Re: is anyone making money with FSB&FST?

However, what I don't know is how FSB creates the ticks within a bar in its backtests

smile The big secret is that FSB doesn't create ticks when using the "Pessimistic" method. It uses the relative position of the orders to the current price.

The "Shortest" interpolation method is very similar to what MT4 provides. It was the first one available in FSB v1.0 since 2006. Very soon after publishing it the user reported holy grail scenarios and we invented the other methods.

I'll select an example & PM it to you.

Please post the strategy in the forum. Let's see the problem and the solution publicly.

I have fairly good luck with FSBPro.

My experience with Metattrader 4 and 5 is that for some reason the software is not always accurate in its calculations and that causes some differences from time to time.

I am no wizard with either of the softwares and I do not expect perfection, my expectation is a profit and so far, FSBPro is delivering approximately what I expect to see.

As an aside, a couple users have created signal services and are collecting subscription fees, somehow they have found a way to use FSPPro to their advantage.

Work a little more with the software and you will find it to be most valuable and also profitable.

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

How do you call MT backtester over at Hopwood's? "Craptester"? Yes, I think it is "craptester", maybe there's your problem.

Jokes aside, how much analysis have you done comparing both side by side? In recent times I'm so time-strapped, otherwise I would (and I plan to) make extensive forward-testing to get the essence out of the new stat features Pro offers, and see how they fare in real conditions.

If you don't find obvious mistakes or ambiguity in FSB's or MT's trades, I would side with FSB. True, things can go wrong, and some years back I had my share of those as well, but most critical problems were MT related...

slipshod wrote:

I looked at FSB/FST a couple of years ago, then took a holiday from trading due to other commitments.  Coming back to it recently I was impressed with how the software has improved, but I have real reservations about going live with any strategy created in this software.

My reasoning is simple - I find it fairly easy to create strategies in FSB with a good profit factor, system quality & sharpe ratio with a steady equity curve with an acceptable amount of drawdown, even creating them with large out of sample tests.

However, when I create an EA and run a backtest in Metatrader, using exactly the same data, I'm finding that the systems either track sideways or make steady losses.  I've been completely unable to replicate an FSB equity curve in a MT4 backtest in numerous strategies I've developed so far, and yes in FSB I'm specifying a large spread & commission plus using the Pessimistic setting.

I don't know why it is, but unfortunately until I can get the MT4 results to match what FSB is showing me this will remain an interesting toy to experiment with, but nothing more.

Ah I do see one problem - I've been designing the bare bones of a strategy then getting the generator to go off & see if there's ways to refine & improve them.  Most of the time when it succeeds in doing so, it adds a "Next same direction signal" option to either "Add" or "Winner".  While those work well in the FSB backtest, in a MT4 backtest of the EA they fail badly, often taking multiple trades within seconds of each other.

I'd like to lock that particular part of the strategy & prevent the generator from changing it, but I can't see a way to do so...

No check marks - no changes.

Post's attachments

additional_signals.png
additional_signals.png 48.67 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

56 (edited by slipshod 2015-04-26 09:51:44)

Great thanks, I'll give that a try.  Attached is an example of a strategy that used a "Winner" addition, and how it differs between backtests, hopefully it'll be helpful.  Also I apologize in advance for the spamming of images, its just much easier to communicate what I'm seeing in screenshots.

Here's how it looks in FSB...
http://i.imgur.com/95tbCtm.png

And the results of a tick-based MT4 backtest of the exported EA over the same data & timespan...
http://i.imgur.com/dC9XsoK.png

Here's some of the trades taken in FSB...
http://i.imgur.com/1HiOUTa.png

And the equivalent period in the MT4 backtest.  MT4 is not taking as many trades, also sometimes its adding multiple entries on the same candle which isn't happening in FSB (note the 2015.02.09 entries in particular), which to me looks like an error in the EA...
http://i.imgur.com/9eBsv1A.png

When I take the "winner" option out of the FSB strategy, its equity curve looks much more like MT4's...
http://i.imgur.com/0amhXSk.png

Lastly, re-reading my first post on this thread it comes across as deriding FSB, which wasn't my intention as this really is an amazing product, I just want to be sure of my ground before I start throwing real money at strategies I develop with it.  Also Miroslav I do appreciate your prompt & helpful responses.

Post's attachments

M5 EURUSD 2.xml 13.55 kb, 5 downloads since 2015-04-26 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

SlipShod

We all learn from your questions. I have asked more than my share.

I have had things I wanted to understand and did not know how to ask until someone else asked.

Further, Popov wants to be sure that people can use the program effectively and one of your questions may help a lot of other people.

Additionally, Popov wants to enhance the program to suit the users, our questions and complaints serve as to a giuide as to what we want and need.

I wonder if you could email that strategy to Popov, his email is in his profile.  I am sure he will want to see the discrepancy real time so he can analyze the differences.

