Topic: Question - Adding Positions with a STOP LIMIT

I have come up with a decent strategy but when I study the journal of trades I am unable to say for sure what happens to the STOP LOSS and TAKE PROFIT of the original and new positions. I have found examples of both when going over the data:

Sometimes :
When you ADD the ORGINAL positions target/SL stands for both the new and old position

and Sometimes:
When you ADD the NEW positions Target/SL stands for both the new and old position

Can someone please help me I have been racking my brain over this one:

THE STRATEGY IS BELOWMarket: EURUSD 1 Day
Spread in pips: 2.00
Swap Long in pips: 0.00
Swap Short in pips: 0.00
Commission per lot at opening and closing in pips: 0.00
Slippage in pips: 0

Maximum open lots: 20.00
Entry lots: 1.00
Adding lots: 1.00
Reducing lots: 1.00

Intrabar scanning: Not accomplished
Interpolation method: Pessimistic scenario
Ambiguous bars: 86
Tested bars: 5736
Balance: 13500 pips (23500.00 USD)
Minimum account: -1022 pips (8978.00 USD)
Maximum drawdown: 1313 pips (1313.00 USD)
Time in position: 54 %

[Strategy Properties]
     A same direction signal - Adds to the position
     An opposite direction signal - Reduces the position
     Permanent Stop Loss - None
     Permanent Take Profit - None
     Break Even - None

[Opening Point of the Position]
     Heiken Ashi
     Enter long at the H.A. Low
     Base price  -  High, Low, Open, Close
     Use previous bar value  -  Yes

[Opening Logic Condition]
     Moving Average
     The bar opens below the Moving Average after opening above it
     Smoothing method  -  Simple
     Base price  -  Median
     Period  -  1
     Shift  -  0
     Use previous bar value  -  Yes

[Closing Point of the Position]
     Stop Limit
     Exit at the Stop Loss or the Take Profit level
     Stop Loss  -  89
     Take Profit  -  165

Re: Question - Adding Positions with a STOP LIMIT

Is anyone else getting the same problem with this strategy?

Is the strategy published corrrectly?

This Is even better when set to optimistic can someone help me out with this one I want to get it trading

Optimistic defines the interpolation of ambiguous bars = interpolated optimistically.

Nice strat btw, workable I think.

You state you have problems, what problems? I'm not sure I understand you right. If you think you want to go live, please test it in a demo account first! Observing that might answer some of your questions.

footon wrote:

Optimistic defines the interpolation of ambiguous bars = interpolated optimistically.

You state you have problems, what problems? I'm not sure I understand you right. If you think you want to go live, please test it in a demo account first! Observing that might answer some of your questions.

The problem is when adding a position in the strategy Its unclear as to whether the new or old stop-loss is used after an addition and if for both positions

mixmanmatt wrote:
footon wrote:

The problem is when adding a position in the strategy Its unclear as to whether the new or old stop-loss is used after an addition and if for both positions

Additions should use new stop, make a test strat and verify it in a demo, then you'll have solid understanding.

One other thing - check this post, it might be useful for you: http://forexsb.com/forum/post/10390/#p10390

Thanks your post and link were helpful

Im going to re-study the Journal and chart to see if I can identify exactly what is happening to the stoploss and take profits but as I remember I found both examples.

I will try to post pictures of what Im talking about

8 (edited by mixmanmatt 2011-12-13 19:06:25)

Here is the problem: in the first oval is one addition where the original positions stoploss stands for both positions

In the second oval is two additions where the position in the middle stoploss stands for all three positions

In this images I have changed the strategy to "Nothing" for the Opposite Direction Signal Option and actually ended up in more profit. This chart shows the very first trades of the strategy so If you have the same data as me you can see it for yourself

http://s6.postimage.org/sr03bfzx9/Chartbacktested.jpg