Topic: Question Regarding 'Opening Point of the Position' and CCI

Hello everyone- First I'd like to say thank you for the forum and for FSB.

Have a quick one regarding a CCI based entry if anyone would be willing.

Asked simply:

Is CCI available as 'Opening Point of the Position' logic?

Explained:

I'm looking to achieve entry when the CCI crosses the level line upward. (in this particular case I've defined it as 100).  I have added CCI as an 'Opening Logic Condition,' however the position will of course be opened based on the logic of the 'Opening Point of the Position' as well.

Where I'm running into difficulty is in setting the logic and parameters of the 'Opening Point of the Position' - Although there's a wide variety of options for setting the 'Opening Point of the Position', among them I'm not seeing CCI.

This creates difficulty by producing significantly different results than if only the CCI 'Opening Logic Condition' is used. (For example, if 'Opening of the Bar' is used as opening point and we're using a 1-minute bar, it's possible that 55-60 seconds [and etc. for other time frames] could pass after the CCI has crossed the 100 level upward and the position is finally opened. )

Therefore, I'm looking for a way to open the position solely based on the CCI logic.

So to clarify-- the 'Opening Point of the Position' logic would in essence be:   Long market order is entered when CCI crosses the level (100) line upward. Without any additional opening point parameters (aside from lot size etc.).

Is this possible at this point?

Re: Question Regarding 'Opening Point of the Position' and CCI

To answer short, no. It's not possible because one can confirm cross after the bar has closed. That way there are no false crosses or breakouts and everything is reproducable. The latter is the basis of true and accurate backtest.

I see-  I hadn't considered that angle, but it makes perfect sense. Thanks for the quick response, very much appreciated.

It puts the testing of the strategy I'm working on in a difficult spot because of the time involved. I'm looking for a quick scalp movement based on the CCI cross and in this case, even on a 1 minute bar, a few missed pips could mean a lost opportunity or a stop out.

I almost hesitate to ask because I can't see a way in which it'd be possible at this point, but if anyone had any thoughts or a suggestion off the top of their head as to how this CCI cross could be simulated ("mid bar," so to speak) it'd be very much appreciated.

One additional question if someone could-

Would this type of strategy be compatible with execution through FST? (again, "mid bar")

For example: Would FST be able to send an order signal immediately upon detecting that the CCI had crossed the specified level, or like FSB would the order be delayed until bar closing?

In theory it can be done! I'm sorry but I don't remember whether I have tested it or not, so confirming the following is up to you.

[Opening Point of the Position]
Moving Average
     Enter the market at the Moving Average
     Smoothing method  -  Simple
     Base price  -  Close
     Period  -  1
     Shift  -  0
     Use previous bar value  -  No

[Opening Logic Condition]
Commodity Channel Index
     The CCI crosses the Level line upward
     Smoothing method  -  Simple
     Base price  -  Typical
     Smoothing period  -  14
     Level  -  100
     Multiplier  -  0.015
     Use previous bar value  -  No

Very important: in the Strategy menu untick "auto control of previous bar value (PBV) usage", and do the same in the indicator windows also (lower left corner).

Be advised that what you see in FSB is not realistic, live trades will be different and should be pretty close to what you want, but you have to confirm it live.

Hope this helps!

I wanted to report back on this-

Footon, many thanks- Using the moving average does clean this up a great deal. The results of the tests I was running were actually significantly improved, which was a nice bonus.

In addition to providing a more accurate representation of what's going on during the period's lifespan, I would guess that using the average of the prices within the period provides a more accurate prediction of a price the trader/tester could expect to execute at. (again, if the tester is trading an indicator in real time as opposed to bar close, bar open etc.)

I'll probably continue to look for a way to simulate the actual CCI cross in real time, although it could be that it's truly impossible through FSB. If I come across something and have time maybe I'll report it back here.

Thanks again.