Thanks greatly for posting that, I know that Ahmed and Footon are also interested.

We can not really know until someone actually runs the thing real time. I am really suspicious of Metaquotes both 4 and 5, part of the reason being that they do not provide much in the way of worthwhile statistics.

I am not so sure that a MT4 backtest will be reliable regarding slippage as compared to a real account trading.

I have often seen that indicators on an MT4 screen are inaccurate.

In any event, Metaquotes is in it to make money as are the brokers and we all have heard of cases where there was some intentional distortions.

Hopwood calls them criminals for good reason!

I think our advantage comparing with Metaquotes is that if we find a bug or issue, we can discuss it openly and eventually we can find a solution and to fix it.

I do my best to make FSB as good and reliable as possible. Therefore, all your feedback is very important and welcome to me.

60 (edited by slipshod 2015-04-26 14:42:50)

Blaiserboy wrote:

I wonder if you could email that strategy to Popov, his email is in his profile.  I am sure he will want to see the discrepancy real time so he can analyze the differences.

Hopefully my post above has everything needed, the strategy's xml file is attached.

We can not really know until someone actually runs the thing real time. I am really suspicious of Metaquotes both 4 and 5, part of the reason being that they do not provide much in the way of worthwhile statistics.

I am not so sure that a MT4 backtest will be reliable regarding slippage as compared to a real account trading.

Oh I agree totally, I'm deeply suspicious of anything Metaquotes comes up with.  I don't think its any accident that "opening price" backtests in MT4 are deliberately incorrect, or that the "every tick" backtests take FOREVER to run.  I mean, the one I posted took 16 hours to complete on my very powerful PC, which is obviously a real hindrance to using the platform for any kind of real backtest work, forgetting the absence of OOS testing and Monte Carlo analysis.

What I'd expect though is that MT4's backtests would tend to sugar-coat results to make them look better than they really are, as its in Metaquotes' (and their brokers) interests for you to stop researching & start trading.  When therefore MT4 shows a significantly worse result than an independant product like FSB, I need to question what's going on.  At the very least I'd like to see a reasonable degree of correlation between the two.

Btw in my MT4 backtests I deliberately set the spread quite high (100 points) to mimic the effect of slippage.

Edit: Quick note on Steve Hopwood's site, which I've frequented on & off over the years.  There's some wonderful people & brilliant minds there but there seems to be an entrenched belief that backtesting is useless, that only forward testing is of any value.  I can understand not wanting to backtest with MT4, indeed it'd be impossible with many of the multi timeframe systems in development there, but to me a rigorous backtest is essential.  I simply won't waste time forward-testing a system if its backtest shows it blowing out accounts, and by refusing to test I'm afraid many of those guys are groping forward in the dark like blind men in a coal mine hoping to find a diamond. 

Sorry, that's rather off-topic for this thread, I'll end my little mini-rant there wink

Edit #2: What I'd really love one day is the ability to export to cAlgo EAs, so I can dump MT4 once & for all.

In a post somewhere, Popov mentioned that he could make FSBPro compatible with another software, I am not sure as to which one he mentioned.

I am sure that if there is a software that is used by a bunch of people, he will be glad to make the compatibility available.

Is 'CAlgo' a common software that is used by Forex brokers.... and have you used it to satisfaction.?

Perhaps Steve's gang does not have access to the tools in FSBPro so their backtests may be useless.... We have some excellent tools to test our EA's with, and if there are any more that you can think of, please suggest those.

daveM

Edit #2: What I'd really love one day is the ability to export to cAlgo EAs, so I can dump MT4 once & for all.

I wonder, slipshod how is it any different MT4  - it is the first time I hear of cAlgo so you might want to share a few good words about it?

http://www.fxpro.co.uk/trading/platforms/ecn/calgo

yavor99 wrote:

I wonder, slipshod how is it any different MT4  - it is the first time I hear of cAlgo so you might want to share a few good words about it?

cAlgo is the EA development part of cTrader.  It uses C# rather than a proprietary language like MQL.  Its use is slowly spreading among brokers - locally to me IC Markets has offered it for a while now.

Slipshod, you feedback was absolutely valuable for everyone.

There was a bug in the Heiken Ashi MQL code.

Now the code is fixed and available for autoupdate. Restart you FSB Pro copy and it will download the new code 20-30 seconds later.

If you encounter other issues, please report.

I'll check what cAlgo offers. If it is promising, I'll try to implement export to cAlgo. However, I may first do that for Ninja Trader. FastBrokers also asked for a backtester. I'll do all of this one by one.

Thank you slipshod

Amazing support!!

That took a couple hours on a Sunday!

Da Best..!~

Blaiserboy wrote:

Amazing support!!

That took a couple hours on a Sunday!

Da Best..!~

Absolutely - I am seriously impressed!