forex software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

forex software

Skip to forum content

Forex Software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forex Software → Technical Indicators → convert an MT4 custom indi please

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

Topic: convert an MT4 custom indi please

if anyone can convert this excellent Stochastics-based trend indicator by Xaphod i would be most grateful.

thanks

Re: convert an MT4 custom indi please

probably you should attach the indicator so someone can have a look at it.

Have you checked all of the indicators available.?

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

ah! didn't realize i had to hit 'Add File'

Post's attachments

Stoch-Tape.mq4 7.33 kb, 6 downloads since 2014-03-05 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

...any interest in coding this excellent trend indicator?

There are a couple people who do some coding and they do it voluntarily for the most part.

However, if it is a 'must' that you have this indicator coded, then you can place a request in the related thread and it will be done for a small fee.

You can ask Footon if he will have a look at it

http://forexsb.com/forum/topic/3549/footons-indi-corner/

I think Ahmed is better for this task, it wouldn't surprise me if he's already perfecting the pre-release version.

Speaking on the subject, isn't it just a multi-timeframe Stochastics? WTF Stoch is done already for FSB. Also it seems to me that the main effort has gone to to the visual side, use of "tape" in the name emphasizes this.

it IS a MTF Stochastics, but i am not sure what the criteria for drawing red or blue is. also the parameters seem different in this indi vs regular Stoch. i will look around for the existing MTF Stochastics for FSB that you mention.

while we are on topic, does anyone have any advice for backtesting MTF indicators in MT4?

while we are on topic, does anyone have any advice for backtesting MTF indicators in MT4?

Do you mean to use the Strategy Tester in MT4, if the EA is written in MT4 language it will work as it is written...  and depends on if the author wrote to calculate HTF from the TF being tested or if EA refers to another chart TF.

yes i meant calling MTF indi's from iCustom in an EA in the StratTester.

i understand from your post that there are 2 ways to call non-current TFs. can you tell from the code which method is being employed?

jivetrader wrote:

yes i meant calling MTF indi's from iCustom in an EA in the StratTester.

i understand from your post that there are 2 ways to call non-current TFs. can you tell from the code which method is being employed?

sure, post the EA

i am still working on an EA for this. can you tell from the indi (posted above) or does the EA determine how the MTF works?

I think you should take this to a metatrader forum and deal with coders....  I had thought this was related to FSB

ok thanks anyway. i was kind of naive to the fact that backtesting MTFs was going to be an extra challenge, with or without FSB. cheers

example....... say you want to use ma30 on a higher tf and you are using ma30 on TF5  and want to see the value for TF15....... multiply 30 time 3  =90 to get the value on the 15....

same with all the other indies.....

yes, polling for a higher TF indi value using multiplication is the route we are trying now. it is the inbetween times that are the issue, i mean for example, on M30, a HTF indi like H4 will repaint/recalc until the H4 bar close. so we were trying to use time of day as for when to poll the indi, so that we are not taking repaintable values. this brought up issues with time&date and daylight savings and that whole can of worms...perhaps this is wrong direction.

anyway i wonder when it is worth the effort of converting MT4 custom indi's to FSB custom indi's. are there particular cases where it is known to be NOT worth it (eg very complex indi, sure, ok)  or does it depend on how the indi operates?

I use only the indies that come with FSB, I had many custom indies and found that I could do just as well with what is available in the package.

We all have different views as to what will work, I try to keep my stuff very simple so that I can reduce curve fitting.

You might consider that approach before developing complex robots.

thank you for the tip, my instincts were leading me toward using simpler indi's too.
cheers

jivetrader wrote:

thank you for the tip, my instincts were leading me toward using simpler indi's too.
cheers

Once you build a little 'family' of robots and they are on live charts you will find that they demand a lot of attention and that if they have too many variables they will be difficult to manage.

I sent a lot of time making a variety of complex robots and had a ton of trouble.

Jive, search for WTF (wider timeframe) indicators in the indi repository.

About the indi porting and its worth - I will not try to port a repainting indi, not even at gunpoint wink Complexity is not an issue in itself (given it doesn't exceed the coding capability), the bigger question is will it be worth it. If you use FSB for a while, you'll see how similar some indicators are to each other. They have variations, but those are minor, especially when looking at stats and results.

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Forex Software → Technical Indicators → convert an MT4 custom indi please