forex software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

forex software

Skip to forum content

Forex Software

Create and Test Forex Strategies

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forex Software → Technical Indicators → Dynamic Stop Loss

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

Topic: Dynamic Stop Loss

A Stop Loss that is fixed wouldn't work in a market that is constantly changing.We might be setting us up for more risk than is needed.

Please can someone create an dynamic stop loss which would take the highest high/lowest low of the last X bars and place it +Y/-Y pips above this level. Default is 0.

e.g. Dynamic stop loss. x=5 y=20.

It will look at the last 5 bars, determine the what the low of the lowest bar is, then minus another 20 pips and place the stop loss here.

It will look at the last 5 bars, determine the what the high of the highest bar is, then add another 20 pips and place the stop loss here.

2 (edited by dr.B 2012-10-29 21:55:29)

Re: Dynamic Stop Loss

you might run into a problem with this arangment.  the SL might increase every bar and not untill the move is over the 20 pp u will close.  if the market keeps going against u at increments of less than 20 pp than u can loose lots of $ ( 5 bars of 19 pips = 95pp+20SL = 115pp )

angat wrote:

A Stop Loss that is fixed wouldn't work in a market that is constantly changing.We might be setting us up for more risk than is needed.

Please can someone create an dynamic stop loss which would take the highest high/lowest low of the last X bars and place it +Y/-Y pips above this level. Default is 0.

It will look at the last 5 bars, determine the what the low of the lowest bar is, then minus another 20 pips and place the stop loss here.

It will look at the last 5 bars, determine the what the high of the highest bar is, then add another 20 pips and place the stop loss here.

No im not saying the SL changes as time goes on, I'm saying it only calculates it for when opening the trade only.

Long trade initialised, checks the last 5 bars, finds the lowest point, place SL 20 pips below this point. This SL is then fixed here for the entire trade.

angat wrote:

No im not saying the SL changes as time goes on, I'm saying it only calculates it for when opening the trade only.

Long trade initialised, checks the last 5 bars, finds the lowest point, place SL 20 pips below this point. This SL is then fixed here for the entire trade.

I know what you mean here. Interesting idea, and because it's a method which many "manual" traders use when setting sl's it's kind of an intuitive fit as a tool for strategy building.

If there's a way to accomplish this currently I'm unaware of it. Sounds like a nice addition to me.

5 (edited by acerguest 2012-10-31 15:32:16)

Look at Custom Donchian Channels indicator.
But it will trail on X last bar you choosed - so it`s not fixed stop.

acerguest wrote:

Look at Custom Donchian Channels indicator.
But it will trail on X last bar you choosed - so it`s not fixed stop.

that might give rise to the issue Dr.B said above which isnt good.

angat wrote:

Hello,
One way to realize your idea is to use calculations based on ATR (other way using PSAR, ADR, Tenkan/Kijun/Kumo if you are using Ichimoku Strategy, and many more), but I do not think this is possible with FSB / FST since FSB/FST do not provide the facility for this function. However actually there are many MT4 Expert Advisor intended for this purpose. So in the end, you use FST only to execute the trade and then the MT4 EA will set the initial TP / SL / TS. Well, maybe we can hope that one day Mr. Popov will provide this facility in the FSB / FST so the overall of our trading strategy can be integrated in one application only.
Hope this help. Sorry for the english, google translate.

Well, maybe we can hope that one day Mr. Popov will provide this facility in the FSB / FST so the overall of our trading strategy can be integrated in one application only.

I'll do this, but it's not a priority now.
I'm rewriting completely FSB. The new version will be much easier for expansion.
The new version will be compatible with the existing strategies and indicators.
It will have two variants: free and pro. Higher time frame and different symbols will be available for all indicators.
Once this is ready. I'll work on FST to make it trading multiple strategies.
Later I'll change indicators in a way to have access to positions and account state. Than it will be easy to make custom Stop Loss and Take Profit.

I don't supposed Mr Popov has some free time to create my Dynamic Stop Loss are based on my first post smile

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Forex Software → Technical Indicators → Dynamic Stop Loss