Topic: Reversal trades at US close

Hi,
I don't have a programmer's brain, so need some help in getting the first few steps of my strategy up and running. Strategy as follows:-

IF US close of H1 bar closes down THEN go long
IF                  "                        up    THEN go short.

SL=70 pips
TP=50 pips.

Could some kind person help me get started?

Thanks

Re: Reversal trades at US close

Hi blott,

try this one attached.

• I used the "Entry Time" indicator to limit the entry hour to be the US close time

Enter the market between the specified hours
  From hour (incl.) - 21
  From min (incl.) - 55
  Until hour (excl.) - 22
  Until min( excl.) - 10

You should adjust the From and Until hours to match your brokers US close time;
The "Bar Opening" Opening Point will ensure that the trade enters only at the bar opening, at the specified hours.

• I used the "Previous Bar Opening" indicator ("The bar opens above the previous Bar Opening") to best match the bullish/bearish H1 bar condition;

There is no "bullish/bearish bar" indicator, but "Previous Bar Opening" is the closest we can find.

The only case where it could not be accurate is when there is a gap between the H1 bar that closes at the US close time and the opening of the following H1 bar, and this gap would be larger than the closing H1 bar open-close difference.
Which is very unlikely (only 1 tick separates the previous bar close from the current bar open).

I hope this helps.

Sq

Post's attachments

blott-US-close-H1-continuation.xml 10.69 kb, 15 downloads since 2013-06-25 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Hi SQ,
Thanks for taking the time to do that. I manged to get the equity line to go positive by selecting 'Shortest bar interpolation method'. I'll keep playing around with it.

What do I do with the xml file? How do I load that into FSB?

Cheers,

Mike

Squalou wrote:

Hi blott,

try this one attached.

• I used the "Entry Time" indicator to limit the entry hour to be the US close time

Enter the market between the specified hours
  From hour (incl.) - 21
  From min (incl.) - 55
  Until hour (excl.) - 22
  Until min( excl.) - 10

You should adjust the From and Until hours to match your brokers US close time;
The "Bar Opening" Opening Point will ensure that the trade enters only at the bar opening, at the specified hours.

• I used the "Previous Bar Opening" indicator ("The bar opens above the previous Bar Opening") to best match the bullish/bearish H1 bar condition;

There is no "bullish/bearish bar" indicator, but "Previous Bar Opening" is the closest we can find.

The only case where it could not be accurate is when there is a gap between the H1 bar that closes at the US close time and the opening of the following H1 bar, and this gap would be larger than the closing H1 bar open-close difference.
Which is very unlikely (only 1 tick separates the previous bar close from the current bar open).

I hope this helps.

Sq

Wanna precise white/black bar? Use my Custom Moving Average Crossover, it's in my indi thread.

blott wrote:

Hi SQ,
Thanks for taking the time to do that. I manged to get the equity line to go positive by selecting 'Shortest bar interpolation method'. I'll keep playing around with it.

Cheers,

Mike

Playing with the Interpollation method is IMO not a way to find a better/profitable setting.
It just tells FSB how to "invent" the price route inside a bar when no lower timeframe history data is available.
If changing the interpollation method makes the strategy switch from loosing to profitable, then the strategy is crap...
It tells you that the stragtegy is not reliable, because you cannot tell for sure what will happen with real price feed.

FSB is an absolutely fantastic tool to (very) quickly test an idea and see how slightly changing some of the parameters will impact the results.
Optimization WITH OOS (i usually set OOS to 40%) is also very handy to see the "stability" of the strategy.

Improving your "go long on white bar at US close" strat will most probably require the help of some other ingredients...
But at least now you know what to expect from that simple idea.

Writing an MT4 EA just to test this strategy would have required some non-trivial coding time.
Not even talking about coding those additional needed ingredients...

What you can do from here is run the Generator on top of this "foundation", but locking the indicators slots of this strategy and allow the generator to "go get" the ingredients for you...

