Re: Windows 8 issues

I am pleased you got some satisfaction. This has been a frustrating few days for you.

Good Luck.!!

My 'secret' goal is to push EA Studio until I can net 3000 pips per day....

27 (edited by jgp 2013-05-30 10:17:25)

well, thanks, but I have only got that one trade on one chart out of 6 connected.  and note the time that trade occurred  May30 00:00.  one hell of a coincidence.  looks like I've got a long row to hoe on the Win8 User Account Control, whatever that is. my guess is that in order for the FST  EA to execute a trade, the UAC has to approve it, and with current settings there's no way for the UAC to do that.  Maybe I can disable the damned thing so it doesn't have to approve everything I do.  Some security!!! Win8 totally sucks!!!

Master Popov, what User Account Control settings did you use on your new Win8 laptop?

I haven't change anything. I just simply installed FXCM MT4, FSB and FST with their default params.

Midas Touch? Now why does that not surprise?

more of Win8 Totally Sucks;

Summary:
Navigate to the directory above the one you're having trouble with.  (For example, to remove the limitations to your Desktop - navigate to c:\users\<usernamehere>.  Then you'll see "Desktop" listed.)
Right click on the directory you want to "unlock".  (In the example used, "Desktop" is what I want to unlock.)
Select "Properties", then un-check the "Read Only" attribute.
Click "Ok" - and if appropriate, tell it to apply to all files, folders and sub-folders.  (This is assumed to be the case if you're doing this here.  Otherwise, you would navigate to specific files and folders and unlock them.)

jgp did this for FSB, FST, and the MT4s files/folders and it appears to be a partial solution to the countless  Error messages =>'Screw You, jgp.  You don't have authorization to modify this file/folder'

guess what -  Win8 defeats all my efforts to make it work.  The above fix - for reasons known only MS and the aliens among us -  doesn't last.

@jgp what if you install FSB, FST and MT in d:. There must not be any "access" problems. For FSB and FST you can simply copy their folders. They will work because are portable. As I know MT4 also (not sure).

34 (edited by jgp 2013-05-31 08:00:55)

back when my Win7 was my main PC and WinXP my backup I used to download FSB, FST, Data, Strategies on to a 2.0 gig flash drive and thence to the PCs.  But trying to transfer strategies or data from FSB to FST is virtually impossible now on Win8 or saving date from a MT4 platform to FSB is maddening.  Since Win8 appears to be schizophrenic, I'll try to go the flash drive route again.  Hope Win8 doesn't wind up having 3 personalities, rather than 2.  thanks for support.  Have managed to get several FST-EA trades on the AlpariUS and FXCM demos.  None yet on AlpariUK.  by the way all continues to go well with FSB, FST, FST-EA on AlpariU and AlpariUK on old rebuilt Win7 HP PC.  knock on wood

can you suggest witch Windows server version will work better on a VPS ? Windows server 2003,2008, 2012 ? thank you

I am using virtualised Windows XP for FSB Pro. There are an option available how to extend windows XP support up to 2019:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/18 … of-updates

zenoni wrote:

I am using virtualised Windows XP for FSB Pro. There are an option available how to extend windows XP support up to 2019:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/18 … of-updates

The security updates that could be installed are intended for Windows Embedded and Windows Server 2003 customers and do not fully protect Windows XP customers. Windows XP customers also run a significant risk of functionality issues with their machines if they install these updates, as they are not tested against Windows XP.

If I followed the article correctly - you are going to let your XP windows install updates that are not meant for XP. In my opinion you would do more harm than good. Why not just go with the latest XP version (Service Pack) if you happen to own the license, instead of resorting to hacks that actually have a good chance of making your whole system collapse?!

On the other hand if you are using a Virtual system, why would you install XP and not windows 7 for example. Resources?!
Differences in benchmarks are negligible http://www.maximumpc.com/article/review … w?page=0,3 but the features and support of windows 7 are much better than XP.

I would shoot for stability and compatibility instead for speed and lower resource usage.

yavor99 wrote:

On the other hand if you are using a Virtual system, why would you install XP and not windows 7 for example. Resources?!
Differences in benchmarks are negligible http://www.maximumpc.com/article/review … w?page=0,3 but the features and support of windows 7 are much better than XP.

I would shoot for stability and compatibility instead for speed and lower resource usage.

You are right, the main reason for using Windows XP are resources. If I upgrade then I will need to switch to better hardware. At the present moment I don't need to upgrade and buy new licenses and also the hardware is better with XP than Win 7.

Windows XP rebranded to Windows POSReady. There are no reason to use this hack (latest XP SP3 + updates are just enough for single task laike Mt4 + FSB Pro), I just tried that hack and have used this since april 2014 without any problems. In virtualised environment I can use snapshots before each update. Of couse I don't know when thare will be issues because XP is noit officially supported.