FSB you can easily set the strategy. There are more than 150 indicators for FSB that covers most of the standard cases. A programmer can make custom indicators for FSB for all possible price actions. The only limitation is that the FSB's indicators do not have access to the account and the positions. This is intentional by design. FSB solves the main problem for a trader - the psychological load on managing open positions. You know that the trading decisions and the correct situation evaluation can be seriously violated if we have a position with a moderate profit or loss. To prevent such distortion, FSB is designed to take trading decisions using information only from the market. For example, if you have a strategy that opens a long position when the market was oversold and RSI recovers from below 20. You can easily make such strategy in FSB. However, you may decide to open long only if your current position is not loosing more than $300. You can make it in MT but not in FSB. Why? Because the result of your current position has a zero effect on the new long position.  Why we have to loose the opportunity from the new entry because our previous entry (even from different strategy) was on loss.

FSB allows you to set strategies with a redefined and 100% logically correct structure. There is no such limitation in MT. For example you can make "strange" logic in MT (and all EA builders) that opens a position when RSI becomes greater than the sum of MACD + current hour. You cannot do such things in FSB without a special custom indicator.

Is it possible to recreate all functionality available in a MetaEditor MQL4 Source File (and possible external files) in FSB, or are there a lot of limitations based on they way FSB works.

No you cannot. the MetaEditor allows you programming in MQL, which is fully functional programming language now. You can program a text editor or a Tetris game in  MQL. On the other hand, FSB allows you to create only trading strategies.

It is important to understand that there is no limitations for the future development and expanding of FSB. We can do "everything" that can be done with programming on a computer. The only factor is the common sense, the time and the price. For example, we can provide a programming editor for entering code, but what is the point. We have MT, NinjaTrader, cAlgo and probably other platforms that allow programming. Why do we have to make another one.

FSB is different than MT and is developed with different purpose. If you want all the possibilities, you can use programming in MT or in NinjaTrader. If you want logically correct strategies, fast and reliable backtest and no programming, FSB is the correct tool.

I use MT5 quite a bit and have written a ton of EA's.
The problem I run into is that the backtest results are kinda crappy. It is hard to get a good definition from MT5 results.

I suggest that you start to abandon MT4 or MT5 and convert your logic to FSBPro, and I understand this will not be easy.

When you optimize in MetaTrader..... you get 10,000 iterations. whereas in FSBPro you can have unlimited numbers and can change the strategy considerably by using the controls for optimization.

I have struggled with the comparison for quite a while and gradually have come to see the advantages of getting rid of MT except for trade execution.

Probably I am not too convincing. lol, however, I am telling you what I have discovered for myself.

Good luck with this!

daveM

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

4 (edited by vidagig_13 2015-08-17 17:31:08)

Hi Popov and Dave

Thank you for the detailed and helpful replies.- it will be helpful to programmers who may want to transition to FSB for the fast and accurate backtesting (possibly using very large historical data sets); as well as all the additional FSB functionality vs. MetaEditor & MetaTrader.

Perhaps in the future it may be possible to for FSB's fast backtesting 'engine' to run Metatrader coded EAs (without any code changes) much faster and better than Metatrader - even if you can access no/or little other FSB functionality when doing this.
I realize I may be displaying my non-programmer lack of understanding with this suggestion, but what the heck - "nothing ventured, nothing gained..."

Your excellent support  is as always much appreciated, thank you.

Because Metatrader EA's are written and compiled in whatever manner...... and soo restrictive when optimizing, to me it does not seem worth while to accommodate them in FSBPro.

FSBPro can make far superior strategies....

Far better to propose, in my view, small changes that will improve the functionality of FSBPro.

Popov is far from finished in the development of this project.

As far as huge data, you can change the dates and go back as far as you like, make whatever periods u like, that should not be a drawback.

We can optimize 4 (or even more) long periods simultaneously and interchange values to get a solution.

My thinking is that the program is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy above MT5 and MT4.

Be sure to point out to Popov whatever characteristics the MT4 or MT5 ea has that you feel could be advantageous, I know he will try to incorporate those.

There may be an indicator or calculation method or logic sequence... document it completely and with pics and add it to the list.

Put them in the wish list.

Again, I have experienced similar thinking to yours and then, as time passes, I learn to utilize FSBPro features more and more.

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Forex Software → Help and Support → How to backtest an EA made in MetaEditor in FSB?