Sq

blott wrote:

The xml file go into your FSB installation in C:\Program Files\Forex Strategy Builder\User Files\Strategies
(if you have FSB at its default installation location).

What Squalou said is absolutely right.
Other way to load a strategy from xml is to drag and drop this file over FSB or FST.

8 (edited by Squalou 2013-06-26 21:51:52)

footon wrote:

Wanna precise white/black bar? Use my Custom Moving Average Crossover, it's in my indi thread.

i didn't think about using an MA crossover...
good idea!
Although we are not actually using the "crossover" condition itself, but rather the order of the MAs (which one is on top of the other).

The standard MA crossover FSB indicator won't allow us finding white/black candles, because the "Base Price" applies to both Fast and Slow MAs, and we need Close on one, and Open on the other.
Footon's custom MA crossover allows separate Base Price for each MA, so that's the way to go.
The idea is that we use a 1-period MA applied on Close prices as the "fast" MA,
and that same 1-period MA, but applied on Open Prices, as the "slow" MA.
The condition is then "Fast MA crosses Slow MA upwards" to go Long.

You will need the fixed version of footon's indicator available here:
http://forexsb.com/forum/post/20805/#p20805
for this strategy to work.

"Custom Moving Averages Crossover.cs" goes in
C:\Program Files\Forex Strategy Builder\User Files\Indicators

The true white/black continuation strategy is then:

Post's attachments

blott-US-close-H1-continuation-with MAcrossover.xml 13.16 kb, 10 downloads since 2013-06-26 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Squalou wrote:
footon wrote:

i didn't think about using an MA crossover...
good idea!
Although we are not actually using the "crossover" condition itself, but rather the order of the MAs (which one is on top of the other).

The standard MA crossover FSB indicator won't allow us finding white/black candles, because the "Base Price" applies to both Fast and Slow MAs, and we need Close on one, and Open on the other.
Footon's custom MA crossover allows separate Base Price for each MA, so that's the way to go.
The idea is that we use a 1-period MA applied on Close prices as the "fast" MA,
and that same 1-period MA, but applied on Open Prices, as the "slow" MA.
The condition is then "Fast MA crosses Slow MA upwards" to go Long.

You will need the fixed version of footon's indicator available here:
http://forexsb.com/forum/post/20805/#p20805
for this strategy to work.

"Custom Moving Averages Crossover.cs" goes in
C:\Program Files\Forex Strategy Builder\User Files\Indicators

The true white/black continuation strategy is then:

Thanks for the "manual" for my indi. It should come bundled with it, there are questions like this at least 3 times a year big_smile

Widening the subject a bit - more interesting ideas:
http://forexsb.com/forum/topic/18/white … vious-bar/
http://forexsb.com/forum/topic/19/three … -in-a-row/

Thanks SQ and others for your help.

I'll go away and have a rethink!

Thanks,

Mike

Squalou wrote:
blott wrote:

Hi SQ,

Cheers,

Mike

Playing with the Interpollation method is IMO not a way to find a better/profitable setting.
It just tells FSB how to "invent" the price route inside a bar when no lower timeframe history data is available.
If changing the interpollation method makes the strategy switch from loosing to profitable, then the strategy is crap...
It tells you that the stragtegy is not reliable, because you cannot tell for sure what will happen with real price feed.

FSB is an absolutely fantastic tool to (very) quickly test an idea and see how slightly changing some of the parameters will impact the results.
Optimization WITH OOS (i usually set OOS to 40%) is also very handy to see the "stability" of the strategy.

Improving your "go long on white bar at US close" strat will most probably require the help of some other ingredients...
But at least now you know what to expect from that simple idea.

Writing an MT4 EA just to test this strategy would have required some non-trivial coding time.
Not even talking about coding those additional needed ingredients...

What you can do from here is run the Generator on top of this "foundation", but locking the indicators slots of this strategy and allow the generator to "go get" the ingredients for you...

Sq